Atlus Halloween Contest (please vote!) - and "cute" mascots

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

Atlus Halloween Contest (please vote!) - and "cute" mascots

#1 Post by Blue Lemma »

Hi forumites :)

Thought I'd pop in to ask you to support my friend in the Atlus Halloween cosplay contest. She did a Persona 4 cosplay of Teddie which is "unbearably" cute:

https://apps.facebook.com/contestshq/co ... s/60692627
teddie.jpg
teddie.jpg (54.67 KiB) Viewed 2227 times
teddie2.jpg
(pic credits to G4)

Please vote for her (and take a look at the other ones, they're pretty cool too), and thank you!

I wrote this below, but I'll edit and put it up here:
Since we're on the subject of Teddie, here's a question:
What do you think about cute-type mascots in games?

I remember when I started Lemma Soft and made Lemma the mascot, it was because a cute girl mascot would convey the idea of... well, cute girls in the games. Plus she's easily cosplayable ;) But it seems like there are a lot of non-human cute-type mascots in anime and games. Cardcaptor Sakura, Persona 4, Pokemon, etc. Why always "cute" mascots? If you've put a mascot char in your game is it cute and why?
Last edited by Blue Lemma on Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Atlus Halloween Contest (please vote!)

#2 Post by CheeryMoya »

!!!

Yo Lemma, nice to see you still around. PyTom might crack down on this thread for not being related to VNs but how are you these days? And I did vote, it's a very nice costume O:

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder

#3 Post by Blue Lemma »

It's a cosplay of a J-stuff/story-based game, but I'm probably pulling founder privilege a bit ^_^;

I'm doing pretty well. Very busy, but I do lurk around here a lot still. Thanks :)
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#4 Post by SundownKid »

Vote'd - any girl who endures the heat in a mascot costume of an RPG character is awesome in my book!

J. Datie
Veteran

#5 Post by J. Datie »

Look at that costume-ception, it's sensei-tional!

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder

#6 Post by Blue Lemma »

Apparently it squeaks when she walks, too :lol:

But since we're on the subject of Teddie, here's a question for anyone reading:

I remember when I started Lemma Soft and made Lemma the mascot, it was because a cute girl mascot would convey the idea of... well, cute girls in the games. But it seems like there are a lot of non-human cute-type mascots in anime and games. Cardcaptor Sakura, Persona 4, Pokemon, etc. Why always "cute" mascots? If you've put a mascot char in your game, why?
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Cidz
Veteran
Completed: The Forgetful Kiwi [NanoReno 2012], Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Projects: Words Within Our Hearts, Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Organization: Starlight Melodies
Tumblr: starlightmelodies
Deviantart: cidthekitty

Re: Atlus Halloween Contest (please vote!) - and "cute" masc

#7 Post by Cidz »

Voted.
I thought teddy was cute in persona 4 anime (never played the game >_> )

Lumella
Regular
Completed: Jose Rizal Visual Novel Game
Projects: Last Cycle's Vision
Organization: Unis

#8 Post by Lumella »

Voted!

I suppose cute mascots can serve a wider audience because of their "cutesy" factor. Sometimes, they're easier to draw or replicate than cute human characters. Not everyone is into cute human characters after all. I like animal mascots especially in CCS ♥
ImageImageImageImage

Artist. Indie Game Designer. Graphic Designer. 3D Hobbyist.
My VN Project: Last Cycle's Vision / Status: Slowly Active

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder

#9 Post by Blue Lemma »

True it's a wider audience... Are there any mascots in games that *aren't* cute? Maybe that's the better question!
- Napoleon Bonaparte

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#10 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Blue Lemma wrote: But since we're on the subject of Teddie, here's a question for anyone reading:

I remember when I started Lemma Soft and made Lemma the mascot, it was because a cute girl mascot would convey the idea of... well, cute girls in the games. But it seems like there are a lot of non-human cute-type mascots in anime and games. Cardcaptor Sakura, Persona 4, Pokemon, etc. Why always "cute" mascots? If you've put a mascot char in your game, why?
I wonder if it is just the Business/Economics Degree with a dash of professional design training talking, but I always think of adding cute mascots to the stories and game designs I come up due to the marketing factor. A cute mascot, simplified creature or animal is imminently more memorable and brand building than a human face or character. It's the reason Pikachu is the face of Pokemon and not Ash. It's what will sell plushies, T-shirts, coffee mugs and make people go, "Ah! How cute! What is that from?"

So I coldly calculate an engineered cuteness designed for maximum marketing. A mascot character works so well because they can be the the straight man, comedy relief, author avatar, or the only character allowed to lean on the fourth wall without breaking it. They can guide the player or reader just as much as the main character. When the mentor mascot explains something to the main character, they are also cheaply briefing the reader in a funny/entertaining way. See Kerberos from Card Captor Sakura or Chamo from Negima.

I think all you need to be careful of is to make them a valuable character within the story itself, otherwise you risk getting a Jar Jar Binks. R2D2 is really the "cute mascot" character of Star Wars.

Good to see you on the boards again, Lemma.

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#11 Post by Anna »

Blue Lemma wrote:True it's a wider audience... Are there any mascots in games that *aren't* cute? Maybe that's the better question!
Not a game but... Kyuubey *shiver*

Also, I'm a bit bored with such characters, I'd rather have a cool mentor-like character than these.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by CheeryMoya »

Anna wrote:
Blue Lemma wrote:True it's a wider audience... Are there any mascots in games that *aren't* cute? Maybe that's the better question!
Not a game but... Kyuubey *shiver*
Kyuubey isn't cute? But how could you say no to that face? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

I get the feeling that cute mascots are common because, well, they're iconic. They're easier to recognize than a human, though I think it's about time we got some variety for mascots. Do people want more manly ones?

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#13 Post by SundownKid »

I am not opposed to mascot characters in games at all, but only if they are executed right!

Basically, don't make a mascot character that acts like Scrappy Doo and has an annoying high-pitched voice (especially talking about themselves in the third-person!) Either make them like any other member of your team, or don't have them talk at all (but if so, they had better be interesting). Or better yet, make them actually a likeable but non-human character, because it adds more variety. Most people tend to look at a mascot character and think "oh, they have to have an IQ of 50".

Also, Teddie is a mascot character that is literally a mascot. We need more characters like that :lol:

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#14 Post by Destiny »

I like Teddy from Persona.
He is annoying, fluffy, weird...and that's how he's supposed to be.
Looking at Persona 4 closely, most characters there are kind of ironic and seem like parodies to certain types. And he makes a joke of the mascots (his bear-isms is kind of joking around with mascots inserting weird sounds like "Thats nyeat"),

But yeah, I dislike most mascots, because they always have the same features: small, cute, fluffy, they add humour and they are often squeaky.
One reason why I like Kyuubey so much.
Mokona (Clamp mascot) is also alright sometimes, because it often doesn't speak and sometimes suddenly grows aggressive.
Kero is KIND of ok, he's noisy, cute and stuff, but his natural form kind of makes it better.

P.S.
I voted for your costume, it's just too awesome, love the squeak-sounds when walking :D
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)