Which one is cooler? WW2 or present day weapons?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: Which one is cooler? WW2 or present day weapons?

#16 Post by SundownKid »

I would say that the usage of modern weaponry makes more sense in that setting, since there would be more of it lying around. Unless it's an alternate history like the game Resistance: Fall of Man in which they are all using WW2 technology.

You should also look at Metro 2033, and the piecemeal weapons they use, your story sounds similar.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#17 Post by LVUER »

SundownKid wrote:I would say that the usage of modern weaponry makes more sense in that setting, since there would be more of it lying around. Unless it's an alternate history like the game Resistance: Fall of Man in which they are all using WW2 technology.

You should also look at Metro 2033, and the piecemeal weapons they use, your story sounds similar.
After lot of thinking and imagining the scenario, indeed that present weapon sounds better (WW2 weapons aren't build with CQB in mind, heck, most of them are still improvised WW1 weapons). And with the absence of tanks and artillery, WW2 weapons don't pack enough punch to kill the aliens. Still, WW2 weapons are somewhat cooler, especially the Sherman. Imagine Strike Witches with M4 or Tavor... not cool.

In my manga, humanity have their way to produce weapons even in their current state (they can build almost whatever, tanks, jets, even robots). So all the weapons are not lying around. But there are reasons why they can't build it en masse or use it to turn the tides. But I can't say it or it will be major spoiler.

And no, this is not steampunk or anything like that. It's a bit sci-fi but definitely not fantasy or steampunk.

Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light (or 2034). I know that. Only the video game though (from there I know the novel, but can't read it since it's not published in my country).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Delta m.m
Regular

#18 Post by Delta m.m »

SundownKid wrote:In my manga, humanity have their way to produce weapons even in their current state (they can build almost whatever, tanks, jets, even robots). So all the weapons are not lying around. But there are reasons why they can't build it en masse or use it to turn the tides. But I can't say it or it will be major spoiler.
if people can't produce weapons on mass and are trapped underground I think it's a matter of time before they are forced to use all kinds of weapons they can lay their hands on.

so why not have them all?
one guy carrying a P-90 and the other is carrying a pipe turned into a single-action shotgun :D

but I think it's related to how long humans remained trapped, at first it's all modern weapons, maybe a year later they'll start searching for older "retired of service" weapons, a few more years and they'll start using "Human Creativity", and makeshift weapons will start appearing (as SundownKid mentioned some weapons like those in Metro might be good, they give that feeling of "Struggling to Survive"), and they might start scavenging what ever they can from the aliens (a hacked drone arm might somehow become a rifle) so in the end you'll find all weapons.

probably more important people and the "higher ranks" will have better weapons.

but if they have the ability to make tanks and jets underground maybe they should research the alien weapons and try duplicating it.

now for a straight answer to your question, personally I like WW2 weapons more, they have some kind of personality while modern weapons feel so blank, although I would not prefer them over modern weapons in a real battle :)

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#19 Post by dramspringfeald »

It'll depend. what do you need them to do? What will their part be in the story? Which stage of WW2 tech? WHO'S Tech? How much do you know of either side of the wars? How much do you know about the guns at either time? Remember Guns are every bit of a character in their stories as their users.

Remember in WW2 standard soldiers were being handed out 1909 Rifles and other 50 to 100 year old guns THEN. Cowards used full auto, the Germans loved full auto.
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#20 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

LVUER wrote: I just want to know if people would prefer to see WW2 weapons or present days weapons?

M4 with M203 attachment and SAW sure is cool. Taking down enemy robot with LAW is always satisfying. But sometimes, it's also nostalgic (and cool) to see M1 or Bren.
We'll I've used the modern weapons professionally when I was in the Marines. The M203 simultaneously was the coolest thing ever (I still get goosebumps remembering how it felt to "hear" the "KA-THUNK" sound it made when it fired reverberating in your chest) and the most terrifying, because you are shooting 40mm grenades, and it jammed one too many times for comfort. I don't think it needs to be said, but you never want a grenade launcher jamming. And I'm biased towards the M16A2, just by benefit of sleeping/existing with one as an extension of myself for so long.

All that said, I had the opportunity to use the M1 Garand and it felt amazing. It just felt more solid (wood versus plastic). And I love a bolt-action rifle. There is just something about having to make sure each shot counts due to the time it takes to prepare to fire again. More substantial kick than the A2 as well. So aesthetically, I like the M1 better.

Oh, and I don't really like the M249. It might LOOK cool, but the damn thing is heavy, temperamental, (my fireteam's SAW was nicknamed 'Click'), and I disliked having to carry an extra barrel and drums for the thing. Not to mention the fact you had to go prone to use it with any kind of effectiveness. And I can't count how many times I pinched a finger or smashed one reloading a belt in hurry. :roll: The rounds aren't any more effective coming from it than the A2 (they are, in fact, the same rounds), there are just more of them at once. No thanks.
dramspringfeald wrote:Remember in WW2 standard soldiers were being handed out 1909 Rifles and other 50 to 100 year old guns THEN. Cowards used full auto, the Germans loved full auto.
And the military is still using 50 year old rifles. Or older. My A2 saw action in Vietnam. And again in the second Desert Storm. A good weapon is a good weapon, and properly cared for will last a long time.

