2007 Demo

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Mirielle
Regular
Deviantart: miirne
Soundcloud: mirne-1

2007 Demo

#1 Post by Mirielle »

This might be incredibly random, but relevant?

I decided to make a 2007 Animation Demo for voice acting and I was wondering if anyone could listen and comment?

I am looking to become better at voice acting and perhaps even land a professional role one day so comments and critiques would be very helpful.

Thank you!
Available for voice acting - Please listen to my demo reel!

chisa-chan
Regular

#2 Post by chisa-chan »

Ara, I want to listen, but...
THE SITE IS BLOCKED SINCE I SURF IN PA'S OFFICE!!! (Gomen, too many limitations from the server admin :cry: )

I will listen it if I surf at the other place.

By the way, good luck to you! :D :D
Kalau tidak suka ya jangan diladeni, gitu aja kok repot™.
Cynanthia's Blog (Indonesian)

yvanc
Regular

#3 Post by yvanc »

cool clips ^_^

You got great talent there ^_^

I'm sure you'll make a great seiyuu

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#4 Post by yummy »

One word: Awesome.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#5 Post by chronoluminaire »

Well, since you asked for constructive criticism... In the "I... I can see it!", the first "I.." sounds a bit like reading off a script. I think that kind of moment where the voice trails off and stammers is very hard to do well ^^;;

Otherwise, awesome! An impressive range of character types and voices. I love the bunny girl line - that really sounds the part :)
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

dizzcity
Veteran
Projects: Lakeside Sunset, Wedding Vows, Working Woman

#6 Post by dizzcity »

Hmm... I remember listening to this before, on your website. Nevertheless, let me try to give some comments and critiques now:

1) The first voice sounded like you were trying too hard to have a deeper voice than normal. It actually sounded like you were swallowing some of your words, so the diction was unclear.

2) The second voice (which is... Tenma's?) had the correct tone and timbre, but the rhythm was off. Specifically, the "I am no~t telling Yakumo, who couldn't understa~nd sister's worries" didn't sound naturally-paced in English. That might be due to the pace of the anime lip-syncing, though.

3) I guess it shows that I'm not a big dub fan when I find the pronunciation of Japanese names (Yakumo, Mikoto, Sayuri, Yukino, etc.) in English to be off-putting. :) Still, I guess it's a legitimate issue to debate among voice acting fans - should Japanese names be pronounced in the Japanese way, or Americanized pronunciation? This is a matter of taste rather than technique, I think. Still, it might be a good idea to be able to pronounce names both in their original accent as well as the localised accent, if you're looking to become a professional.

4) Overacting a little on the grunt of pain and "lucky shot". Or more precisely, the sound doesn't match the words. Since I don't know the source of this sound byte, I'm not too sure of the context, but the breathy sound of the grunt sounds like the person has had the wind knocked out of them... which means that they shouldn't have enough breath to say "Lucky shot" in such an energetic way.

5) Yakumo's voice when she says "Sister, don't take the path through the forest" was well done. Very nicely acted. (Well, aside from the fact that I found it weird to hear "Nee-san" translated as "Sister" :D, but that's a problem of translation, not acting.)

6) The voices after that segment are all okay. A little more energy or surprise from the "Hey! Yuki, what are you doing?" voice might have been better, but it suffices.

7) The voice saying "The neighbours always saying you're such a nice, well-mannered girl" gives out an unclear emotion. I can't tell whether the emotion you're projecting is scornful sarcasm or teasing humour.

8 ) The next two voices are okay. The last bunny girl voice was Excellently Done. I have no idea who the character is, but you got it pat-down and evoked a strong cutesy feeling just from the tone of your voice alone.

Having said all that, though, remember I'm not a professional VA critic, so I'm not sure exactly how useful my comments will be. It's just an opinion. :) Still, I wish you all the best as you head for your goal!

-Dizzy-

EDIT: I realised who the Bunny Girl was! :D I was guessing that it could be Mikuru, but couldn't confirm it until I watched The Adventures of Asahina Mikuru Episode 00 again. It's a perfect voicecast... sounds just as good as the Japanese seiyuu, Mirielle.
Last edited by dizzcity on Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A smart man follows the rules, a dumb man breaks them. A great man bends the rules and thus creates them.
Fanfiction.net Profile.
Writer and director of Working Woman (NaNoRenO March 2010)
Writer and director of Wedding Vows (finished 2009).
Creator of Lakeside Sunset (finished 2006).

J13
Regular

#7 Post by J13 »

I don't think i could add anything to what the above poster wrote without nitpicking insignificant problems.
What i will say though was i went in with low expectations due to various fandubs i'd watched previously and was pleasantly suprised, you're (in my opinion) far better then the average fandub va.
Good luck with your career, shoudl you choose to pursue one in that industry.

Mirielle
Regular
Deviantart: miirne
Soundcloud: mirne-1

#8 Post by Mirielle »

Thank you all so much for your comments!

I'm incredibly grateful for the honest critiques and I will be keeping everything in mind so I can improve my voice acting!

I'll keep trying my hardest at this! *determined*
Available for voice acting - Please listen to my demo reel!

chisa-chan
Regular

#9 Post by chisa-chan »

I will keep supporting you on this!
Kalau tidak suka ya jangan diladeni, gitu aja kok repot™.
Cynanthia's Blog (Indonesian)

NoMoreStars
Regular

#10 Post by NoMoreStars »

Yup yup.Great demo! Look forward to seeing more stuff from you ^____^