Good free software to make Let's Play videos like stuff?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

Good free software to make Let's Play videos like stuff?

#1 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Soo...

I am looking for a screencapturing program that is free and actually works. I tried CamStudio but it didn't work, it kept erroring out.

I'm looking for a free one that can record not just video but also SOUND that is happening in the game. I don't care if it cannot record from my mic because I have audacity if worst comes to worst. But I really want to record a playthrough of some of my favorite visual novels and read them, and so capturing sound is important since music adds to the feel for games.

Can anyone recommend me some good software to use?

(NOTE: I have Windows Vista 32-bit)
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

Re: Good free software to make Let's Play videos like stuff?

#2 Post by Kato »

Hmm... 'Free' is the hard bit I'm afraid! From memory there is a trial version of Webcam Video Capture 7 that records the screen fairly well, without watermarks. I've always tried to stay away from free software as a rule (No, I really don't want to add a toolbar and change my default search engine to bing!) so ever since I bought Fraps I stopped looking so there could be hundreds more by now! Sorry I couldn't be of better help!
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

Ionait
Regular
Organization: Chu! Bam! Pow!

#3 Post by Ionait »

The only other screen recording software I have found other than those already named is not really for games. NCH makes a series of products, one being a screen recorder which I have used before for drawings and stuff with positive results, including capture of the sound on the computer. But that was only a 30 day free trial or something I think.

I can't think of any decent free ones, or any free ones that exist at all really. Fraps has a free version but that's more helpful for screenshots than capturing video.

I know as soon as I said this, the world will erupt with "they said FREE in the OP," but really, I think Fraps was, like, 30 USD when I bought it. And the NCH recording software also goes on sale for 30 USD or lower. I understand that any amount of money is a lot of money for some (it is for me, believe me, I think for months over any purchase over 20 bucks), but it is worth it. Fraps is super handy and compared to other programs is so much cheaper. So if you can save for a bit or even ask for donations, that is the route I would go.

In fact, that is the route I had to go. I searched for a long time very recently for this kind of thing and came up short on anything useful other than Fraps.

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more

#4 Post by Kokoro Hane »

The problem is, unless I can buy it packaged, then...because I have not debit, credit, or PayPal. If there's a version on Amazon to buy of some sort of screencapture, than I don't mind forking out some money.
PROJECTS:
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

Owl City "Galaxies"

DeeKay
Veteran

#5 Post by DeeKay »

Actually, you can use Open Broadcaster Software (it's an alternative to XSplit if you know it). It's originally meant for streaming, but you can also record directly to a file should you wish for it : http://obsproject.com/
Open source and free, what more could you ask for ? :)

To give you a quick rundown, you set the base resolution of your video then you setup a scene and add sources for it. The layout works like layers in image editing software, sources on top cover sources below. You have to preview your scene to move things around first though.

For example, you could center the game on the screen and put a background image below it. While you play, you could show an image or a slideshow in front of your game without needing to do post production stuff. Heck, you can even show your browser if you need it !

I've actually tried it yesterday and posted a 1h35mn long video if you want to check the quality (Hope~ demo, link in my sig).
I know.. shameless advertisement.. sorry :?
I didn't do any post production on it, if you're curious.

Anyway, let me know if you have questions about the settings but they should be straightforward enough to get you started.

Edit :
- At this time, only compatible with Windows Vista and 7 (both 32 and 64 bit versions).
- You can capture a specific window (with the choice of inner window or with the outer frame), a screen region or a whole screen. Scale this with whatever number of sources you need to plan out.
- Files saved are in mp4 format, using the x264 encoder.
- By the way, I'm using the latest experimental build and it's never crashed on me.
Last edited by DeeKay on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
-- No longer active --
-- English/French Translation topic here
-- Hope~ - Symphony of Tomorrow alpha demo playthrough here (1h35mn long video !)

-- Current avatar by SilverHyena => her DA account

-- Check out this project if you have some time !

ebi brain
Regular
Organization: Zettai Rookie Project

#6 Post by ebi brain »

BB Flashback Express (free), I tried it last year and it was pretty good.

It only records, you can't edit stuff afterward, for that you need BB Flashback Standard ( not free), but if that isn't a concern, it's pretty decent :)
Since I have our site RSI, I used speech recognition by, sometimes this means I'll make some mistakes. :D

My sketchbook - Come yell at me :D

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by SusanTheCat »

ebi brain wrote:BB Flashback Express (free), I tried it last year and it was pretty good.

It only records, you can't edit stuff afterward, for that you need BB Flashback Standard ( not free), but if that isn't a concern, it's pretty decent :)
I used that and then edited it in Windows Movie Maker.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Hmm...I shall check those 2 out~
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"