NaNoWriMo '12

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: NaNoWriMo '12

#31 Post by CheeryMoya »

Not going to even try tackling WriMo at this point in time but for those of you going in, you might want to give WriteorDie or WrittenKitten a whirl to keep you on track. Both motivate you to write, though the first does so by deleting words if you don't type and the latter rewards you with pictures of kittens. Whichever one floats your boat?

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#32 Post by Sharm »

tigerkidde: Actually, it has to be fiction, so a non-fiction novel like a how-to book or a memoir isn't allowed.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#33 Post by Anna »

CheeryMoya wrote:Not going to even try tackling WriMo at this point in time but for those of you going in, you might want to give WriteorDie or WrittenKitten a whirl to keep you on track. Both motivate you to write, though the first does so by deleting words if you don't type and the latter rewards you with pictures of kittens. Whichever one floats your boat?
I saw the reward-with-kittens one last time, it's hilarious XD. Still, the best way to motivate yourself is by having intrinsic motivations in my opinion.

mdchan
Completed: Toby's Tales I
Projects: Dior (series)
Organization: The Lone Wolf

#34 Post by mdchan »

tigerkidde wrote:
Sharm wrote:Apparently since it's piece of narrative fiction that will be at least 50k long, a Visual Novel is perfectly valid for NaNo. This is what happens when I try to rebel, I get told that it's just fine, I wasn't breaking the rules anyway. :D

mark_laverdiere: That sounds like non-fiction, are you the rebel then?
Outlines seem to be fine.

From my understanding, as long as you haven't written any story before November, you would not be considered a rebel.

e.g. writing chapters 1-4 in October, then writing the rest in November may be rebel behavior.
e.g. outlining many chapters in October, then writing the story in November is okay.
e.g. I think even editing during November can be considered rebellious. Though I think most understand if it's an obvious, glaring typo. But if you're restructuring plot or rewriting dialogue, that could be considered rebellious. I was told to delete nothing during November.

I'm of a mixed feeling in terms of writing it in visual novel format straightaway. Mayhap in a non-visual format, complete it, walk away from it for a while, come back and edit it, then visual-novelize it? (whether it's something you think could have branching story paths or if gameplay elements fit).

Though if you continue the VN route, Lint could be the word count of sorts.
Writing anything before November and putting it/totaling it to your NaNo word count in November is cheating. ^^

I've always understood/thought the "NaNo Rebel" as being someone who is writing something not mentioned in the genre lounges: non-fiction, prose/poetry, manga/comics, etc.
I'd think that writing a Visual Novel would classify you as a rebel, actually. You're writing a script/program during NaNoWriMo; that's being a rebel. There's no rules against it which is why it's "fine", but it's still not a fiction "novel".

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#35 Post by Applegate »

Anna wrote:
CheeryMoya wrote:Not going to even try tackling WriMo at this point in time but for those of you going in, you might want to give WriteorDie or WrittenKitten a whirl to keep you on track. Both motivate you to write, though the first does so by deleting words if you don't type and the latter rewards you with pictures of kittens. Whichever one floats your boat?
I saw the reward-with-kittens one last time, it's hilarious XD. Still, the best way to motivate yourself is by having intrinsic motivations in my opinion.
Of course, intrinsic motivation to write is the best way to write. I think to really qualify as a writer you need to get over yourself and write even when your 'muse' is dead and your 'spark of brilliance' absent. So, write 1,500 words a day!

Miyuki
Regular
Completed: Culina: The Spirit of Cooking
Organization: TangerineTriangle

#36 Post by Miyuki »

I tried to do NaNoWriMo last year and it didn't go very well. I couldn't break 3k words, my thought process was all over the story. This year, I just want to write something silly. I'd like to outline it this month, but we'll see what happens.

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#37 Post by Mink »

I'll join, because I clearly haven't done enough "finish this in X amount of time" things this year.

If anyone's registered, I'm Derk. As in the Dark Lord. As in the book Dark Lord of Derkholm by Dianna Wynne Jones.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran

#38 Post by Sharm »

I think I found you, you should be added as my buddy now. You've got a manatee picture, right?

I'm Sharm there too, I like writing buddies so feel free to add me everyone!

Miyuki
Regular
Completed: Culina: The Spirit of Cooking
Organization: TangerineTriangle

#39 Post by Miyuki »

I feel lonely with only two friends on the website, so you can add me too if you want. My username there is yokainomiko (which is what I am in most places)

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#40 Post by Mink »

I've now added you both. Woo!

And yep, it's a manatee avatar. Manatees are animals I can really relate to.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#41 Post by Anna »

Yay, I'll stalk everyone too~ My username's Tirinity there.

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran

#42 Post by Sharm »

Hehe, this year should be fun! I write so much better when I'm have people doing it with me. :)

Cidz
Veteran
Completed: The Forgetful Kiwi [NanoReno 2012], Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Projects: Words Within Our Hearts, Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Organization: Starlight Melodies
Tumblr: starlightmelodies
Deviantart: cidthekitty

#43 Post by Cidz »

OH if anyone wants to add me they can too i only have 1 writing buddy and that was the person that told me about nanowrimo last year >_>
username cidthekittyisfun

and if VNs count then i think i can come up with an idea, but i rather come up with an actual novel idea....which i hope i can....oh why why does my brain go dead whenever i try to think T___T

AshenhartKrie
Veteran
Tumblr: ashenhartkrie

#44 Post by AshenhartKrie »

Since I've just churned out a 43 page story for a novella competition, and I actually have a plot I want to follow, I have now decided I'm going to do this. or die trying. It should be easy, although I'll probably end up writing closer to 2000 words a day and end up with way over 50k words. >.>
If anyone wants to add me I'm AshenhartKrie there as well. :3
*itches and wants to start writing now cos she fleshed out ten pages of settings and character details for her planned novel*

tired. grumpy. queer
*uses he/him pronouns*

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran

#45 Post by Sharm »

Overwriting every day is the way to go, that way if something comes up you don't fall behind. I'm going to try for 3k a day so I can take weekends and holidays off. I've done it before (have gotten 6k in a day before), all I need is someone to compete against, a good outline, Write or Die, and no interruptions.