Augmented Reality Gaming (ARG)

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#1 Post by dramspringfeald »

Not sure where this goes but yeah..

First a little homework To catch some of you up on the subject

Watch

^ Still Good ^
V More this one V

And read
Augmented reality <this | Thjs should also do V |

Augmented Reality (AR) is a live, direct or indirect, view of a physical, real-world environment whose elements are augmented by computer-generated sensory input such as sound, video, graphics or GPS data. It is related to a more general concept called mediated reality, in which a view of reality is modified (possibly even diminished rather than augmented) by a computer. As a result, the technology functions by enhancing one’s current perception of reality. By contrast, virtual reality replaces the real world with a simulated one. Augmentation is conventionally in real-time and in semantic context with environmental elements, such as sports scores on TV during a match. With the help of advanced AR technology (e.g. adding computer vision and object recognition) the information about the surrounding real world of the user becomes interactive and digitally manipulable. Artificial information about the environment and its objects can be overlaid on the real world.
===
Now that we have that taken care of I was googling the other day for some cute catgirls when I ran across a few GIFs 1 // 2
from an anime called Robotics;Notes. // Promo Vid Which got me back to thinking about True ARGs and their viability in the game market.

With today's access to Tablets, Laptops and super powerful Phones and soon Google Glasses Clones the market suddenly looks huge.

Your thoughts?
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

zankizuna
Veteran
Completed: Monochrome Valentine
Projects: Softwar
Deviantart: raseru09
itch: ZanKizuna

Re: Augmented Reality Gaming (ARG)

#2 Post by zankizuna »

Watched it! looks very interesting.
I think I've seen this sort of thing in some 3DS previews.
It would be nice to apply the technology on Yu-Gi Oh! I guess.
like, in their newest serie zeXal, there's this attachment for their eyes called the D-Gazer :D
Cool, Robotics;Notes was a visual novel.
Inserting a tail and new clothes to a real girl in your screen sounds hard..
considering the movement and the 3d-ness of the real picture...
is it possible?

Anarchy
Veteran
Projects: Fairy Tales of Innocent Children

#3 Post by Anarchy »

If you're interested in ARGs, you should check out Dennou Coil and Vernor Vinge's Rainbows End, which are great SF works exploring what augmented reality tech could look like in the future.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#4 Post by SundownKid »

zankizuna wrote: Inserting a tail and new clothes to a real girl in your screen sounds hard..
considering the movement and the 3d-ness of the real picture...
is it possible?
That's definitely possible, as long as you have body recognition software of some sort. I know Kinect can do something along those lines. To do it realistically, however, is another story. It's definitely feasible, but you'll probably need special hardware for best results.

In fact, recognizing the world through cameras is something that has made huge developments in recent years. Stuff like self-driving cars and other robots fall into that category. We now have robots that are capable of safely driving through a city or delivering packages without a hitch.

Clockworkelements

#5 Post by Clockworkelements »

Thanks for putting some insights about this (ARG). Great and interesting ideas I have foud in it.

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

#6 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

Thoughts: the gif images and youtube video didn't work for me.
Also, I find it interesting that he didn't mention Pokemon Go (checks the date of the original post... that's why...)

Where I live in Taiwan I often see a hundred or so people randomly gather around a small local park beside my house because of augmented reality games. At first it was for games like Pokemon Go, but now it seems to be something else, something in Chinese with anime type characters.

It is interesting because of the age groups it attracts, you see people of every age and gender, especially the elderly (including old women, which make up a considerable portion). It also encourages a lot of dangerous behaviour with scooters and bicycles, and probably a far amount of pollution (because even though people are supposed to walk, they don't).

I think we are likely to see more corporate sponsorship of such games, such as what McDonald's did with Pokemon Go in Japan. Government also got involved and used it to promote certain areas that it felt needed more business.

It is interesting, it is certainly evolving, though slowly. It certainly hasn't reached its true potential yet.