Filipino stuff

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Itwasneveradream
Veteran
Projects: Color Me Cliche (semi-hiatus) | Rose Colored Days | College Jam | One secret Project

Filipino stuff

#1 Post by Itwasneveradream »

Hi! So, I'm a first year high school student. I've started looking at colleges and courses and I decided to do animation/interactivegamedesign/multimedia arts. Do you know any good colleges with those courses. I heard iAcademy is good :3

Also, do you know if they offer scholarships?

Edit: Is anyone going to the Ozine at Megamall? :3

Because...stuff
Last edited by Itwasneveradream on Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

Re: Anyone from le Philippines!

#2 Post by mugenjohncel »

I recommend Southville International Schools and Colleges
http://www.southville.edu.ph/opencms/op ... aArts.html

A bit on the expensive side but these guys are total spartans when it comes to teaching you. They have the best equipment, best classrooms, best curriculum, small class population and some of the best teachers around. They won't let you go until they are sure you are very much ready for real life... If you feel like going for the best and can handle the pressure, go with them...

"POOF" (Disappears)

Itwasneveradream
Veteran
Projects: Color Me Cliche (semi-hiatus) | Rose Colored Days | College Jam | One secret Project

#3 Post by Itwasneveradream »

mugenjohncel wrote:I recommend Southville International Schools and Colleges
http://www.southville.edu.ph/opencms/op ... aArts.html

A bit on the expensive side but these guys are total spartans when it comes to teaching you. They have the best equipment, best classrooms, best curriculum, small class population and some of the best teachers around. They won't let you go until they are sure you are very much ready for real life... If you feel like going for the best and can handle the pressure, go with them...

"POOF" (Disappears)
Thanks~ It sounds like you experienced it...I'll probably try for the entrance exam :3

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#4 Post by LVUER »

mugenjohncel wrote:A bit on the expensive side
Like how expensive? I don't live there but I'm curious...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#5 Post by mugenjohncel »

LVUER wrote:Like how expensive? I don't live there but I'm curious...
Let's see... as of 2012, Southville is "The Most Expensive College here in the Philippines" at Php100,000.00 upwards per semester (not including miscellaneous costs). It's a small school with a really small population but I can attest to you that they are one if not the best Multimedia Art instructors and top notch facilities...
Itwasneveradream wrote:Thanks~ It sounds like you experienced it...I'll probably try for the entrance exam :3
More than that... two of the instructors I used to work with on TV commercials... I can personally attest to you that these guys know what they're doing and are battle hardened professionals used to staying up late, pressures and deadlines with years of experience and a very thick portfolio behind them... I tell you, every single Media instructor there is like a walking Adobe Creative Suite merged with Corel Products and every known 3D and third party application armed with the latest tools to get the job done...

But before that, may I recommend you have at least the minimum prerequisites like basic knowledge in Adobe Photoshop or related tools...

"POOF" (Disappears)

CSJ
Regular

#6 Post by CSJ »

Funny you mention the Philippines. My father was born in Manila (Spanish, not Pinoy) and emigrated with his family back in the 70s. I've actually come across a lot of Filipinos that have moved to Australia in the last decade, including the odd exchange student.

I think my University actually has options for exchange with the Philippines; I don't have any time left on my degree to fit it in, but if I ever do postgrad, I'll probably consider it.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#7 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

There's LaSalle St Benilde and their Animation course. Although deadly expensive, with more than 60000php per semester. But I once saw their facilities when me and my bro took a tour there; they have awesome tablets and things liek that (CINTIQ YES).

The good ting about being in LaSalle is that if you do a good performance, your professors would actually find you a job opening so that you'd have a job as soon as you graduate, and some professors would offer you to do some odd jobs for money during the semester at weekends. I'm aiming to get in there myself. :)

thekobester11
Regular
Completed: none >.<
Projects: experimenting renpy as of this moment

#8 Post by thekobester11 »

There's actually quite a lot since it's on demand.

There's St. Benilde, the pioneers of the course, BA MMA (Bachelor of Arts Multimedia Arts).

Pros:Like Lumen_Astrum said. They use CINTIQ tablets, not much of a difference really... if you know how to draw, you could use a simple cd-r king tablet that's worth 2K. They have state of the art equipment (sound studio and alienware computers) and a building! They teach you basic photography (if ya don't have an dslr, you could borrow from them!) and they also teach you video editing. They can teach you 3d programs like 3dsmax (a norm in the industry) and maya. They have a 3 year course, majority are majors and not minors like humanities etc.

Cons: Just like Lumen_Astrum said, it's pretty damn expensive. It's a trisem school which means you have to pay up 180K per year, Since they're BA, they don't teach you anything else other than anything related to the course (You can't make a game since, you can't code it. they don't teach programming subjects...but it's the job of the IT anyways...) Although they have top of the game computers, they have not-so updated softwares/ programs. They use Maya 8 for christ's sake (2013 is the newest >_>). And there's the name of the school...

Next is Mapua's BS MAS(Bachelor of Science Multimedia Arts and Sciences) where I'm currently studying from and I'm already a GC.

