Addictive TV Series?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

Re: Addictive TV Series?

#16 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Some local TV shows and the regular anime on TV. My dad has a collection of American TV shows like the Walking Dead and Sons of Anarchy and such, but I played TWD's game and I feel like it's better than the show so I never got to watch it.

I do watch the Avengers cartoon before -- the horrible Tagalog dub was pretty hard to tolerate but it was pretty neat -- but then so many superhero stuff replaced it after I missed almost every single episode over Adventure Time dubs.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#17 Post by PyTom »

Just stepping in as a forum admin to put a 1-week cap on this thread - it's interesting enough , but after a while people will just be talking to themselves in here.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

enta
Veteran
Projects: One Moment in Summer(GxB/Supernatural)

#18 Post by enta »

I'm...enjoying watching CSI and other criminal investigation series(usually American's) but since I got my job and I'm starting on Thursday, I guess, I won't be having the time to watch them again...

Ah, maybe I should really consider buying a TV recorder :?

deviltales
Regular

#19 Post by deviltales »

@enta
I feel you. Between school, family, social interaction and my part-time job, I hardly have time to breath xD.

BBC's Tudors is also good. History is just so damn enjoyable <3 !
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Ionait
Regular
Organization: Chu! Bam! Pow!

#20 Post by Ionait »

I live off of Netflix and Crunchyroll at the moment, so it's not really 'TV shows'. But I recently got addicted to Love Live! School Idol Project! It was such a calming show, so positive, not a lot of drama, and it just made me feel relaxed to watch it after a hard day. Sometimes a show like that is what I crave.

I started watching Lost Girl on Netflix and it's like a new Buffy/Xena-type of show, so I'm really enjoying it. I'm into season 2 and would be finished watching entirely if I didn't have to wait for my husband to watch with me. @_@ Sometimes agreeing to watch shows together is a paaaain!

enta
Veteran
Projects: One Moment in Summer(GxB/Supernatural)

#21 Post by enta »

deviltales wrote:@enta
I feel you. Between school, family, social interaction and my part-time job, I hardly have time to breath xD.
Oh... a comrade!

To be specific, I'm watching NCIS and I really like it and thankfully, I found out that FOX(the CS channel I'm watching it at) re-airs it at 11pm. I go home at 10 so it's just so perfect <3

vividXP
Regular
Projects: "Almost There" (NanoReno '14)

#22 Post by vividXP »

Scandal, Scandal, Scandal. The only show that I have to watch live or else I can't risk going on the internet until I do. :P
vividxp.tumblr.com
Wọn ṣe bí òtòṣì ò gbọn bí ọlọrò; wón ní ì bá gbón ì bá lówó lọwọ / People think the poor person lacks the wisdom the wealthy person has; they say if one had wisdom, one would be rich

coffin-tan

#23 Post by coffin-tan »

Sherlock Holmes series, the one with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman! :D
I must say, I like the modern day setting.

OwlFeather
Projects: Transcension (WIP)

#24 Post by OwlFeather »

Hmm... Lemme see... : Merlin, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Grimm, Emily Owens M.D., Hart of Dixie, and Naruto (Before he went all toad-sage) My #1 show to watch would have to be Grimm though :P

leevs

#25 Post by leevs »

Wow guys thanks for the recommendations, I am looking up some of your choices just now.
So I think Heroes, Supernatural, Psych, The Walking Dead, The Haunting Hour, and Monk have been my faves in the past few years. I also like historical documentation thingy like Ancient Aliens, and old series like The X Files, Friday The 13th, and Goosebumps.

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#26 Post by Katy133 »

I highly recommend:
  • BBC's Mulberry - (My favourite tv series ever.) A dark comedy about mysterious-but-goofy guy (Mulberry) who gets hired by a grumpy, elderly woman to work in her mansion as her manservant. He tries to get her to live life to the fullest (much to her annoyance), but it soon becomes apparent that there's more to Mulberry than he appears. Miss Farnaby's other staff, Bert and Alice Finch, are immediately suspicious, as the position for which Mulberry applies had not yet been advertised. Mulberry is also continually followed by a mysterious, darkly-dressed stranger. It's really funny, and even though it's a dark comedy, it's got really heartfelt, bittersweet moments throughout.
  • Jeeves & Wooster - Set in the 1930s, a young, rich aristocrat (Bertie Wooster) is trying to stay single. Unfortunately, he constantly gets accidentally engaged to different women, much to his horror (long story, lol). Fortunately, his super-intelligent butler/valet (Jeeves) is able to come up with elaborate plans to keep Bertie single. It's got hilarious 1930s language throughout, and if you've never seen it, I highly recommend you check it out.
  • BBC's Merlin - In an alternate universe, Merlin is the same age as Prince Arthur (both teens), and Merlin works as Arthur's manservant. Unfortunately, that's a difficult job, since 1) Assassins and monsters are constantly trying to kill Arthur, and 2) Merlin is secretly a sorcerer in a kingdom where magic is outlawed on penalty of death. It's a great monster-of-the-week type series.
  • BBC's Atlantis - Made by some of the co-writers of Merlin. It has a similar formula, but with a Greek mythology twist: Jason, Hercules, and Pythagoras are friends and fight monsters together.
  • EDIT: Also, Dirk Gently. - Either the BBC version or the BBC America version. Both are good.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

SilverHyena
Veteran
Completed: Sacred Sand (BxB), Mira's Magical Mishap (GxG), Ben and the Devil, Cute Demon Crashers (GxB/G) (18+), Heirs and Graces (BxB), My Magical Divorce Bureau (AllxAll), Essence Hunt (BxB)
Deviantart: http://silverhyena.d
itch: https://silverhyena.

#27 Post by SilverHyena »

Ooh. Everyone's listing such good shows. (It makes me want to rewatch them all... :shock: )

But, I'm just going to put this out there:

Black Sails = Best Show

Ripper Street is also criminally underappreciated.

(Also, to anyone who watches the Walking Dead... Have you checked out Fear the Walking Dead lately? Season 3 was freaking phenomenal.)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#28 Post by PyTom »

Locked, since there was a 1-week cap on this thread, and it's off-topic.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom