Yo people with glasses say "aye"!

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
enta
Veteran
Projects: One Moment in Summer(GxB/Supernatural)

Re: Yo people with glasses say "aye"!

#16 Post by enta »

I got mine 6 years ago. It was those time where I stay up all night watching anime(I was in grade 6). I'm farsighted but my head and eyes hurts a lot back then. It was some sort of astigmatism or something but I don't know what kind of eye doctor quack had checked me up but it she told me it would get better after 6 months of wearing glasses and look at me now, still wearing glasses when reading something after 6 YEARS! D:

I had plans on having a high school debut so I got my lenses last week but my eyes won't get used at them. I think I'm attending senior high with those round spectacles again.

Btw, I have this money-wasting urge to change my glasses every year. For the record, ever since I've wore them, I already owned 6 pairs. So yeah, I REALLY change them every year if you think about it. (and I'm not counting the 3 spares I bought along before).

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#17 Post by papillon »

I had eye surgery when I was small... just to get me to the level I'm at. Mine have never been actually fixable.

(I'm not sure what they did to my weaker eye, as I was way too young to understand or remember)

Sabotage
Regular
Projects: Cupcake! [WIP-40%] :: Riddled [Idea-0%]

#18 Post by Sabotage »

Aye! I got glasses pretty early in life, like most of the recent posters. Around six or seven. I could never finish the work my teacher would write out in class. This resulted to a lot of scoldings (and a raw bum). They all thought I was kind of slow or lazy because of this. Turns out, I just couldn't see the blackboard at all.

Still wearing glasses till now. All through out grade school I was thought to be the smart, serious one (just cos of the glasses) so I kinda fit that mold without meaning to. By high school I was promoted to "geek". Didn't help that I was an anime/gaming fan! And now geeks are the in thing, I see a lot of people wearing fashion glasses even when they have good vision. I feel almost bitter.. Then for the first time in my life, I'm suddenly part of the trend without trying.

I experimented with contacts, but they just aren't my thing. I find the different the colors silly looking.. And my eyes would turn dry or itchy at the end of the day. Also, I look very different without glasses, to the point that people don't recognize me without them haha!

Anyone care to share their grades? My left eye is 575 and my right is 600.

thedarkdefender
Regular
Projects: TBTR
Organization: Clockwork Cafe

#19 Post by thedarkdefender »

Wow. Those grades are quite high. Mine's only 100(right) and 125(left).

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#20 Post by Ran08 »

Almost similar, Sabotage. My right is 600 and my left is 550. :) The right has always been a little higher than the left.

I remember when a classmate of mine complained that she could hardly see a thing without glasses. My first reaction was, "I know how you feel! What's your eye grade?" She said, "Right is 100, left is 75." I almost told her out loud how much I envied her. -___- Hahaha.

9-of-Hearts
Regular

#21 Post by 9-of-Hearts »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:Your eyes have to adjust to new glasses - each pair of glasses has certain quirks, like maybe being slightly tilted, or one lens being closer to one eye than the other. You've experienced this whenever you get a new pair of glasses, right? It takes a few days for them to feel natural and your eyes to relax. When you go without them for a month, then put them back on, your eyes have to readjust all over again. Your eye muscles actually find a comfortable amount of tension to put on your eyes to make things focus with the least amount of effort. That amount of tension will change with a new pair of glasses or contacts, or switching back to one from another after an extended time.

I had a friend who only started wearing glasses as an adult. His optometrist told him he was supposed to wear them all the time, but he didn't, because they "felt weird and wrong", and made him constantly want to blink. I asked him how often he wore them, and he told me he would try them for a day, then go without them for a week and try again. We were working crunch time at the studio, (imagine, an artist doing art that needs glasses and isn't wearing them!) so I made him wear them for a full week. No surprise, he told me suddenly the glasses were working! :roll:

You'll likely have to choose between always wearing the month long contacts or wearing glasses. Or learn to put up with uncomfortable adjust periods between the two.
Yeah I agree, I've done it for a while. But I've changed glasses and things often enough in the past to be able to tell a transition period apart from this... Oh wait, I think they mainly need a good cleaning (they are being stubbornly smudged, methinks), but I don't have any cleaning solution... Well, I'll switch it back to contacts soon enough.

And I don't know my grades.... I always forget to ask. My left eye is better than my right by a bit though, and I have minor astigmatism.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#22 Post by papillon »

I don't know what those 'grades' mean... But then, if you're talking about 20/20 and the like I don't think that's even relevant when farsighted. It's not like I can see extra WELL at long distances (sorry, Mercedes Lackey, but it's not a superpower).

JumpJump
Veteran
Projects: 9413
Organization: 2wo dollars

#23 Post by JumpJump »

I've been a specky since I was 12. It took everyone a LONG time before they figured out that because I couldn't see anything was one of the reasons I wasn't doing so well at school :lol: . I was offered a new pair for free when I had my last checkup. It seemed that my opticians had other ways to make me pay, when I picked them up. To my horror, the lenses where now 3x the thickness then my old ones. Saying that:

"If you cross my palm with gold, you could get a special kind of lens, much thinner, but, with the same strength."

I put them on and walked out, Only leaving works in my wake:

"Such dark magic cannot be allowed to exist!"

Things looked a bit strange for some time, I clocked on why this was. It turns out that they where so thick that I was looking through the totality of existence and I was finally able to understand the trans perambulation of pseudo-cosmic antimatter! Giving them a clean with that little free cloth once a day sorted it.
"You are the master of understatement, chief. You had a foursome with the Elephant Man and a couple of foreign princesses. I'd head on out before the paparazzi arrive, if I were you." - Barry the time travelling sprout

Old and new, whatever you want. All is here.

