What are your favourite VN Characters?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
specialtantei
Veteran

What are your favourite VN Characters?

#1 Post by specialtantei »

Random question is random, I just wanted to know you guys a bit more :3. Let's see, let's see...hmmm, I'll post them in order :3.
5. Saya from Saya no Uta
Even when you find out the truth about her, it's impossible not to love her. I found most of the sex scenes satisfying just because of her. Don't get me wrong, not because she is a lolita, but due to her reactions and ways of doing stuff. Man. So sexy. Also, she's a great troll. You'll never see it coming.
4. Jose from Enzai
Sorry for the Yaoi xD. I swear it's goddam impossible not to love this guy. He is one of the best characters I've ever seen. And he really helped to lighten up the atmosphere with his sex jokes. I want a Jose for myself T_T.
3. Fiend from Juniper's Knot
A wonderful KN with wonderful characters T_T. And she takes the cake. Just looking at her makes me happy and sad at the same time ;_;. Just...magnificent.
2. Kia from Absolute Obedience
Yaoi again xD. Sorry, but Langmaor has some great characters, and man, Kia is the best of them. A sweet combination between evil Jose and caring Shion, he is, for me at least, the sexiest guy (he is bi, ladies <3) in any VN out there :P.
1. BEATORIIICHEEE from Umineko no Naku Koro ni
Troll of Trolls. Witch of Witches. Love of lovers <3. I just love Beato. All of the characters from Umineko and Higurashi are plain wonderful, but there is no character better than Beato. For me she is and will always be the best and most wonderful VN character ever :D.
Finished :3. So, what are your favourites?

Goodbye. See you again ~

Boomsickle
Regular
Completed: Victorian Olives

Re: What are your favourite VN Characters?

#2 Post by Boomsickle »

Haven't officially played the game but i love the anime and the manga, just an amazing girl.

Last edited by Boomsickle on Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#3 Post by dramspringfeald »

characters similar to these, respspectivly.

All three of these characters represent my favorite types of of Female VN characters.

All 3 are Tough, Know what they want and don't fold like a wet towel when confronted or challenged. I don't know what happened to the spines for the female characters but it somehow REALLY kills the mood when they show up. I guess that's what happens when being around Extremely assertive women my hole life but I cant stand em.

Alice, From the Monster Girls Quest (AO... and how)
-The Queen of monsters, most powerful and outright most agressave characters int the game. Speaks her mind and refers to (you) as a fake hero for about all the game.
-YET still has a very nice feminine charm to her, Never afraid to show her girly side... before taking out some "Cute Subordinate" that's gotten in her way.

Granberia, From the Monster Girls Quest game as well
-The second strongest in the game as by skill, Stick to the worrier code, spared an entire village of enemies because they were weak, defenselessness and would not bring her honor.
The youngest of the major dragons (lol) She is not afraid to help you up in battle and hand your sword back.

Tamamo - From Monster Girls Quest -It's really fun but Holy crap
- The oldest and calmest of the top bad-girls. She is quick witted, energetic and is always just having fun WHILE shutting the others down in both combat and skill.

There are plenty of others but these ones are just off the top of my head.

But seriously what's with the weak kneed paper-sack girls becoming the ONLY thing really out in media again?

Edited- Added reasons why.
Attachments
Granberia
Granberia
Alice
Alice
Tamamo
Tamamo
Last edited by dramspringfeald on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

wakagana
Veteran
Projects: Flash Q
Organization: Team Bread

#4 Post by wakagana »

That is all.

lycheechan
Regular

#5 Post by lycheechan »

I haven't played much VN but my favorites are:
1. Hijikata (hakuouki)
2.Ikki (Amnesia)
3. Souji (Hakuouki)
4. Beatrice (Umineko)
5. Ange (Umineko)
I am a toaster....

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by gekiganwing »

To everyone: if you have time and the will to write more, let us know *why* you like these specific characters. Do you identify with them? Do you consider them inspiring? Do you find them attractive? Do they add anything to the gameplay of a complex game?

Dramspringfeald, I don't recognize any of the characters you mentioned. (I guess it's because I haven't been paying much attention to translated VNs lately...) Where are they from?