And no soldier worth their salt ever uses full auto. There is never ANY cause for it. Not even when you absolutely, positively, must kill every motherf'er in the room. (Thanks, Samuel L.!) It wastes ammo and the only shot that is accurate is the first one. A professional soldier or Marine is trained to react quickly and put shots on target. Not one person's A2 in my squad every left the "semi-automatic single shot" setting. No burst fire. And DEFINITELY no full auto.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#21 Post by LVUER »

I know some WW2 technology (and present day too). Not that I've used them. I just watch and read about them a lot. I'm kind of military maniac (moe girls + big guns = awesome). But most of them are from US side. I know some Germans and Soviets, but not much. I even don't know much about NATO/UK weaponry. But US technology is all I need to draw a manga (at least this one).
LateWhiteRabbit wrote:We'll I've used the modern weapons professionally when I was in the Marines. The M203 simultaneously was the coolest thing ever (I still get goosebumps remembering how it felt to "hear" the "KA-THUNK" sound it made when it fired reverberating in your chest) and the most terrifying, because you are shooting 40mm grenades, and it jammed one too many times for comfort. I don't think it needs to be said, but you never want a grenade launcher jamming.
You read my mind. I think grenade launcher attachment is the best idea ever (for an attachment), aside from reflex sight and scope. No need to cower in fear when that truck (with machinegun) shows up. Just aim your rifle and let the 40mm grenade do the talking.
LateWhiteRabbit wrote:
dramspringfeald wrote:Remember in WW2 standard soldiers were being handed out 1909 Rifles and other 50 to 100 year old guns THEN. Cowards used full auto, the Germans loved full auto.
And the military is still using 50 year old rifles. Or older. My A2 saw action in Vietnam. And again in the second Desert Storm. A good weapon is a good weapon, and properly cared for will last a long time.

And no soldier worth their salt ever uses full auto. There is never ANY cause for it. Not even when you absolutely, positively, must kill every motherf'er in the room. (Thanks, Samuel L.!) It wastes ammo and the only shot that is accurate is the first one. A professional soldier or Marine is trained to react quickly and put shots on target. Not one person's A2 in my squad every left the "semi-automatic single shot" setting. No burst fire. And DEFINITELY no full auto.
I also hear that most soldier nowadays don't use burst anymore. Semi is the way to go. The stability when firing increase the rate of fire anyway. When I play any military game (FPS or metal gear), I always go full auto but always firing one bullet at a time. Guess I've should set it to semi.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran

#22 Post by dramspringfeald »

And sometimes you just have time for it
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

LVUER
King of Lolies

#23 Post by LVUER »

Minigun/gatling gun is not a personal/portable weapon. If we're talking about mounted weapons, don't forget the M2HB Browning Machinegun or Mk19 Grenade Launcher.

DeviantArt Account

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran

#24 Post by dramspringfeald »

LVUER
King of Lolies

#25 Post by LVUER »

A minigun that can be mounted on vehicles? Don't we already have that? Still, minigun is a mounted weapon. I don't think we're going to have a portable version anytime soon.

BTW, can I have real weaponries like M4, FAL, and so on, in my commercial manga? Or it is illegal?

DeviantArt Account

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran

#26 Post by dramspringfeald »

No you cant have real guns by their name. BUT you can have a MA-Mongoose, PAL and so on. That's why most games and movies have Lawyer friendly names for their guns OR a slightly different spelling of the gun or name (the whole Springfield Armory VS Springfeald Armory) Phonically it's the same Legally it's fine.

The ones who DO use their names usually have permission and or paid the royalties.

You can also use ALL names in Eminent Domain. your 20mm Rifle can be called the Excalibur because it is not registered.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#27 Post by Coren »

Being a very fascinated military history student, I'll say ww2.

belcrane
Tumblr: belcrane
Deviantart: belcrane
Github: belcrane
Soundcloud: belcrane

#28 Post by belcrane »

Of course the present because lots of new guns, new bomb trap, new missiles etc...

Last edited by belcrane on Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arkentut
Tumblr: arkentut

#29 Post by Arkentut »

Since you're drawing a military manga, I personally think WW2 weapons are cooler when used in manga because they're classic and each weapon are assigned for different purpose. Their infantry rifles look cooler too. If you're going to draw tanks too, I personally like present day tanks more.

Actually, the only thing I can think of when someone say present day weapons are some sort of chemical weapon like those they use in Iraq? (Please correct me if I'm wrong about the Iraq War)

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#30 Post by Rinima »

"I want to draw a military manga. I already have all the characters, story, setting, and all other things. I only need to decide which technology will be used in the manga. WW2 weaponry or modern (present day) one."

WW2, cause it you used modern, everything would be blow up in a nuclear fire-storm. And then all your characters would be dead and you would have no story
Pronouns: They/them or He/him