Sabotage
Regular

#24 Post by Sabotage »

thedarkdefender wrote:Wow. Those grades are quite high. Mine's only 100(right) and 125(left).
Ah how time pass! Those were my first grades (R-100 L-100) when I first wore glasses, but they just got higher every year. High school came and the grades slowed down a bit, fortunately. Though, I have no way to tell my exact grade atm.. I've been wearing the same glasses for around 3-4 years now.
Ran08 wrote:Almost similar, Sabotage. My right is 600 and my left is 550. :) The right has always been a little higher than the left.
Yeah, I wonder why that is. It's prolly cos of our dominant eye? Pretty sure my dominant eye is my right.. Almost sure. Not really sure. Or maybe I might've scratched my right eye more? Haha!
9-of-Hearts wrote: And I don't know my grades.... I always forget to ask. My left eye is better than my right by a bit though, and I have minor astigmatism.
papillon wrote:I don't know what those 'grades' mean... But then, if you're talking about 20/20 and the like I don't think that's even relevant when farsighted. It's not like I can see extra WELL at long distances (sorry, Mercedes Lackey, but it's not a superpower).
JumpJump wrote: Things looked a bit strange for some time, I clocked on why this was. It turns out that they where so thick that I was looking through the totality of existence and I was finally able to understand the trans perambulation of pseudo-cosmic antimatter! Giving them a clean with that little free cloth once a day sorted it.
These posts puts things in perspective because I have astigmatism too.. and when I was younger I thought it was a superpower (I wish I was kidding). I would focus and defocus on something I'm looking at and I would imagine my eye was like a telescope. Turns out constant defocusing wasn't actually normal and my eyes muscles were just having a hard time at it! hahaha!

Oh yeah, I have those same glasses too.. the ones that are thinner but with the same strength. I almost considered getting the normal ones to save money but I saw how thick (and heavy!) they were. Pretty sure I will build extra neck muscles to keep them in my face!

DeeKay
Veteran

#25 Post by DeeKay »

Let's see..

I'm originally cross-eyed as in : my left eye's sight converges with my right one's. I had surgery done on me when I was just 1 year old to correct this.
After that, I wore glasses to educate me further into looking straight with both eyes but my parents found out it was pointless after a check.

I stopped wearing glasse for quite a while, then started using them again about 3 years ago, on advice.
I'm actually slightly near-sighted on my right eye and slightly far-sighted on my left eye. It never occurred to me that I'd need glasses for vision issues as I didn't notice I had any up to this point.

My eyes crossing can still happen occasionally when I'm very tired though. Some people told me it's cute (lol, why ?).

So basically, I don't really need glasses, but they help me in not getting as tired, especially in front of a screen for extended periods of time. I guess it's also a bit less work for my brain, I don't know.. ^^'
I don't wear them at home though.
-- No longer active --
-- English/French Translation topic here
-- Hope~ - Symphony of Tomorrow alpha demo playthrough here (1h35mn long video !)

-- Current avatar by SilverHyena => her DA account

-- Check out this project if you have some time !

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#26 Post by Haze »

Aye!

I've had glasses since I was...five, I think? When I got them, I had to wear this patch thing on the right lense because of something with my left eye. I didn't wear the patch for too long, though. Maybe a year at most? Something like that.

I've been wearing glasses ever since. Maybe I'll get contacts someday...
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#27 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

papillon wrote:I don't know what those 'grades' mean... But then, if you're talking about 20/20 and the like I don't think that's even relevant when farsighted. It's not like I can see extra WELL at long distances (sorry, Mercedes Lackey, but it's not a superpower).
Really, it isn't? I've always been curious about what it was like for the farsighted folk, because as someone who is very nearsighted, I can see the individual grains, textures, pits, etc in a surface when I take off my glasses. It literally is like examining an object with a magnifying glass.

"You want to join the Super Friends? What's your power?"
"I can hold up any object and examine it as if I were holding a powerful magnifying glass!"
:?

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#28 Post by papillon »

Nope, sorry. Our eyes just don't work right. I see about as well at a distance as normal people do, I think... but maybe not even that well.

I can't find the webpage I was looking at earlier but the basic explanation is something like - farsighted people have to expend extra effort to focus on things. ALL things. The further away it is, the less extra correction it takes, and nobody expects you to see super-far-away things that well anyway, so looking at faraway things feels like it works well enough. But the closer it is, the more horrible the eyestrain of trying to see something clearly becomes, until we've got crossed eyes and squints and it's STILL fuzzy.
and when I was younger I thought it was a superpower (I wish I was kidding). I would focus and defocus on something I'm looking at and I would imagine my eye was like a telescope. Turns out constant defocusing wasn't actually normal and my eyes muscles were just having a hard time at it! hahaha!
Yeah, I can manually focus and unfocus, and my bad eye wanders around really visibly when I do it, it creeps people out. :)

Sabotage
Regular

#29 Post by Sabotage »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:
"You want to join the Super Friends? What's your power?"
"I can hold up any object and examine it as if I were holding a powerful magnifying glass!"
:?
I approve this!

HalYac17
Regular

#30 Post by HalYac17 »

Aye! Got glasses at 8 years old, and I really like them! Don't really want to get contacts/laser surgery as glasses have become a part of me and my personality (in the least weird way possible) :P Not a clue what my grades are, but I can't see anything without glasses, so they must be bad... :P