Some of my favorites:

Hibiya Wataru from Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 1. A guy who's not exactly cool or smart. Unlike Sakuya Morimura (who I almost mentioned in this list), the other girls in the game don't show interest in him. Why do I mention Wataru? Because he puts extra effort into becoming a better athlete, and because he keeps looking for a positive role model. It also helps that winning him requires balanced stats, rather than min/maxing like crazy.

Sagiitta Weinberg from Sakura Wars 5. This woman has achieved a *lot*. When the story begins, she is already an accomplished lawyer and Broadway actress. As events in the game happen, she makes amends with the people of Harlem and the Centaur gang. (This game isn't realistic at all... it includes things like steam powered mechs and Pneuma energy. That said, in a less fantastical world, her age would more likely be 31 rather than 21.)

Oko San from Hatoful Boyfriend. Even though the VN is mostly comedy and nonsense, this character stands out as the most absurd of all of them. Makes ridiculous, funny statements on a regular basis, and has a in-character blog dedicated to pudding.

Yeonji from Tears 9, 10. Warning, major spoilers ahead:
I almost mentioned Taehyeok, the main character, since most of his actions in the game are efforts to save Yeonji from her life in a ghetto. But no matter what Taehyeok does, it just isn't enough. So my nomination goes to Yeonji instead. She is a high-tier woobie: she doesn't have adequate heating in winter, she's working in a factory just to survive, she lost a finger in an accident, at least one of her parents is definitely dead, and she might become a rape victim. Despite all of this, she's trying to become a pianist, and she tries to stay positive.

Yumi Kashima had a major role in Kana Little Sister, which was another depressing VN. I know that the title character is meant to be sympathetic, but I liked Yumi more. Read on for some opinions and spoilers:
I thought the way in which Takamichi began to dislike Yumi showed his immaturity, and made Yumi more sympathetic by comparison. All of the characters mature during the story. But I thought that Taka was lagging at times, and that he had trouble accepting that Yumi liked him. During one ending, Taka fell into complete despair... but guess who swooped in to help him? Yeah, it was Yumi.

While much of the story is about Kana's loneliness and despair, she didn't seem to be a proactive character. Her role seemed limited to suffering and expressing her frustration.

Clara from Flower Shop: Summer. I wanted to mention at least one character from the WVN scene, and this is the first one that came to mind. While I wasn't sure if I liked the challenge in the computer game version of Summer in Fairbrook, I definitely like the cast. Clara stands out because of her interesting conflict. She's stuck in a small town, and she knows that she can't leave it just yet. I like how she's presented as a tomboy: neither trying to assert her femininity, nor trying to prove she's just as talented as some guy. Clara seems like someone who could motivate Steve, and who might stay with him in a long term relationship. (Note: I had trouble finding a picture of just Clara. The most relevant image on VNDB is too large for this forum.)

Tohko from Elven Relations. I wanted to mention a character from the freeware scene as well. Tohko seems the most like an adventurer in the group. She has been the main character's friend, and the two reunite on good terms. It appears that she's been achieving quite a bit over the years, namely learning how to be a better magician. Finally, a path with Tohko can end on a good note, depending quite a bit on how the main character responds when she brings up a secret from the past. (Again, had trouble finding a relevant image that fit.)

MJDAlleria
Regular

#7 Post by MJDAlleria »

I haven't read enough VN games to say who is my favorite, but if I had to say.
It would be the two characters from "RIPPLES" by SakeVisual: "Kuu and Koda"
Kuu and Koda, are the only two character that I can connect with due to the fact that they remind me far too much
of my relationship with a certain girl in my life. If I had to say--yeah--Koda is kinda just like me while Kuu is like "her."
I really couldn't help, but feel very emotional whenever I keep reading the VN non-stop. It lasts only for a few minutes,
yet... I feel so in love with them. Especially whilst listening to their voice actors, they're rather good in portraying them.

I'm really happy to have played that short story, very much.

I know this one wouldn't be counted but still... This is a Freebirds game called
"To the Moon" by Kan "Reives" Gao if I had to say who are my favorite
characters in there, it would everyone! Every single character is very lovable, and my most
favorite in it would be the scientist still though; Dr. Neil Watson is the most BADASS!

Dr. Watson: "Free ponies in space~!"
ImageImage
Last edited by MJDAlleria on Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#8 Post by Sharm »

I haven't had much luck finding VN's I like so I've only got one character.

Miles Edgeworth. I didn't like him at first, but it was just so much fun to take him apart and funny to watch his reactions when you win that I got a little attached. It helped a lot that he changes over the course of the games, becoming a much better person in the process. Then you find out his story and you just want to hug him! I just find all his mannerisms hilarious and endearing.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

Anarchy
Veteran
Projects: Fairy Tales of Innocent Children

#9 Post by Anarchy »

Miles Edgeworth~ so stylish <3

My favourite from that series still has to be Godot, though, despite - or perhaps because of? - his flaws. I mean, just listen to his theme song and tell me how can you not adore that guy.

Viridis

#10 Post by Viridis »

Mai and Reo... "Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke wo"

MarineScripter
Regular
Projects: Modus Operandi
Organization: Oceanic Eden Productions

#11 Post by MarineScripter »

I absolutely love Miles Edgeworth from Ace Attorney. His utter brilliant logic, yet naivete, plus his straight man role...he's hilarious. I love prudes.
I could relate to his sarcasm and exasperation. Also, his character growth was awesome, as he started out a stuck-up, barely there jerk and turned into a character you liked and wanted to play as and see more.

What can I say? I love kuudere, and Est from Wand of Fortune was so interesting. He was my favorite character from the series.
I can also relate to his exasperation haha, and his character also developed amazingly.

I must just be a sucker for character development.

darkphilious

#12 Post by darkphilious »

Ittosai, Mon-Mon and Yo from Yo-Jin-Bo.
Hanako, Lilly, and Misha from Katawa Shoujo.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#13 Post by mugenjohncel »

This guy over here...
http://vndb.org/c534

Just look at him... who wouldn't fall for this guy? The friendly smile that will bring world peace, That mustache that can seduce men, women and objects, That glamorous (but ridiculously hard to maintain) long hair that is the envy of the Greek Gods... and YES! He is one of the good guys!!! :) ... for me, this guy is the perfect VN character that can fit in "almost" any genre... if only he were a bit younger, he could be a main protagonist in an eroge VN where all endings are harem endings...

My other favorite is Lucy, the original Ren'py imagemap girl... originally, she just doesn't do anything and stand there and appear for like a few frames and that's just about it. But the first time I laid my eyes on her... I dunno, I guess I kinda feel sorry for her for being treated like a stage prop back then and the feeling was amplified by how sad she looked... I decided to give her a chance and make a character out of her... by making her, an obscure side-character in a demo game a character in her own game followed by a sequel and a remake of that sequel...

You walk into Mordor accompanied by Shao Khan holding a tub of Vaseline with Macarena playing in the background to see Sauron and demand he hand over a tub of KFC and two large cups of mashed potatoes in exchange for the ring I got from who knows where and he happily obliges and gave me three buckets instead of one and 6 cans of SanMig Light...

That would have been an awesome feeling! And that's the vibes I got when I played Winter Shard under Frederone's POV is pretty much close to it... and I tell you, there aren't many games characters out there that can give you that kind of feeling...

"POOF" (Disappears)

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#14 Post by Obscura »

Well, I just played Saguaro's very short but hilarious "Young Earth Road Trip" tonight so it's probably not fair because it's still fresh in my mind, but I loved all the characters.

The thread is here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... +road+trip

I also really liked the male protagonist from Ookami's Alchemical Ink. I wouldn't say he's a character I loooove but I think he was handled really well in terms of how he was written.

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 30&t=14991

And that's kind of all I can remember at this point in terms of actual characters (though there have a couple of good stories I've liked). It's been a while since I played an OELVN, especially a fully completed OELVN, and hopefully I'll start reading them again next month!
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#15 Post by Hijiri »

My own *trollface*

In all honest, my favorite is tied between Seiko from Corpse Party, Setsumi from Narcissu, and Shion Sonozaki from Higurashi.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."