Looking for a visual novel, forgot the name

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Hannibal0

Looking for a visual novel, forgot the name

#1 Post by Hannibal0 »

Hey guys,

I registered here because you are my last hope.
I am looking for a visual novel (or sound novel, IÄm not sure about that) I played about 4 years ago. It had a german translation, and you were merely just deciding between 2-3 optins on a few points inside the story. The rest wwas just reading parts.

To the story: It was about a male young student who visited a school and took part inside a music club. He had a female friend, I think it was his neighbour, who followed him all around since childhood, and a cool male friend. The boy lost his hand through a crash with a train one evening and got an artificial hand. You had the choice to get together with different girls (nothing erotic or non-suitable for kids), one of them was in your school and had long purple hair, another one was in your music club and played triangle.

That's all I can remember right now. Please, if anyone knows the name, than help me. I would be very grateful!

Have a nice evening,
Hannibal0

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Looking for a visual novel, forgot the name

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

Hannibal0, it sounds like you're thinking of Brass Restoration. Its VNDB entry does not mention a German translation, but everything else seems to match...

Brass Restoration is freeware. If the download links on its Yandere Translations page don't work, be sure to say so.

Hannibal0

#3 Post by Hannibal0 »

Wow, that worked out better than I thought O.o I ghoogled for this for the last 2 weeks, and now you give me the answer in about 1h.
Yes, it is the right game indeed! I dunno why there is no german translation but thats fine, english works out very well too.

Recently I got my hands on all the Phoenix Wright games, so now I'm into visual novels. Thanks for helping me out, I really appreciate it! :D
Maybe you could tell me about a few other good free visual/sound novels...? :wink:

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

Hannibal0 wrote:Maybe you could tell me about a few other good free visual/sound novels...? :wink:
Thanks for replying. The /vg/ Guide to Visual Novels (image might take a moment to load) will give you an overview of VNs that fans recommend. Keep in mind that most of what they mention are commercial products. They're a mix of official and fan translations, and just one was written in English. Only three are freeware. A few have only partial translation patches, and a couple are still slated for commercial release.

If you are looking for more freeware or VNs written in English, then look for a recommendations thread elsewhere on this forum. I'm pretty sure one has been created here on LSF in the recent past. But if you want to find something really specific in this small fandom, then tell us the sort of story or game you really want to find.

Hannibal0

#5 Post by Hannibal0 »

Alright, I will keep an eye on the forums and search for the recommendation-thread. Thanks for your help!

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#6 Post by Blue Lemma »

As soon as I saw the title of the thread, I knew gekiganwing would have the answer ;)

I played a little bit of BR but it didn't grab me, personally. Or I think maybe I got to and end pretty quickly which made no sense (wait, is that it?) Maybe I have my games mixed up.
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#7 Post by Taleweaver »

Blue Lemma wrote:I played a little bit of BR but it didn't grab me, personally.
I can relate to that. I also played BR after reading all the praise it got, and honestly, I have no idea why it is considered so special. None of the characters were particularly memorable, and the plot was rather generic drama masquerading as RomCom during the first half-hour of the game (before the accident). Most aggravating, though, was that the protagonist's injury and subsequent disability served as a mere plot device. I found that incredibly insensitive to real-life amputees, who often enough become social outcasts - especially in Asian cultures where it is still common to avoid people with physical imperfections.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#8 Post by Kato »

Taleweaver wrote:
Blue Lemma wrote:I played a little bit of BR but it didn't grab me, personally.
I can relate to that. I also played BR after reading all the praise it got, and honestly, I have no idea why it is considered so special. None of the characters were particularly memorable, and the plot was rather generic drama masquerading as RomCom during the first half-hour of the game (before the accident). Most aggravating, though, was that the protagonist's injury and subsequent disability served as a mere plot device. I found that incredibly insensitive to real-life amputees, who often enough become social outcasts - especially in Asian cultures where it is still common to avoid people with physical imperfections.
I actually grabbed it shortly after this thread came up. Come 2 days later I've still not managed to get invested in it. Perhaps if there was more character development before the accident? I dunno, it's just feels terribly impersonal to me...
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

#9 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Seeing that this isn't the first thread asking for the name of a vn someone's played before, should we make this one (or another thread in a different part of the forum) an official "vn rediscovery" thread? (If that makes any sense) I know there isn't tons of people asking thankfully, but you never know when another person is going to ask again.

Anyway, it's good that you were able to quickly get your answer.
ImageImageImageImage

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#10 Post by Blue Lemma »

@Sunlit-Dreamer: Yeah, this stuff does come up once in a while... "Name that VN"? :D
I'm not sure how we'd get new people to post in the correct thread, though.

We can just put in FAQ: "Direct all VN identification questions to gekiganwing" ;D
(jk, jk)
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#11 Post by Taleweaver »

We could sticky that thread, though I would place it in the "Other Story-Based Games" forum then. Y'know, as soon as another thread pops up.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira