Shout For Joy, Share Your Happiness

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

Re: Shout For Joy, Share Your Happiness

#16 Post by Kato »

Woot congrats Deji, that's awesome! :D
DeeKay wrote:Let's open a bottle of champagne to celebrate ! Uh.. can't share over the internet though, sorry..
If everyone opens a bottle it would work just as good! :D That's my excuse for Sunday night drinks anyway :3
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

#17 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

ty @ sake-bento, my brother's VERY happy and excited. I'll be bugging him bwuahaha.

Soul Eater's on Toonami? o.o Didn't know that, but already watched all of it via Netflix. Still cool though.

As for cars.....I know nothing about cars. I'll let you car people discuss that. XD

A huge congratulations to Bright Onion! May their game become a great success once officially finished and released.

As for you Deji...completely speechless. *in awe*
ImageImageImageImage

Mephala
Regular

#18 Post by Mephala »

I have a happy story to share, it is, all the better because it involves this very forum. Starting with me. First, I created an account not long ago. I then snooped around reading sticky topics to get the feel of the community. Seeing it recommended to post in the Guestbook and deciding it is a good idea to meet people and make friends I did just that!

In the guest book, I left my first mark with a bit of a wall of text ending with a little comment on PMing me for a chat cause I'm interested in meeting new people and am generally pretty accepting.

In the same day, I got my first PM. I won't name names but I still only have this one person I am chatting here with at the moment. We are both complete newbies which is fantastic as we have stuff in common. So it seems I've made a web friend! Further more, we are both learning the ropes and have reached similar conclusions. ie. We want to practice, make something, work on something. We are not confident enough or committed enough to jump into a group at this point but we question whether our times hacking away blindly/intuitively in our own way is as useful as doing something in a group where we can learn from each other in the ways of development as well as the workings of Ren'Py itself.

This, obviously let to a secret handshake of sorts where we now have a planned TINY project for the next week. We are super excited for the new directions and being so small that we get the feeling of security and nothing really can go wrong. We are just testing the waters. This is the project we have somewhat committed ourselves to:
Here is my idea, let me know what you think before we start anything.

[*]We make a tiny VN each.
[*]We send each other our VNs at the end of the week.
[*]We can critique, comment on each other's works. Feed off our ideas.
[*]In the following week, we add an additional scene to the VNs. I'll add one to yours and you can add one to mine.
- The reason for this, rather than continuing to work on our own is so we can get a feel of working with someone else. Sometimes, you have to work with other people's stuff (eg. A team member can no longer work and his workload is distributed to others). We can get experience in matching our writing and style to that of another person.
[*]Each week, we will have a few simple, basic, achievable mile stones/goals.
- We start slow so we can find our own pace and work upwards from there. Once we have ALL the weekly goals done we can spice things up with extras if we want.

Some notes/clarifications.
[*]We want to keep this simple. Its more a learning exercise than a VN.
[*]We can pillage stuff from the creative commons. Add in some stuff of your own if you have time and feel like it. :D
[*]This isn't just for ren'py practice, though it is mostly for me. Feel free to practice your writing or artworks after meeting the goals. This is one of the reason I think we should keep the goals low.
[*]Schedules and time clashes are bound to happen sooner or later. Feel free to postpone a submission if you need time. School, exams, friends, chores and such comes first. This is more of a hobby project. I should hopefully *fingers crossed* find and start work again in a few weeks so I'll likely be in the same boat. :)
[*]We have our strengths in different areas. It is important to note we are not competing. If I for some silly reason include a full album of fancy music, it shouldn't mean you have to include music as well. Similarly if you write an amazing piece or use nice fancy custom sprites there are no expectations to follow.
Meeting a happy response I have developed a quick first week plan.
We can start together and let the stories and scenes diverge from each other as we go.

Week One
The Milestones
[*]A single scene
[*]Minimum two main characters with their own sprites.
[*]Minimum 2 background images.
Optional:
[*]A choice. (Menu & Jump in ren'py terms ;))
[*]A simple end.

I added some optional stuff since this week we don't have to check each others works. I think next week we can work on less goals but perhaps more interesting ones.

Slight Restrictions (only for first week)
For convenience sakes, since we both like Fantasy I suggest we stick to that. Further more, since we need two characters I suggest we use each other. We can, perhaps, put a little of ourselves in our character so we can understand each other a little better if you like. In this first scene, we meet up for the first time in a fantasy world. After this meeting we travel together, for whatever the reasons, to where ever the destination. How we meet is entirely up to you, casual meeting, action scenes, mystery or whatever style you fancy, but this restriction aims to give us a focal starting point and a slight direction. Focus on the meeting and running ideas. If you want to include sketches or ideas that is fine, but consider that if you plan an epic adventure and across the mountains but next week I write that we took the scenic beach route instead due to the alignment of the stars and direction of the winds then you're stuck with that until you can change it in the 3rd scene. :lol:

Lastly, keep in mind that we will be playing our tiny VN multiple times for error checking and checking each other's script files etc. Adding too much content will complicate things.

Above all else, I hope we have fun as well as learn!
Slightly edited quotes for privacy reasons. But, we now have two hesitant newbies excitedly poking ren'py engine with stubby curious fingers! And I have +1 casual friend. Win/win in every way.

