What do people misunderstands about you?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

Re: What do people misunderstands about you?

#76 Post by silverpikachu99 »

The thing most people tend to misunderstand about me is that I am far from normal. They think that because I'm Asian, I always have to be this boring person all the time. Another misunderstanding is that I'm a brilliant person, when really I'm just average!
i'll cry if you yell at me

Chasing Summer
Regular
Projects: unannounced project

#77 Post by Chasing Summer »

I’m a very quiet and timid person around strangers. When I’m communicating with people I’m comfortable with, I let my real side show. But some people misunderstand and think I don’t like them and I might have lost a few friends because of that. I’ve tried to change, before realizing that it’s a part of my personality. If people don’t understand that, although I explain it to them, maybe we weren’t meant to be friends.

Another misunderstanding I’ve been encountering since I was ten years old, is that when I’m at department stores, toys r us shopping christmas presents for my little sis, etc, people often mistake me for someone who works there. People ALWAYS come up to me and ask “where can I find blah blah blah” and I’m like, “I DON’T WORK HERE!!!” I blame my tall height.

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#78 Post by noeinan »

I feel bad, but after graduating college I basically only talk to 3 people outside work... So I don't have very many misunderstandings anymore? This is the one that still gets me:

1. My weight-- throughout much of my childhood I was healthy, but very very scrawny. Now I've gained enough weight to be average but everyone still says I'm extremely thin... When I tell them what I weigh, and that I have 30% body fat they don't believe me!

And some from the past when I actually talked to people, haha:

2. When I was really little (elementary school) I had an impish face, so I would always look like I was lying, or up to mischief. My angel faced little sister would do bad things, and then I would get in trouble for them because I looked guilty.

3. Middle and high school, people seemed to think I was very religious and straight edge? I don't know why but they would assume that I would look down on them for drinking, smoking, or having sex-- even though I was probably one of the most liberal people in my area regarding those things, haha. (I grew up in a hick town where all the red-heads and blonde folks were related to one another.)

I also apparently came off as super intimidating, even though I was the "mother/therapist" of my friend group. (In the sense of listening to everyone's problems, giving them advice, picking them up when they got stranded in Seattle at 3:00am and they didn't want their family to know.)

4. This is a popular one, but my age. People still mistake me for a middle or high schooler if they don't know me. If they do know me they always think I'm in my late 20s or early 30s. It's pretty weird.

briannavon
Miko-Class Veteran

#79 Post by briannavon »

Due to my nerdy-ness and Aspergers Syndrome, people misunderstand me a bunch. Here are a few things :

1. Because of my LOVE of science and my extreme support of the LGBT community, people think I'm an Atheist (I have nothing against them, I am just not one). I'm actually Baptist and my love of those things ties into my religion.

2. I always use a high vocabulary when speaking in front of people so people tend to think I assume I am better than them because I don't understand slang (no matter how many times I explain that I never said that).

3. Because I am quiet and prefer online company to the company of people where I live, many people assume I am being rude when I just do not feel like talking (random note : I also try to be quiet because many people offline like to make fun of the way I talk but still think I am the rude one....)

Sorry If this is too long!
Join Me At LivingGame Productions!

http://livinggameproductions.blogspot.com/

DerWanderer
Regular
Organization: Nowme Studio

#80 Post by DerWanderer »

People think I'm arrogant simply because I'm very ambitious, especially when it comes to sharpening my skills.

The people in my country have this humble culture of not showing off what you can do. It depresses me that many of them prefer to "be satisfied with the current condition", instead of "striving your hardest to become better and better". I think it's the reason why my country never becomes a well-developed one.

"Unfortunately, corruption and violence have become endemic. It’s a clear symptom that the world is sick." - Gertrude Til

Midnighticequeen
Veteran
Completed: Bunni and Kitty, Sweethearts, Tiesa's Tales
Projects: Wish
Organization: Ice Queen Games
itch: icequeenstudios

#81 Post by Midnighticequeen »

People think that because I keep quiet I got nothing to say, which isn't true. Because I'm so quiet people don't get to know the real me until I warm up to them. Then they end up surprised with how loud I can be, or how funny I am, or silly.

I'm also show few facial expressions so some people think I'm cold. Other times people think I exist just to hear their problems. I had strangers walk up to me and tell me their life stories for no reason at all. It's like I broadcast the 'I'm a good listener' vibe or something. :D

People think I like their kids and their pets, but it seems like the pets and kids just come to me.