Pros: We use Intuos tablets with Macs. Mapua also teaches you basic photography, video-editing and animation. They are updated in their softwares (Maya, Photoshop and etc. are up to date.), Since we're BS (Bachelor of Science not bullsh*t XD), they've included some programming subjects like C, C#, C++, visual basic, dreamweaver and java. We're a 4.5 years course. You could choose your electives from video (like directing and etc.) to graphics (logo designing and etc.) and animation.

Cons: here we go... We don't have a building, since mapua is quite small compared to St. Benilde. It has an okay TF ranging 30-40K per sem depending in the subjects. The problem is we're a quarter sem and not a trisem. Which means no vacation for you XD

There's other schools like IAcademy (YOU SHOULD PICK THIS!) in makati and the new multimedia course at UE.

Well, good luck choosing!
Last edited by thekobester11 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zankizuna
Veteran
Completed: Monochrome Valentine
Projects: Softwar
Deviantart: raseru09
itch: ZanKizuna

#9 Post by zankizuna »

I think iACADEMY is good too, my bro wants me to study there.
Benilde is great, Mapua is also fine, but I think schedules there are quite hectic..
personally, I think iACADEMY is a very good choice,
They've got good facilities, and I'm thinking maybe the price won't be so High since it's been up for only about 10 years( maybe?) but Yeah, It's cool.
Last edited by zankizuna on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thekobester11
Regular
Completed: none >.<
Projects: experimenting renpy as of this moment

#10 Post by thekobester11 »

zankizuna wrote:I think iACADEMY is good too, my bro wants me to study there.
Did you pass any test?
I haven't...
Wait, this means your on fourth-year Highschool too?
Cool, Where do you study?
Benilde is great, Mapua is also fine, but I think schedules there are quite hectic..
They've got good facilities, and I'm thinking maybe the price won't be so High since it's been up for only about 10 years( maybe?) but Yeah, It's cool.

Yeah, you should definitely choose iAcademy. Their curriculum is awesome, I mentioned in mapua you can only choose one elective, but in iacademy you can experience them all! If you're into anime (basing from your profile pic, looks like you are XD) they also teach tv animation. In cooperation with toei animation philippines (TAP) (the studio who animates one piece, yeah. One piece is animated here in the philippines! If you see the word TAP in the credits of any anime you watched, it's animated here in the philippined >.< Sorry, kinda know many people there...) And they're kinda new so yeah the prices are not so high compared to other schools.

No, I'm fourth year COLLEGE XD i said GC right? (graduating class)
I'm studying in mapua. But I have my Benilde friends.

Man, I'm good at promoting... I'm not even from iacademy...

mapletaffy
Regular

#11 Post by mapletaffy »

You should consider College of Saint Benilde. The only downside is the tuition fee. However, they offer SDA Grant for some talented students. An essay and a portfolio are some of the requirements. Although, the slots are limited.

Itwasneveradream
Veteran

#12 Post by Itwasneveradream »

thekobester11 wrote:
zankizuna wrote:I think iACADEMY is good too, my bro wants me to study there.
Did you pass any test?
I haven't...
Wait, this means your on fourth-year Highschool too?
Cool, Where do you study?

Yeah, you should definitely choose iAcademy. Their curriculum is awesome, I mentioned in mapua you can only choose one elective, but in iacademy you can experience them all! If you're into anime (basing from your profile pic, looks like you are XD) they also teach tv animation. In cooperation with toei animation philippines (TAP) (the studio who animates one piece, yeah. One piece is animated here in the philippines! If you see the word TAP in the credits of any anime you watched, it's animated here in the philippined >.< Sorry, kinda know many people there...) And they're kinda new so yeah the prices are not so high compared to other schools.

No, I'm fourth year COLLEGE XD i said GC right? (graduating class)
I'm studying in mapua. But I have my Benilde friends.

Man, I'm good at promoting... I'm not even from iacademy...
Well dayum, I gotta say, for someone ot studying at iAcad, you sure know alot.

And Thanks! I now know more. Where I go will prolly be decided by the price, so I think I'm better off with iAcad.

Now..how to convince my parents to let me go there....

SimonLayton
Regular

Re: Anyone from le Philippines! NEW QUESTION

#13 Post by SimonLayton »

I'm answering the Ozine question. xD I really want to go to the Ozine conventions for a long time, but I never got to. I don't think I can go this year too. >:
Honest Critique
itch.io | avatar by crestforge

Itwasneveradream
Veteran

#14 Post by Itwasneveradream »

SimonLayton wrote:I'm answering the Ozine question. xD I really want to go to the Ozine conventions for a long time, but I never got to. I don't think I can go this year too. >:

Awww, is it too far for you?

SimonLayton
Regular

#15 Post by SimonLayton »

Itwasneveradream wrote:
SimonLayton wrote:I'm answering the Ozine question. xD I really want to go to the Ozine conventions for a long time, but I never got to. I don't think I can go this year too. >:

Awww, is it too far for you?
Not really, just... *pulls out the inside of my pockets* And I don't have anyone to come with. xD
Honest Critique
itch.io | avatar by crestforge