Forums running out of space?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Sed
Regular

Forums running out of space?

#1 Post by Sed »

I tried sending a PM and got the following message:

Code: Select all

Ran into problems sending Mail. Response: 452 4.3.1 Insufficient system storage

DEBUG MODE

Line : 143
File : smtp.php
My mailbox is 1% full, so maybe the server is running out of space?

mokenju1
Regular

#2 Post by mokenju1 »

Yes, it also happened to me. The PM is sent but I got this message too.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

Why does this always happen when I'm asleep. Yep, the server ran out of disk space. Not sure why yet, although I've cleaned out some space, and will find some more.

Next week, we'll be getting a bigger HDD.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#4 Post by PyTom »

Okay, the situation is that the virtual server we run on has 10,080 megs of space, and we have 323 megs free. I'm currently downloading 1.1 gigs of logs, and when they're down, I'll delete them.

The eventual solution is to get a new hard drive for the (real) server. I have that planned out for next week. That'll massively increase the amount of space we have, which should prevent this from happening.

In the mean time, I'm going to ask that the renai.us staff cease uploading for the time being, and that people use good sense when uploading attachments to the forum. A 200k image is okay, but you should hold off on uploading a 3 * 50meg game for the time being.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#5 Post by mikey »

And I was wondering why I got so many errors, makes sense now.
PyTom wrote:In the mean time, I'm going to ask that the renai.us staff cease uploading for the time being.
Sure. Whenever it's okay to upload again, just PM or announce it and I'll get back to work. :wink:
PyTom wrote:that people use good sense when uploading attachments to the forum. A 200k image is okay, but you should hold off on uploading a 3 * 50meg game for the time being.
Maybe even deleting those attachments that are already mirrored? Several of the newer games have mirrors at renai.us, as well as at visualnews, so maybe link to them instead of hosting it on the forums. The average game is now 25 MB, and x3 (versions, since most are Ren'Py) it's quite a lot.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by DaFool »

Hey guys, I took advantage of the slight speedup after the temporary downtime to update some things:

http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/Ren%27Py_Games

Congratulations to Taleweaver for making the 50th game! (just a rough count). Since mikey mirrored The Rolling Pumpkin, I figured it couldn't hurt to make the 'complete game' definition more generous (basically, to include projects when the creator doesn't update or plans an extended version which can theoretically never exist).

Creators feel free to edit things to suit their vision better (I haven't played Kinsman yet).

Although, now is a good time to lock this into Page 1 and create a new template for Page 2, but I'd like PyTom's opinion in case he has any idea regarding layout and organization.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by mikey »

DaFool wrote:Since mikey mirrored The Rolling Pumpkin, I figured it couldn't hurt to make the 'complete game' definition more generous (basically, to include projects when the creator doesn't update or plans an extended version which can theoretically never exist).
I wanted to inculde Rolling Pumpkin because in itself it was a complete story, at least the way I saw it. But of course, if there are reworked new versions or expanded versions, they can be easily included, like we did with Binary Hearts or similar.

And great work updating the Ren'Py page, I've noticed you do it regularly, and every commitment helps. :P

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#8 Post by mugenjohncel »

- CONTENT NO LONGER RELEVANT -
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by mikey »

mugenjohncel wrote:Here I uploaded high quality tilable textures for everyone to use.
Should I delete this one?... I know It's big but...
I don't think that people should now start deleting everything, in fact IIRC PyTom liked the idea of having attachments to stay. The textures are something useful, my suggestion was just to clean up a bit, and only if there is a mirror (or two).

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#10 Post by PyTom »

I wouldn't delete anything quite yet. We should be getting a new hard drive fairly soon, and when that goes in, we'll have plenty of room.

The new hard drive will lead to a huge increase in space for the forums and archive. Right now, we have 10 gigs, of which about 5 gigs is space for the OS and stuff. When we get the upgrade, we'll have at least 40 gigs, with the OS still only 5 gigs in size... so we'll go from 5 to 35 gigs of storage, a 7-fold improvement.

Nafai
Veteran
Projects: Elect: Ascendance

#11 Post by Nafai »

*whistles* Quite the upgrade. Much gratitude to Py'tom

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#12 Post by PyTom »

Okay, the new hard drive is in. I still need to move the virtual server over, and expand the space I have allocated to it... but we're most of the way there. I'll finish the job sometime tomorrow, when I'm less tired.

mutio

#13 Post by mutio »

Ahh, noticed that too late. I'd have offered you some space on our server, we have an VPS with 30GB with upgrade option to 45GB. However you've already bought an upgrade so guess this topic is done. When you need some server space in the future feel free to ask^^
http://www.visual-novels.net
Reviews and news of visual novels
Currently looking for news and review writers