Shout For Joy, Share Your Happiness

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
latte
Regular
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds, untitled KN

Re: Shout For Joy, Share Your Happiness

#31 Post by latte »

Sapphi wrote:...Meh, I feel guilty reading this thread. I tried to think of something happy I could share here and came up with nothing too substantial or worthy of reading... but at least it heals my pessimistic heart a little bit, being able to read everyone's happy stories. Keep sharing them!
There's no such thing as not worth reading, it's what makes you happy, period. So feel free to share whatever small good thing that might have happened! ; ▽ ;

Seiia, that's so good! I'm on the same boat because the best unis here are free, but high school is expensive as hell (don't ask me why). No more burdening parents with 8k/year!
And thanks, Kato ^-^ Hopefully it'll have positive effects on my illustrations too? I love designer-drawn stuff which is half the reason I enrolled, haha.

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#32 Post by KittyKatStar »

Seiia wrote:This happened a while ago, but as the end of this school year and the start of the next comes closer, so does my excitement:

I got a full scholarship to college! I am leaving college debt free. :D
Niiiice. Student loans/debt aren't fun... I had *some* minor scholarships, but had to work to afford my education. I did leave debt-free, but I also had no life due to all the part-time jobs I had. So I can't say I really got to enjoy the campus/college/university life. =< So congrats again, and good luck! ^_^

I wish I had something awesome/happy to share. ^^; I am enjoying these stories though.

Hrm... I *am* going on a small vacation next week. Kick back my feet, sip piña coladas and read. I'm looking forward to it because I've been working a lot at my main job, and a break would be nice.

wonderland
Regular
Projects: Fairy Tale Stupor [GxB] [Fantasy] [Adventure]

#33 Post by wonderland »

Seiia wrote:This happened a while ago, but as the end of this school year and the start of the next comes closer, so does my excitement:

I got a full scholarship to college! I am leaving college debt free. :D

Whoa, that's awesome! I know some people are already in their 40's still working off student loans! They really are a killer... May I ask what you did to get such an amazing opportunity? (Sports, artistic, or just brains in general?)
"Keep your head up princess, if not the crown falls.."

Seiia

#34 Post by Seiia »

Thanks, everyone! (:
wonderland wrote:May I ask what you did to get such an amazing opportunity? (Sports, artistic, or just brains in general?)
I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with this, but I took a college entrance exam type test called the ACT and scored a 30 out of 36 points. That's the 95th percentile. The college I'm attending awards a full ride based on that alone, which is advantageous since my GPA is not quite a 3.5 as is typically required by most colleges. So, basically academics, only I didn't study. ^^;

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#35 Post by Sapphi »

latte wrote: There's no such thing as not worth reading, it's what makes you happy, period. So feel free to share whatever small good thing that might have happened! ; ▽ ;
Alright, then. I woke up today, and I am healthy. Even though my chest feels heavy and sometimes it hurts to live, I am glad to be alive ^O^
Seiia wrote: I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with this, but I took a college entrance exam type test called the ACT and scored a 30 out of 36 points. That's the 95th percentile. The college I'm attending awards a full ride based on that alone, which is advantageous since my GPA is not quite a 3.5 as is typically required by most colleges. So, basically academics, only I didn't study. ^^;
:o

I got a 31/36 and didn't get anything like that...!
...wait, maybe I did... but if they weren't art schools, I didn't bother checking further...

I wonder if I should have gone to college for something academic so I could make good use of that score... but I would have probably gone for English or Literature or something, which I hear is one of those "useless" degrees...

(Congrats on that good score, BTW! That test was really draining to take, for me. I was burnt out at the end!)
Last edited by Sapphi on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

9-of-Hearts
Regular

#36 Post by 9-of-Hearts »

Seiia wrote:Thanks, everyone! (:
wonderland wrote:May I ask what you did to get such an amazing opportunity? (Sports, artistic, or just brains in general?)
I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with this, but I took a college entrance exam type test called the ACT and scored a 30 out of 36 points. That's the 95th percentile. The college I'm attending awards a full ride based on that alone, which is advantageous since my GPA is not quite a 3.5 as is typically required by most colleges. So, basically academics, only I didn't study. ^^;
Congrats!!
Oh my god, I want this school. I qualify for that.... and then I wouldn't have to worry about patchworking my my money and aid together T^T. Where is this, if it's not too intrusive to ask? And does the ACT full-ride only count for entering freshman?
i wonder if that school could be worth it because moneys....

