New to VN and curious about what's frowned upon around here.

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Brendan

New to VN and curious about what's frowned upon around here.

#1 Post by Brendan »

Well, I just made my first story, and it's pretty short without any original art or backgrounds. I know that there's no way to sell the game, but do people frown upon that stuff? For the sprites, I found some dress up games online (pretty lame, I know) and I dressed them up and cut the background away. Is there anything I should know before putting anything up here for review? Thanks guys!

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

Re: New to VN and curious about what's frowned upon around h

#2 Post by Haze »

Before you put it here for review, I advise you to credit all the resources you used and check to see if you can use those dress up games for things like a game. Maybe you can email or message the makers of those dress up games.

If you want to use some other free resources, there are plenty in the Creative Commons section.

Good luck in releasing your game!
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

Brendan

#3 Post by Brendan »

I'll do both of those before I post anything!

Oh, I didn't spot that when I signed up. That's definitely gonna be help. Thanks for the advice :)

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#4 Post by SundownKid »

Try to make all sprites, BG's and music be from the same respective artists or of similar styles. Using sprites from two or more different artists will look bad, similar for using non-matching backgrounds (though a bit less so).

If you are a good enough writer, you might be able to get an artist to do sprites for you after you finish and post the game.

Brendan

#5 Post by Brendan »

Heh, I noticed that at first and had to find all new sprites that looked similar. For backgrounds I've been using pictures from Google >_< '

Oh, that would be fantastic. If my friend who's an artist can't do it, I'll try that option!

enta
Veteran
Projects: One Moment in Summer(GxB/Supernatural)

#6 Post by enta »

"Using images from google"

This means you are using images that might be copyrighted and god knows who to credit. I suggest looking for BGs or images you'll use in your game in a certain site that really allows people to use their images than snagging stuff from your search engine results.

Brendan

#7 Post by Brendan »

Looks like my story's getting a ton of remodeling, lol. But thank you for that! I completely forgot about images on Google being copyrighted.

JumpJump
Veteran
Projects: 9413
Organization: 2wo dollars

#8 Post by JumpJump »

enta wrote:"Using images from google"

This means you are using images that might be copyrighted and god knows who to credit. I suggest looking for BGs or images you'll use in your game in a certain site that really allows people to use their images than snagging stuff from your search engine results.
Some people can be very vicious when it comes to copyright and trademark, downright petty at times. When in doubt, through it out.
"You are the master of understatement, chief. You had a foursome with the Elephant Man and a couple of foreign princesses. I'd head on out before the paparazzi arrive, if I were you." - Barry the time travelling sprout

Old and new, whatever you want. All is here.

Boomsickle
Regular
Completed: Victorian Olives

#9 Post by Boomsickle »

Lolis are frowned upon and talking about 18+ in non 18+ areas in frowned upon but its okay they just dont know that lolis are a mans romance.

pwisaguacate
Veteran

#10 Post by pwisaguacate »

W-what do you mean no lolis?!
Boomsickle wrote:...they just dont know that lolis are a mans romance.
Dammit, I'm not like that, lol.

Back on topic: you pretty much just have to make sure the resources that you use can be used and follow any basic rules attached to each particular resource (e.g. no altering the content, etc.).
Attachments
sample-385c318a9ba3af11f0ec33f298a21ff4.jpg

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by DaFool »

Longtime member here. Crap art, clipart art, even crap writing are tolerated here. We're very forgiving since everyone has to start somewhere. But definitely absolutely DO NOT EVER

1.) stuff random songs, art, from places which specifically do not give you the license to do so. Famous copyrighted songs are especially bad. Sprites ripped from existing games are a no-no unless it's a fangame of the same franchise.
2.) forget to credit all your sources.

Everything else, the sky's the limit. Good luck!

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#12 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Pretty much what DaFool said. As long as you have permission to use the resources, you're gold. People generally keep in mind the experience of devs when checking out games, so if you ask for constructive criticism, it'll be a lot softer than for the people who have been developing games for many years. Generally the atmosphere in this forum is very supportive, regardless of other people's skills or experience.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#13 Post by Blue Lemma »

As said above, put in a good effort, make sure you have the right permissions for art/music/etc., obey the forum rules, and you'll probably be good :)

And be open to constructive criticism ;)

Don't worry about making the BESTEST GAME EVAR. Just do things the right way and be willing to grow.
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )