Can you still remember how you found these forums?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
thedarkdefender
Regular
Projects: TBTR
Organization: Clockwork Cafe

Can you still remember how you found these forums?

#1 Post by thedarkdefender » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:02 am

Or did the forums found you?
Personally, I can't remember how I became a member here :oops:

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Can you still remember how you found these forums?

#2 Post by LVUER » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:13 am

Oh, I still remember it clearly. LSF changes me, that's why LSF is very important for me.

At that time, around 2005, I was looking for an engine to make VN. At that time, there's not much engine flying around in the internet. GM is still buggy, Construct is still not around, and there is no Novelty. I don't know why, but I can't find RenPy at that time... until 2006, I stumble upon RenPy. If you know RenPy, you undoubtedly will know LSF. And so here I am... I didn't join immediately though. I lurked for about one year before finally decided to hop aboard the ship (at 2007).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#3 Post by TrickWithAKnife » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:01 am

Fairly similar for me, although I found LSF about 6 months ago.

I spent about a month trying to find the perfect engine for what I want to create, and realized VNs were the way to go. Searched for a lot of VN engines, and Ren'Py seemed to be one of the easiest to use, had the functionality that I needed, and has extremely generous terms of use.

As LVUER said, Ren'Py and LSF go hand-in-hand, so here I am, and here I will stay.
Last edited by TrickWithAKnife on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#4 Post by nyaatrap » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:14 am

I investigated all VN engines available, so it's natural to find this forum.
However, the reason I joined here is to contact with the developer (pytom) on the purpose of getting deeper information of the engine. If the developer isn't watching here, I might not join.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#5 Post by Deji » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:31 am

I was researching about VN engines, when i started working for Mystery Parfait back in... uh... 2007 O_O OMG it's been so long already?
Then I started lurking and I decided I wanted to learn to make VNs myself, so I started posting (:
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Darkmoonfire
Regular
Completed: Christmas Project
Organization: Lunarescent Wings
Tumblr: darkmoonfire

#6 Post by Darkmoonfire » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:35 am

After discovering the existence of visual novels, I decided that I wanted to make them myself. Not really knowing a lot about visual novels, I decided that I needed to research them first, and for me research usually starts with me going to tvtropes page and reading it. There's a link to this forum at the bottom of the tropes page for visual novels, and that's how I first found this forum.

llplldll
Regular
Completed: Memento Dears

#7 Post by llplldll » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:37 am

I was doing a google search for easy to use game engines when I discovered Ren'py and it lead me to this forum where people post their creations etc.
Ive been on these forums for about 2 years, the first year was spent lurking, then year two I finally decided to join and participate :P
I don't play that many visual novels these days but I still stick around here because this is an interesting community.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#8 Post by azureXtwilight » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:57 pm

Through google search, the site I stumbled upon was games.renpy.org (?) when I was looking for "Visual Novels in English". Then there's a game (probably host love by mokenju) which I am looking a walkthrough on and I googled again... which is how I stumbled at this forum.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#9 Post by teacup » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:57 pm

I was following Hinano's anime blog and she was making her own visual novel using Ren'py (Ren'ai Blogger) which is how I first found out about it. I wanted to make VNs too, so I googled Ren'py and ended up here. ^^ Normally I just lurk on forums and don't actually join, but this community seemed nice enough that I decided to create an account and share my work.

Lumella
Regular
Completed: Jose Rizal Visual Novel Game
Projects: Last Cycle's Vision
Organization: Unis

#10 Post by Lumella » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:29 pm

I've known the site since 2009 but during that time, I was just lurking throughout the boards than participating.
I was busy playing VNs and otome games, rather than making one from scratch, so it was't that eventful.

Eventually, I finally managed to work on the courage to make one when I met my HS friend, Syn, who's also into the same interests as I am. I decided to join finally by 2011, but became inactive then decided to be active after my I finally started on my non-academic thesis game, Last Cycle's Vision c:
ImageImageImageImage

Artist. Indie Game Designer. Graphic Designer. 3D Hobbyist.
My VN Project: Last Cycle's Vision / Status: Slowly Active

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#11 Post by Hijiri » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:15 pm

This game right here brought me here first. Later on, I returned when I decided I would try and make my own VN
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#12 Post by KomiTsuku » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:39 pm

Rift in the time-space continuum brought me here.

specialtantei
Veteran

#13 Post by specialtantei » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:29 pm

Found out about LSF 2 years ago when I started to harvest an interest for VNs. Played some, and really wanted to make my own, so I stumbled upon RenPy and consequently upon the forums. I've joined relatively late, though. Been here for less than two months, I think.

kankan
Regular

#14 Post by kankan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:13 pm

My friend came up with an idea for a fangame and decided that since I was taking Computer Science classes, I could be her programmer. Several problems: I had been programming for approximately 3 weeks by that time (luckily my course was teaching Python), had never seen or heard of Ren'py before that, and she wanted to make an RPG. In Ren'py. Needless to say, we didn't get very far.

I should thank her for that though; I've gotten pretty fond of Ren'py since then, and it was probably the reason I passed the class. Also probably the reason why my codes tend to look ugly, but they usually function pretty well. Plus if she ever does give that game a go again, I actually have enough experience to build the stuff we need for it! Take that, learning hurdles.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by DaFool » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:41 pm

Was at Animesuki in 2006 arguing with other people and discussing the Blade Engine (remember that?). Somebody mentioned Ren'Py. Then for some weird reason PyTom popped in and answered questions regarding Ren'Py.