Pictures.

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
VerdeICe
Regular

Pictures.

#1 Post by VerdeICe »

Dont you hate that you can feel yourself in your pictures.

I do. I hate it. When I look at pictures that took me hours to make I hate them, even if others say there beautiful.

I made them into what I believe is aesthetically pleasing but, I still hate them. I see myself in my pictures. I don't think it matters to me if they are perfectly symmetrical or anatomically correct. I just hate when I look at them I can feel my soul, it makes every picture I create look the same to me, even if their features and expressions differ completely. :mrgreen:

I hate them even more if they are wrong in any way.

How do your pictures affect you, I am curious. Is it pride? Is it love? Indifference? Or is it the same as me, Hate. :lol: :wink:

Taosym
Veteran
Projects: http://lupiesoft.com/
Organization: Lupiesoft

Re: Pictures.

#2 Post by Taosym »

This is what they call "being an artist"

This feeling never goes away, no matter how long you've been drawing. The only way to get rid of this feeling is to become extremely conceited about your art, and assume
it's perfect, at which point you will probably build a shell of fans around yourself to "yesman" you. Then you stagnate, and you either draw the same way for the rest of your life, or start to get worse.

The trick is, that feeling like your art is terrible is good, because it's that inner self-admonishment that makes you strive to get better. When you stop criticizing yourself, you stop improving.

fioricca
Veteran
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten

#3 Post by fioricca »

... I'm confused, is this a thread about "what do you feel about your own art"? ?_?

I... don't understand what's awful about being able to express yourself creatively...? Isn't it good that your drawings have individuality, instead of trying to get it to look like another artist's work in which case people can just call you a copy of said artist
Taosym wrote:The trick is, that feeling like your art is terrible is good, because it's that inner self-admonishment that makes you strive to get better. When you stop criticizing yourself, you stop improving.
This sums it up very nicely. *_* It's also important not to get depressed by better artists around you. I've seen people who give up on trying to get better, saying things like "oh they're different, they're talented", or "they went to art school", or "I'm just drawing for fun". The talent thing pisses me off the most because every experienced artist will tell you that talent hasn't helped them earn any money; their diligence, perseverance and discipline are what has. It's really these qualities that inspire the most respect and admiration in me.

FlawedFlare
Regular
Projects: [Without Your Half],[ Underground], Unidentified Shallow Heart

#4 Post by FlawedFlare »

Everyone starts off somewhere; we were all at square one at some point. Back then I used to love drawing; I did it out of my love of anime. My drawings weren't even that good. I'll even admit that some were traced. But as I kept on doing it, the less confident I became. Why? Because as I met people in school, I saw that I wasn't the only on who knew how to draw. But that only drove me to do MORE. V w V;;
It's also important not to get depressed by better artists around you. I've seen people who give up on trying to get better, saying things like "oh they're different, they're talented", or "they went to art school", or "I'm just drawing for fun".
Sometimes competition is good. It motivates you to get better. It's what you do with yourself that's important. I personally, see my friends' drawings and think, "WOW. I suck." and I give up for the day. I cry a little bit, break down, but then I pick myself off the ground, and proceed with my life. Because wishing to be better or complaining about who's good and bad at art isn't going to do much about your skills.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#5 Post by LVUER »

How do I feel about my art? I love them of course, and I have pride for them. It's as it's the best and cutest pic ever... but at the same time, I know it's bad and still can have some improvement. More over when I compare it with other (professional) peoples arts. Kinda a mixed feelings...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

magbie
Regular

#6 Post by magbie »

Well, my art is my art. I know I need to improve so I look at the others, read tutorials, tips, even complaining of the professionals, until I'll get the idea, and do stuff the way I want to, or the way I never did before. Sometimes i need to scribble something that isn't full of "I need to try that, that and improve that", but basically it's a constant work.
For me, it's also neverending. I need to draw so I draw, it's as simple as that. I see my work as worse then other peoples unless they really suck, but I would quit if there was no room for improvement. There's no such thing so I'm happy. And of course i could do better, and what's stopping me?
I don't believe in talent, I believe in learning. It's a skill as any other.

MomoiroGirl
Veteran
Deviantart: MomoiroGirl
Location: Somewheeere over the rainbow~ ... Well, Denmark at least

#7 Post by MomoiroGirl »

I have changed how I feel about my art quite a bit over time, however, the one thing that doesn't change is, that I'm never satisfied. I always point out what is wrong with my drawings, and sometimes it makes me feel down, 'cause so many people out there even younger than me are much better. However, if i didn't point out what was wrong, I wouldn't ever get any better. But of course when I make a drawing, I put a part of myself into the drawing, and therefore have developed a bond to it, so I still cherish it.

Last year I was an intern at a school called "The Animation Workshop", and for the first time ever, I felt like I interacted with people who saw my art for what it really was, face to face. and it was really awesome :D To begin with I was discouraged, because I saw some people that were really pro, and all I could think was, that i would never get that good. I later found out, that the girl who was really professionally good had been teached by her dad, who himself was a professional artist, and I realized that she had been getting lessons all her life. I've never had any lessons, and I've mostly drawn manga the last 7 years.

I guess that finally getting away from this place, where nobody draws and therefore can only praise my drawings, and meeting people that have experienced the slavening proces of becoming exceptional artists motivated me. It really made me realixe that if I put all of my heart into it, I can be that good to! ^^ So when I'm done with school this week, I'm gonna find a job so I can get enough mmoney to take a half-year course at that school, I really hope to learn how to use art properly :D

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#8 Post by nyaatrap »

I feel neutral - both love and hate, but mostly tranquil. To me, all arts are equally objects I observe. Of cause I love what i've done more than others, but when it comes to observe what good or not on them, they are equal. I call tell why they are good and they are bad logically. While logic is working properly, I can concentrate my mind without emotional disturbance.

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#9 Post by Nuxill »

It's good to be critical of your work, but if you go to far it can turn into self loathing. Hating everything you do and criticizing every little thing is not going to help you as an artist. You have to be able to step back and remember that art is a journey and each picture you make is another footstep. When you finish a picture reflect on where you went wrong and what you can do to make sure it has less of a chance of happening next time. And don't worry about being the next Michelangelo by the time you're twenty. Everyone learns at a different pace. Some people don't become confident with their skills until they hit their 40s!

Right now I'm pretty confident with most areas of my work. I still have a lot to learn and some days I feel like giving up, but I know I've got to keep truckin' on. I want to be able to tell stories and inspire people and the better my skills become the easier it will be to translate my ideas onto paper.