Seiia

#37 Post by Seiia »

9-of-Hearts wrote:Oh my god, I want this school. I qualify for that.... and then I wouldn't have to worry about patchworking my my money and aid together T^T. Where is this, if it's not too intrusive to ask? And does the ACT full-ride only count for entering freshman?
i wonder if that school could be worth it because moneys....
It's Jacksonville State University, which is located in the center of Alabama? Somewhere in Alabama. About two hours from Huntsville, which is where I live. And I /think/ the scholarship isn't exclusive to freshman, but don't quote me on that.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#38 Post by PyTom »

Is it an in-state thing, where the top 5% of students in a state get a full ride to the state university?

Getting scholarships is a great thing, since it means you have a little more freedom in school, and when you get out again, to pursue things you find interesting that might not be 100% lucrative at the start.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#39 Post by Mink »

I'm stupidly happy that I found a Nox figure on Ebay that saved me money AND is of decent size!

On a different note, watching Wakfu makes me want to relearn French, which I haven't spoken since middle school.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#40 Post by Kato »

Mink wrote:I'm stupidly happy that I found a Nox figure on Ebay that saved me money AND is of decent size!

On a different note, watching Wakfu makes me want to relearn French, which I haven't spoken since middle school.
I was in love with dofus back in the day (I still remember when Rambo hit the 100 mark). Was so excited for the wakfu game but it turned out to be a let down for me. The cartoon is awesome though, swear I've modeled my entire life under grovey's teachings :3 hehe
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

9-of-Hearts
Regular

#41 Post by 9-of-Hearts »

It...It SNOWED. Here. Where I live.
I HAVEN'T BEEN WHERE IT'S ACTIVELY AND ACTUALLY SNOWED SINCE I WAS 7.
So I'm ecstatic and overjoyed. Even if it didn't collect on the ground (it melted into pools) because it rained before it all turned into legit snow.
I caught some on my tongue. Stayed out in it for at least 3 hours, and my face was all wet and half-froze and it was incredible!
It's cold and I had hot cocoa.
My day is amazing.

Katon
Regular
Completed: Death Rule:lost code (Art), Death Rule: Fear Complex (Art), Amity: One Tale (Art)
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System(Art) , Gene Codex: Genesis
Organization: MESI Games, Corpse Theater
Tumblr: corpsetheater

#42 Post by Katon »

Oh boy where do I begin. First off forgive me I am typing on my phone.

So about a few weeks ago our house burned down and everything was a total loss. THANKFULLY, everyone just happened to be out that night, but thanks to that out insurance didn't put us in a hotel tha night so Red Cross managed to get us a motel in Hollywood. So stuff happened and out insurance got us into a nicer hotel.

But tomorrow we are moving into a very nice like.. A million dollar home for the next six months while our house gets reconstructed( insurance is paying of course)! It has like an indoor pool and outdoor a huge yard etc. I feel like we seriously needed this break, espically my mother who had all this stress. So yeah. I think I'm more excited at the fact that I finally get my own room. But hey... I am happy we are not homeless or hotel hopping anymore!

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#43 Post by Kato »

@katon - geez, that started horrible! Glad you get to live it up for 6 months though! :3
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

Mephala
Regular

#44 Post by Mephala »

Sapphi wrote:
Mephala wrote: But, we now have two hesitant newbies excitedly poking ren'py engine with stubby curious fingers! And I have +1 casual friend. Win/win in every way.
Aw, that's so happy. It's always better to stumble through new challenges with friends. It makes things not so lonely...

...Meh, I feel guilty reading this thread. I tried to think of something happy I could share here and came up with nothing too substantial or worthy of reading... but at least it heals my pessimistic heart a little bit, being able to read everyone's happy stories. Keep sharing them!
The mere fact that my happiness has made you even a little cheerier is enough for it to feel like a personal victory for me so there is no need to feel guilty.

My friend and I are making progress on our little VNs. More importantly we are having FUN while doing it. We have also been keeping up communications and I even got the urge to meet her in person for a chat over coffee. :lol:

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#45 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I'm having fun planning the year ahead of me ^_^ Even if it doesn't go totally according to plan, having short, mid and long term goals makes me happy because I like having something to aim for. My short term goal is to get my drivers license. I don't actually want to drive, but the thought of being able to get around by myself is exciting and I'll need to be able to drive for my future plans. My mid term goal is that I am going to take a short 2 week tour around Europe in September. Since none of my friends are in a position to travel, I'm going to go on a group tour with the main idea is that I am going to have a look at a number of countries so I can see what areas I would like to go back to. And my long term goal is to move to Melbourne and change jobs! I have somewhere I can live before I get a job and an apartment and I have family near there. And if that doesn't work out I can always move back since it's not that much of a hassle with what I have. I like change because of the opportunities it gives me and I want to see lots of new things~