Brazilian creepypasta?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

Brazilian creepypasta?

#1 Post by Victoria Jennings »

I was on the creepypasta wiki (because clearly I want to see what it feels like to be deprived of sleep for a month), and I found this. I can't read Portuguese, so I was wondering if anyone's interested in translating it for me? It might actually help contribute a little something to my game!

azuki_beans

Re: Brazilian creepypasta?

#2 Post by azuki_beans »

A bizarre and intriguing event happened in my city in the middle of the year of 1995. Here in Brazil, even though there were many houses with television, it was quite common for most families to have a radio to listen to the radio stations and sometimes to the news.
However,in my area, my friends and I used to look for pirate radio stations. Usually the sound had an awful quality and the conversations were mostly about equipments or how to broadcast radio.
However there were some radio stations that were more "underground" that played hard rock; they were rare, though, and had an awful sound quality. Nonetheless, our favorite pirate radio station was "O Espaço da Fé" (faith space?)

It was an evangelical program that didn't have a determined time. In this program, the host, who must've been a pastor or something like that, spoke with his nervous and accusatory voice about satanic pacts of celebrities. Some of my youngest friends believed in what he said, but me and another one, who were the eldest, laughed at the innocence of our friends. This dude (the host) would play some songs backwards and claim that the weird noises were sentences. Each one of us normally would have an idea of what the noise should mean and the host would say that he could clearly hear another sentence in the song, which usually never matched ours.

As time went by, we started to play the game of who could guess what the host was listening to. Some months later, we found out the radio frequency in which he had started a new program, something lighter, a program in which people who were- or pretended that they were- desperate called to this man asking counselling or help. The problems went from a missing kitty (we laughed a lot at the cliché) to the extreme of a son who had been shot by twelve guys, but was still alive. So, with his imponent and intimidating voice, the pastor would say that the unfortunate person needed to accept Jesus in his life or else the devil would have the right to make things even worse.

Some weeks later, people started to call and thank the pastor, saying that a miracle had happened - and this miracle was usually something very extreme, like being cured from Aids(at that time we didn't even know what it was), recover fertility (some dude with an old voice said these exact words), and other weird things that I can't recall.

Around the half of the next year, the pastor started to perform exorcism by telephone. Listening to some people kind of crying (or pretending to) who were asking to be exorcized, I'd laugh because it was more like a comedy program than anything serious... However, there was a night that after the pastor had promised a job to a woman if she converted ( the woman had a funny voice), a girl who was between 15 to 17 (guessing by her voice) called him. Well, the dialogue was more or less like this:

Girl: Good night, sir

Pastor: Good night, daughter of God

Girl: All of us are.

Pastor: But what are you looking for here, my girl? What is troubling you?

Girl: There are some people who have been spreading some lies about me and about my family.. I feel persecuted..

Pastor: Daughter, accept Jesus and he will perform a miracle in your life.

Girl: People will still blame me, anyways.. they won't take the responsibility for their actions.. And there are still some people that promote it.

Pastor: The impure who does this will pay for it.
(some strange noises and interference started being made in the girl's phone)

Girl: The evil will take these people to pay for their crimes.

Pastor: Who doesn't have the Lord's pity in their hearts will feel the wrath of the evil flames

Girl: Wrath could also be considered----

Pastor: Anyone who uses lies in their own interest will be punished.

(The interferences started to get louder when he affirmed the punishment for the second time. We started to hear voices. My friends and I felt something strange.)

Girl: So all of the lies you said about other people give me the right to take you to your place. You spread hatred in every single way, but your lies don't work as well as they did before. Besides defying me...

Pastor: Girl, stop with this joke.

The girl's voice got deeper, not to the point of sounding like a pig, but something more macabre that sounded like a demon. I don't recall what she said, I only know that after that a sound of fire started, followed by louder noises to the point that I was almost sure that they were voices, but couldn't make out what was being said. The radio station crashed. One month later the station came back with a new host who didn't even mention what had happened with the previous one.

Here it is-- my translation ^^' I tried reaaaally hard, but my English isn't really that good, so I'm sorry :3..

Aines445
Regular

#3 Post by Aines445 »

azuki_beans wrote: Here it is-- my translation ^^' I tried reaaaally hard, but my English isn't really that good, so I'm sorry :3..
Damn, I was gonna translate too but I guess you beat me to it! XD You did a good job, I think I would've been worse at translating (Brazillian confuses me, I mean I know it's portuguese, but in Brazil their grammar works differently, I guess <.<).Maybe O espaço da Fé could be "The place of faith"? "A place of Faith"? It would be stretching it a bit, I guess...But since espaço has a more "space-ish" feeling to it, it's hard to put it in better words in english. And your english was pretty good too, so no worries ^-^

But wow, that sure was creepy (Hence it being creepypasta? It's not a term I'm familiar with I guess).

Viniciuskk
Regular
Projects: Spring Breeze
Organization: Homeroom Interactive

#4 Post by Viniciuskk »

Uhh... The girl was the Devil or something...? Aaand the priest was spreading lies about the Devil, so he punished him? Is that it? I'm not sure I understood it.

Btw, yo Aines :P

EDIT: Oh, yes. now I get it. The priest was a charlatan and was punished. :>

EDIT 2: I read the "no sleep for a month" article. I must say that it's a nice horror story and all, but I hope you don't believe it's veridical. Still, the ending was very nice. I liked it :3

azuki_beans

#5 Post by azuki_beans »

Aines445 wrote: Damn, I was gonna translate too but I guess you beat me to it! XD You did a good job, I think I would've been worse at translating (Brazillian confuses me, I mean I know it's portuguese, but in Brazil their grammar works differently, I guess <.<).Maybe O espaço da Fé could be "The place of faith"? "A place of Faith"? It would be stretching it a bit, I guess...But since espaço has a more "space-ish" feeling to it, it's hard to put it in better words in english. And your english was pretty good too, so no worries ^-^

But wow, that sure was creepy (Hence it being creepypasta? It's not a term I'm familiar with I guess).
[/quote]

Awww thanks :) !! Brazilian Portuguese is quite different, so I know what you mean :P I, sometimes, get confused when reading European Portuguese XD
I couldn't have found a better translation for O Espaço da Fé myself XD .I don't know why, though, but O espaço da Fé sounds more like "The place of Faith" to me than "A place of Faith" (maybe because "O" is a definite article :/ ).Buuuuut you're right, it's kinda hard to translate "O espaço da Fé" since it kinda has this space-ish feeling to it. :3

(&that was creepy indeed @_@ )
Last edited by azuki_beans on Mon May 27, 2013 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Victoria Jennings »

Oh, thanks! This'll definitely be useful. C:

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#7 Post by Donmai »

In Brazilian Portuguese, a title like "Espaço da Fé", when used on radio or television, does not refer to a physical space, but to the time (a "space" between a program and another) dedicated to discuss some matter (in this case the faith). I believe azuki_beans translation is accurate.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)