And maybe because I don't get out and socialize enough I haven't learned to develop a nicer tone. What I say comes of as blunt and rude when that was the farthest thing I had in mind. It makes it hard to form relationships when everyone thinks your a jerk, but sometimes no matter how nice I phrase something or how well I explain myself people would rather think bad about me, even though I did everything I could to be pleasant, helpful, and reliable to them.

I'm also more sensitive then people realize.

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#82 Post by Applegate »

DerWanderer wrote:People think I'm arrogant simply because I'm very ambitious, especially when it comes to sharpening my skills.

The people in my country have this humble culture of not showing off what you can do. It depresses me that many of them prefer to "be satisfied with the current condition", instead of "striving your hardest to become better and better". I think it's the reason why my country never becomes a well-developed one.
The Netherlands tote the same humility in their culture, and they became well-developed.

Tahrgat
Regular
Projects: End of Darkness
Organization: Artistic License Studio

#83 Post by Tahrgat »

People, especially females, often view me as timid or non-sexual because I don't go out of my way to flirt, because I don't stare at women like most guys do and because I generally will go out of my way to avoid being overly close to or touching females. I behave this way because I respect women and because I respect my wife. I, of course, am fond of being close to her :p

People often feel that I am very comfortable in public because I am polite, I attempt to converse with people about things they are interested in and I speak well. This is only a mask I wear to survive. Most days it is physically painful for me to be at work because I suffer so bad mentally. I believe that I suffer with some sort of social anxiety disorder. Whatever this is I am not affected by it in digital social settings such as this.

Hope this didn't weird anyone out. I didn't make the subject :P

Sugar-Junkie
Regular
Projects: Smile for Me (WIP), Greystone Manor (hiatus)

#84 Post by Sugar-Junkie »

People often think I'm aggressive and gloomy because I'm very tall and suffer from the terrible "bitch face syndrom" : my eyebrows are placed in a permafrown. ^^' I'm actually very friendly but also quite shy.

angeliza
Regular
Completed: 0
Projects: 0
Organization: Currently free lancing in order to gain experience

#85 Post by angeliza »

When I was in eigth grade, I was mistaken by a teacher for an elementry school student, and almost sent away to the nearby eementry school! Now I'm in highschool, and I while I'm not mistaken for a grade schooler anymore, I'm only 4,10, so everyone always gets all surprised when I say I'm a junor...
XD

Other than that, I am often viewed as overly trusting...but the truth is, i know when people lie to me, I just choose to trust them anyway.^^
Everyone deserves the benefit of a doubt, and besides, I've learned from experience that trusting others and being hurt is better than trusting no one and being alone...
So it's better!^^

heypetdragon
Regular
Projects: 'Angelsong', 'The Homestead', 'The Seedling Witch' and 'Para!'

#86 Post by heypetdragon »

angeliza wrote:When I was in eigth grade, I was mistaken by a teacher for an elementry school student,
It's the same with me, it's hard to be vertically challenged.

angeliza
Regular
Completed: 0
Projects: 0
Organization: Currently free lancing in order to gain experience

#87 Post by angeliza »

Finally, someone who understands!
XD

Yes, being vertically challanged is difficult...especially when you got a friends house, and their cabinets are so high, you have to climb up on the counter to get a cup!
*my mom has our cabinets lowered everytime we move because she is also short, so I don't have a problem with cabinets in my own home.*

Crystaline Spade
Regular
Projects: Where the Wind Travels
Tumblr: crystaline-spade
Deviantart: CrystalineSpade

#88 Post by Crystaline Spade »

For me it's mostly about my personality

Everyone who doesn't know me thinks I'm shy or quiet when I honestly I just don't have anything to say to them.
People think I'm stupid because I often daydream during class when in actuality I make higher scores then them.
A lot of times people think I'm being mean when I'm just painfully honest.
And most importantly one of my friends keeps mistaking my flat chested girls for guys even when they ware a dress...

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#89 Post by Morhighan »

People think I'm lazy and that I like to give up easily and am an attention whore who is always looking for drama.

I try to work hard, but I get sick easily. I try to ask for advice, and when people put me down I don't stand for it. Most of the time, if I start a new project, or a new semester in school, or get a new job, something terrible happens and I am forced to quit. I hate this pattern that keeps happening in my life, but it's always stuff that is out of my control.

I also have a misconception about myself: I think that I am capable of being normal/healthy. And I get comfortable with that idea.
But when my symptoms flare up, it's always harsh reality that comes crashing down.

Also people tend to think I am suicidal, or know a lot about suicide. I don't, but I -am- very empathetic. I am glad for this empathy because it has allowed me to save at least two people's lives. ^u^