Recreating dreams into a KN or manga?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Twisted-Eva
Regular
Projects: Our Crossing Paths

Recreating dreams into a KN or manga?

#1 Post by Twisted-Eva »

So I saw this video and then the thought came up about recreating dreams into a KN and build a story about it or illustrating it in manga. Paprika also comes to mind with the subject of dealing with dreams. I get the impression that the idea of putting dreams in a visual format is not uncommon and that it would seem interesting.

So what do you guys think about the idea of interpreting dreams into a KN or manga format?

I think it's interesting (more so) if the artist drew every single dream s/he could remember if the obstacle of separating personal from public was conquered. I also think that dreams have unlimited possibilities in how they manifest, hence provide inspiration to improve artistic style or imagination (i.e. create an original location based on architecture from a dream).
Deviantart Account
Current Project: Our Crossing Paths [GxB] [Alternate History/Drama]

specialtantei
Veteran

Re: Recreating dreams into a KN or manga?

#2 Post by specialtantei »

I would sell all my clothes to buy something like that.
Artists oftenly use dreams as a source of inspiration for music, paintings, etc. Why would it be different for a KN/manga? It would be another beautiful way of expressing one's self.

Starwulfen
Regular
Projects: Project PeGASuS, Destiny's Spire, The Dragon Call
Organization: Mist Fables

#3 Post by Starwulfen »

The first short VN I'm working on as a practice actually is based on a dream of mine, which I just fleshed out a litle bit.

And there's another dream I'll probably end up working into something eventually.

So yeah, I like the idea ^_^
Work in Progress - Destiny's Spire
NaNoRenO 2013 - The Dragon Call

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#4 Post by dramspringfeald »

So what do you guys think about the idea of interpreting dreams into a KN or manga format?

Works for Stephen King.... all his books, movies and tv programs are from dreams he's had...... Yeah
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

Twisted-Eva
Regular
Projects: Our Crossing Paths

#5 Post by Twisted-Eva »

specialtantei wrote:I would sell all my clothes to buy something like that.
Artists oftenly use dreams as a source of inspiration for music, paintings, etc. Why would it be different for a KN/manga? It would be another beautiful way of expressing one's self.
I just like to see dreams in motion rather than one still picture attempting to capture the whole dream. I find it more fun to read/watch if I saw the beginning and aftermath of one still picture.
Deviantart Account
Current Project: Our Crossing Paths [GxB] [Alternate History/Drama]

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#6 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Twisted-Eva wrote:I just like to see dreams in motion rather than one still picture attempting to capture the whole dream. I find it more fun to read/watch if I saw the beginning and aftermath of one still picture.
I like the idea of each scene transforming in some way. Flowers start to grown, the scene gets darker, things fade into existence slowly, etc.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

lisam21

#7 Post by lisam21 »

Twisted-Eva wrote:So I saw this video and then the thought came up about recreating dreams into a KN and build a story about it or illustrating it in manga.
It sounds like a good idea, and we dream everynight so you won't be short of ideas :D. Interpretting dreams is very useful I do it all the time for my dreams. I use dreamdictionarynow.com quite often but there are many out there.
Last edited by lisam21 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miyuki
Regular
Completed: Culina: The Spirit of Cooking
Organization: TangerineTriangle

#8 Post by Miyuki »

This reminds me of my friend. She has very loosely connected dreams all the time. They're obviously dreams because she has all sorts of crazy adventures and magic/time/space are all very flexible from dream to dream, but they're all so much fun! She tell me about most of them, and when we can't meet in person, she emails or IM's me.

I keep telling her they would make a great short story series (since each dream isn't long enough to be a whole book), but a webcomic or a KN would be neat too...

Sabotage
Regular
Projects: Cupcake! [WIP-40%] :: Riddled [Idea-0%]

#9 Post by Sabotage »

I think that's an awesome idea. I actually had a project like that in mind but I realized dreams are sometimes a bit too bizarre or open-ended to make into a novel with a plot. Best one can do is take some of the cooler details (say, a dragon made of jello) and construct a story out of it.

As an idea, I'd say it's a definite go!

enta
Veteran
Projects: One Moment in Summer(GxB/Supernatural)

#10 Post by enta »

Something that's definitely impossible for me because
I sleep. I dream. I wake up and move on with life. I barely remember what I dreamed, let alone what I ate last night :lol:

pwisaguacate
Veteran

#11 Post by pwisaguacate »

Twisted-Eva wrote:So what do you guys think about the idea of interpreting dreams into a KN or manga format?
I would imagine this to be a great way for artists or writers to pull off trippy non sequitor stuff--the good kind of random, something that won't get passed as a failed comedy attempt. There may or may not be coherence between scenes, and the general idea is to let ideas flow.

Art-wise, [blah blah].

Perhaps the narrator speaks in constant paranoia, having nightmares during sleep and hallucinations during the day. If one wants to, he could write philosophical interpretations (or "just trying to be too deep"). This doesn't have to be about horror; it could be about [insert further comments here].

vividXP
Regular
Projects: "Almost There" (NanoReno '14)

#12 Post by vividXP »

I've been making it a habit to write down really vivid dreams the minute I wake up. I have a couple of dreams written down that could actually make interesting stories. I've never really thought about doing anything more with them though.

Funnily enough, most of the dreams I write down are pretty straight forward. The characters and places might be sort of weird (one of the dreams I had was a human boy who found himself in the middle of a rivalry between two talking cat sorcerers) but there aren't really jumps in time/pov.
vividxp.tumblr.com
Wọn ṣe bí òtòṣì ò gbọn bí ọlọrò; wón ní ì bá gbón ì bá lówó lọwọ / People think the poor person lacks the wisdom the wealthy person has; they say if one had wisdom, one would be rich