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by Kato »

@Mephala - That sounds fantastic! Sharing and helping each other like that should result in you picking up things really quick :) I went the 'learning solo' route myself and only signed up to the forums when I thought I was sufficiently capable at helping others and could add something to the community. If I could go back though I would have liked to do what you have done and find someone at my skill level and work together to better ourselves. Good luck with you VNs!

ps: Have you considered working together with this other person and making a VN for NaNoReNo? It may be a bit soon but if the chemistry is right between you, a month could be more than enough time to finish a small VN :p
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

Mephala
Regular

#20 Post by Mephala »

Kato wrote:@Mephala - That sounds fantastic! Sharing and helping each other like that should result in you picking up things really quick :) I went the 'learning solo' route myself and only signed up to the forums when I thought I was sufficiently capable at helping others and could add something to the community. If I could go back though I would have liked to do what you have done and find someone at my skill level and work together to better ourselves. Good luck with you VNs!

ps: Have you considered working together with this other person and making a VN for NaNoReNo? It may be a bit soon but if the chemistry is right between you, a month could be more than enough time to finish a small VN :p
Thanks! NaNoReno sounds amazing! I am uncertain we will be ready for it. It also seems to be quite a bit of a challenge to be honest given our current capabilities. I have no doubts that if we give it a good, serious crack we would leave with invaluable experience whether we complete the challenge or not. I suppose we will give it some consideration. The challenge is more or less the same as what we have planned but the commitment of it seems higher given the deadline of 1 month. Our method was more uhh... relaxed, this could be a bit scary. :lol:
How often does NaNoReno run?

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran

#21 Post by Kato »

Mephala wrote:
Kato wrote:@Mephala - That sounds fantastic! Sharing and helping each other like that should result in you picking up things really quick :) I went the 'learning solo' route myself and only signed up to the forums when I thought I was sufficiently capable at helping others and could add something to the community. If I could go back though I would have liked to do what you have done and find someone at my skill level and work together to better ourselves. Good luck with you VNs!

Thanks! NaNoReno sounds amazing! I am uncertain we will be ready for it. It also seems to be quite a bit of a challenge to be honest given our current capabilities. I have no doubts that if we give it a good, serious crack we would leave with invaluable experience whether we complete the challenge or not. I suppose we will give it some consideration. The challenge is more or less the same as what we have planned but the commitment of it seems higher given the deadline of 1 month. Our method was more uhh... relaxed, this could be a bit scary. :lol:
How often does NaNoReno run?
Yeah, the whole idea is pretty daunting for me too :lol: a month just isn't that long in the end... Uhh, Afaik it goes every year since it's based from nanowrimo... I think XD
Image Image

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

#22 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

To fully answer the question, it happens once a year in the month of March.

Here is an old thread that has the original guidelines. http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... f=4&t=1750

And here is a more recent thread made this year. http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =4&t=19232

Either way of if you and your secret penpal join in or not, I hope you two enjoy your time here on lemma and have fun with your personal projects. ^^
ImageImageImageImage

Mephala
Regular

#23 Post by Mephala »

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll go to that topic with my other questions about it. We decided to do our first week first then consider whether we want to join in or not. :D

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#24 Post by KomiTsuku »

Sunlit-Dreamer wrote: Here is an old thread that has the original guidelines. http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... f=4&t=1750
The original one is... http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... ?f=4&t=272

Anyway, it has been a decent couple of days. I managed to beat the claw machine and win two prizes. I swore I was going to beat that thing and I did.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#25 Post by Deji »

I'm grateful for being able to make such nice friends online! (I only wished I could go visit them, stupid expensive plane tickets!)
I've made some of them over here at LSF and drawing around in general, and that makes me really happy.

Thanks for being there for me, talking to me, supporting me and being nice to me in general!

*sends hugs to everybody, friends and acquaintances the same*
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

latte
Regular
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds, untitled KN

#26 Post by latte »

Deji, congratulations! What you've accomplished is so incredible, and a dream of most of us. I wish you as much success there as you have in the West, from the bottom of my heart.
Mephala, it's so wonderful to meet good friends be it online or offline, so I can definitely feel your joy.

I've just gotten accepted into my first choice university, now I'm officially a graphic design freshman! Making things pretty has been a hobby of mine since Neopets lookups (lol) and school presentations, so I'm looking forward to everything school can teach me~ Parents are both so happy too, which is rare, usually what makes one glad makes the other mad...

After I learn more cool stuff, I'll open some logo and/or GUI requests in order to give back to this wonderful forum and its people.

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran

#27 Post by Kato »

Whaaat! That's awesome Kanin! Congrats :D :D
Image Image

Seiia

#28 Post by Seiia »

This happened a while ago, but as the end of this school year and the start of the next comes closer, so does my excitement:

I got a full scholarship to college! I am leaving college debt free. :D

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#29 Post by Deji »

Congrats Kanin! :D I hope you'll have fun!
And wow, Seiia, congrats!! :D That's awesome!

Man, I'm really happy right now, because a fellow local illustrator organized weekly Human Figure Study sessions with a nude model, and I'll be able to attend (it's hard to find classes, and they're usually like US$800 X_x, while this time the model charges like $50 per session and it'll be split between the attendants.) I think I'll appreciate the classes a lot more now that I did when I was in college (: I've wanted to attend classes with a model for a long time!
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#30 Post by Sapphi »

Mephala wrote: But, we now have two hesitant newbies excitedly poking ren'py engine with stubby curious fingers! And I have +1 casual friend. Win/win in every way.
Aw, that's so happy. It's always better to stumble through new challenges with friends. It makes things not so lonely...
Seiia wrote: I got a full scholarship to college! I am leaving college debt free. :D
Awww, lucky! That's wonderful!
latte wrote:Making things pretty has been a hobby of mine since Neopets lookups (lol)
You too, huh? :P

...Meh, I feel guilty reading this thread. I tried to think of something happy I could share here and came up with nothing too substantial or worthy of reading... but at least it heals my pessimistic heart a little bit, being able to read everyone's happy stories. Keep sharing them!
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