Server Status - 2013-05-11

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Server Status - 2013-05-11

#1 Post by PyTom »

The problems LSF has been having for the past few weeks have hopefully been fixed.

The underlying cause was a RAM chip that went bad. (Also - due to me not knowing better - we're using desktop-class components, so we don't have error correction). This corrupted a row in the topics table of the Katawa Shoujo Forums database, which caused postgres to crash with some frequency. The forum would be down for about a minute each time a crash occurred.

After tracking down the problem, which was a hardish task, I fixed the KS database. I then ordered a new set of (still-non-ECC) dimms to be sent to the data center. Once those DIMMS reached the data center, the staff there shut down our server to install them. I ran a memory test overnight, so I'm cautiously optimistic that the problem is solved for the time being.

At some point I will be replacing this server with a superior one. At that time, I may try to do some sort of crowdfunding so we can get server-grade hardware, which is significantly more expensive.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

DeeKay
Veteran

Re: Server Status - 2013-05-11

#2 Post by DeeKay »

Good news ! It seemed like the crashes were frequent these past days, or was I imagining things ? ^^'
PyTom wrote:At some point I will be replacing this server with a superior one. At that time, I may try to do some sort of crowdfunding so we can get server-grade hardware, which is significantly more expensive.
You can definitely count me in for a little contribution when that time comes ! Nothing beats a good old server in a rack :wink:
-- No longer active --
-- English/French Translation topic here
-- Hope~ - Symphony of Tomorrow alpha demo playthrough here (1h35mn long video !)

-- Current avatar by SilverHyena => her DA account

-- Check out this project if you have some time !

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#3 Post by Sapphi »

Yay!
DeeKay wrote:
PyTom wrote:At some point I will be replacing this server with a superior one. At that time, I may try to do some sort of crowdfunding so we can get server-grade hardware, which is significantly more expensive.
You can definitely count me in for a little contribution when that time comes ! Nothing beats a good old server in a rack :wink:
Yes, I think I'll have to chip in too... once you live somewhere long enough you start feeling like you should probably be helping to pay for utilities :wink:
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#4 Post by Blue Lemma »

Sapphi wrote:Yes, I think I'll have to chip in too... once you live somewhere long enough you start feeling like you should probably be helping to pay for utilities :wink:
Chipping in for chips! :D

Count me in too, of course!

I haven't had issues with the forum for the last couple days, so I hope everything's fixed ^^
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#5 Post by Obscura »

I'll contribute, whether you crowdfund or just open a paypal or something for donations. :)
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#6 Post by Kato »

Yeah, I feel I owe to forum too much NOT to contribute a lil ;) I'm in!
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds