Mnemonics vocab builder

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
kugel1

Mnemonics vocab builder

#1 Post by kugel1 »

For a hobby I think it would be fun to construct a program with the purpose of vocab learning via mnemonics. If anyone is familiar with 200-words-day you would see a good example of something I wish emulate, although I think I will opt for the photos instead of cartoons.

I'm thinking that the program would run something like this: show the English word and the word you want to learn in the top left hand corner of the screen.

distance

die Entferung

Then on the right hand of the screen you would have the mnemonic and sentence examples. In the top right hand corner of the screen is where you type in your answer before moving on to the next word, or in other words, kinesthetic learning. On the remaining space on the left side of the screen I would have the picture. So in this case with die Entferung I would have a giant fern at the end of the road with a nun.

After some 20-30 words are done, I would have the program test the user by asking to type in the foreign word when the English word appears on the screen.

My immediate goal is to do this all with Latin vocab, covering all the vocab from a textbook I'm using. My long term goal would be covering all the vocab in a certain popular Latin epic or love poetry.

Is Renpy the right program to use? I'm not a programmer, so I will be learning from scratch. My last computer class was in 10th grade, and that was 7 years ago.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#2 Post by DaFool »

I think Ren'Py can do that. Although I'm not an expert in user input functions... but for simple strings using letters from the english alphabet, it should work as planned.