Why so many unfinished VN?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

Re: Why so many unfinished VN?

#31 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

I believe it's very unlikely that the LSF mods are going to enforce any rules about what people must do before creating a WiP thread.

My only suggestion would be having a link to a forum page when people register, which simply contains links to vital topics, and the title of those topics, or perhaps links to relative posts within the same topic.
Examples could be:
  • What to do before announcing your future project.
  • Which software is best for your purpose.
  • Useful free and commercial software for game making.
  • How to create a game in Ren'Py.
  • What to do before recruiting other people.
  • Where to get advice on coding, writing, art, sound or video.
  • Where to find free resources.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Faze
Regular

#32 Post by Faze »

SundownKid wrote:Sorry, but if someone doesn't know to make a plan beforehand, they're probably not going to have the ability to write their VN, either. It's easy enough to learn how to outline your story without needing a template - I'm sure all creative writing classes teach that kind of stuff.
For the story? Sure, I agree with you. There's no point in a template for outlining a story. But a GDD template would also include a gameplay description as well as the assets the game is going to be using, which could really help people realize what they are missing and whether their project is out of their scope or not.
TrickWithAKnife wrote:I believe it's very unlikely that the LSF mods are going to enforce any rules about what people must do before creating a WiP thread.
Oh I know. Anything stricter than moving dead or inactive threads isn't really something even I would seriously suggest. It would require too much work from the mods and it wouldn't really help much.

I just mentioned that having a GDD would be a completely unfeasible requirement. What I meant was that a thread on GDDs could be useful just as something people could look at, but they wouldn't be forced to. Sorry if my post was unclear.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#33 Post by sake-bento »

TrickWithAKnife wrote:I believe it's very unlikely that the LSF mods are going to enforce any rules about what people must do before creating a WiP thread.
Actually, we do have a set of (not so strict) guidelines, and we move threads out of WiP if they don't demonstrate at least some amount of work already done. But no, we don't require a design document or a schedule, or a complete outline or anything like that.

MJDAlleria
Regular

#34 Post by MJDAlleria »

( . . . ) I'm just lazy - if I'm working alone.
That'd be the only reason why nothing has moved for my stuff.
Other than that, I bite off WAY too much what I can chew.

llplldll
Regular
Completed: Memento Dears

#35 Post by llplldll »

90% of the people here making VNs are hobbyist, so there's absolutely no obligation for them to finish a project.
Its not like this is a job, where results are expected.
I would imagine if everyone here received a cut of salary for completing their project, completed VNs would increase 110%. :lol:

sapiboonggames
Veteran
Completed: I Love You, Brother [BxB]

#36 Post by sapiboonggames »

I guess it's because there are many people in this forum that's like me :X

Most likely they're too busy with their real life, and when they're starting the game again, they think the game is not as good as they thought before. They scrap the project and move onto another one. Just like me
Visit my website: http://www.sapiboong.com

J-Ray
Regular

#37 Post by J-Ray »

Isn't it usual for any art? Great artistic minds are always overwhelmed with new ideas and sometimes do not care much about the final realization. I think it's completely OK, because sometimes it's a process what makes us happy, not a result.
There is nothing wrong about abandoned ideas - some people tried and decided - it's not what they want; some just get bored with the routine... Imagination flies free, but realization can be painful.
I've created many projects and abandoned a few because my imagination is moving forward and some ideas became a dust even before I expressed them :)
I'm working on my first Visual Novel right now and I don't care very much if I will stop or transform it to different project at some point - I enjoy this process alot right here, right now!

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#38 Post by curry nochi rice »

Oh god all these necros.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#39 Post by MimirollCookie »

Well. Many people can't finish their games for many reasons.
Like time management, final week on school, laziness (WHAT), etc.
I can't finish my games because of my time and laziness. 0_o
Or lack of assets. (Main problem of many people are music, sprites, GUI, and BGs)
"If they can do it, you can do it too! make them do it. They can do it, right?" :lol:
Getting a new laptop. Hopefully going back to VN making! (BWAHAHA)

vntru

#40 Post by vntru »

I agree with Taleweaver. the best way to start a visual novel is to experiment with the software/tool you plan to use and make some samples.
when you are good at using them quickly ,then start building the visual novel. test your skills/abilities before getting into the actual project.
keep the things simple, and expand it further. also don't try to make a big visual novel at once. build step by step and release what you have completed already.

vntru

#41 Post by vntru »

llplldll wrote:90% of the people here making VNs are hobbyist, so there's absolutely no obligation for them to finish a project.
I would imagine if everyone here received a cut of salary for completing their project, completed VNs would increase 110%. :lol:
that's why there is a thing called patreon. you can get the support and money from your fans for the game. :mrgreen:

Nylan
Regular
Completed: Segmentation_Fault (Nano16)
Projects: Currently free
Organization: MagicEngineering

#42 Post by Nylan »

vntru wrote:
llplldll wrote:90% of the people here making VNs are hobbyist, so there's absolutely no obligation for them to finish a project.
that's why there is a thing called patreon. you can get the support and money from your fans for the game. :mrgreen:
You're absolutely right.

...but Patreon didn't exist when that post was made :lol:

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#43 Post by Katta »

MimirollCookie wrote:Or lack of assets. (Main problem of many people are music, sprites, GUI, and BGs)
The main problem is always writing, because it's the only thing that is absolutely needed and almost impossible to find for free/relatively cheap, everything else can be stock/CC/free help
vntru wrote:that's why there is a thing called patreon. you can get the support and money from your fans for the game.
You have to get those fans first and it's difficult without good social/marketing skills even when you've already have something to show.

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

#44 Post by Ghost of Crux »

^ Basically. Patreon is still a subscription, and you're not getting money simply by creating-- you get paid when someone likes your creations enough to pay you as thanks. Imho it can be a great return for all the work someone does and can help them create more, but for people who hasn't made a respectable fan base it can be extremely discouraging.
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

Royality
Regular
Projects: Love through the internet

#45 Post by Royality »

Most people getting random idea's from reading other vn's or watching anime's. And they think HA! i can do that better.
One of the most important things is that people don't get responds. When people are reacting like , wow great job! Or giving criticism. People are getting more enthusiastic. Are will spend more time into creating their visual novel. Then people that never get's reactions about their project, they mostly think people wouldn't even like it. Even if its finished.

Also of course the problem that people are thinking to big. 500k words, 50 endings, and 20 character designs. And then the problems start, people getting out of inspiration. Use standard sprites, and using the program to create their visual novel isn't that easy as they hoped. So yea. They give up really quick then. Its such a shame because i see really good idea's. but then people just stop working on it