First VN game you have played

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: My Teacher; Songs of Araiah; Something new; Possible Cross Bomber?

First VN game you have played

#1 Post by Enerccio »

I started with X-change 3.
What about you?
http://www.bishojo.tk is technically ONLINE!
Songs of Araiah promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CalchucuoDU

GorillaKick
Regular

#2 Post by GorillaKick »

My first VN was Tsukihime, back when it was new! :O
If liars make promises, then I'm a master craftsman.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by DaFool »

X-Change 2 :D

Hime
Veteran
Projects: Project Nattsu, Take Rena Home

#4 Post by Hime »

At first I was playing the originally Japanese, translated KNs such as Narcissu and Red Shift. Another of those was my first, I'm not totally sure which one... Maybe Red Shift. And my first VN was a fan-made one. The first that I played at all was probably Tales of Lemma 1, but I died and since you can't save in that game (I think?) I got kind of frustrated at the fact that I would have to play it all again, and so I didn't play ToL1 through in a long time. So ToL was the first that I played at all, but I think the first one that I actually played through was Alessio's Go, Magical Boy!. I liked it, so I kept on playing OEL VNs: Some of my other first VNs were Abigail, O3 and My Teacher, I think. :)

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#5 Post by DrakeNavarone »

I don't quite remember my first vn. It might've been a fan game, or one of the insani translated games. But I do remember which game was my first commercial one, Crescendo. It certainly wasn't a bad place to start.
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#6 Post by mugenjohncel »

- CONTENT NO LONGER RELEVANT -
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#7 Post by PyTom »

After playing a few of the various simdate type games, the first real VN I played was Tales of Lemma 1. It inspired me to get in to the genre, picking up a number of the commercial games (Including Kana, Crescendo, Heart de Roomate, and Private Nurse). After that, I wrote Ren'Py in about a week, proceeded to forget about it for a few months, picked it up again... and the rest is history.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by EwanG »

First VN was "The Sagara Family". Because it's an H that actually has a story line and some character development. Not to mention it was at least "somewhat believable" as far as the setup went.

Ignosco
Veteran

#9 Post by Ignosco »

TOL 1, if it hadn't been for the "Ren'Ai" article at wikipedia which I came upon by chance one night at the end of 2006, (probably when I was looking for games with strong romantic elements in them :oops:, after realising that was the main reason why I enjoyed playing eg BG2 or various NWN modules). Without that article I might never have found out about Visual Novels (or in particular the OELVN scene - even if I did hear about commerical VN's, I probably wouldn't have bought one without knowing what it was like to 'play' them)... I think the wikipedia article mentioned TOL 1 and NaNoRenO 2005 (probably someone from this community wrote it :? ).

Unfortunately that article seems to have been merged into "Dating Sim" now, and the section on the OELVN scene has been removed :(.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by monele »

I think it was True Love... But I know Paradise Heights wasn't far, as were Nocturnal Illusions and Gloria.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#11 Post by lordcloudx »

Fatal Relations and May Club also, the games that monele mentioned (and all the other ones you could download with the voices ripped) I also played tales of lemma 1 about a year before I decided to use ren'py
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#12 Post by chronoluminaire »

The actual first VN I played was Three Sisters' Story. Which is an excellent game and all, but utterly pales next to the next one I played, Season of the Sakura, which showed me how involving and romantic these games can be :)
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#13 Post by Blue Lemma »

PyTom wrote:After playing a few of the various simdate type games, the first real VN I played was Tales of Lemma 1. It inspired me to get in to the genre, picking up a number of the commercial games
Wow, I never knew that! :lol: And you think you know a guy... :P

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by DaFool »

A good example of how Lemma changed the world with a 15-minute game :D

There is still a good opportunity to make more pioneering projects.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#15 Post by mikey »

My first was Season Of The Sakura.

I know, I know - I'm a lucky guy, there is hardly a game better suited for the newcomer.