Fastest "Complete" game you've ever written?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

Fastest "Complete" game you've ever written?

#1 Post by EwanG »

Just because I am constantly amazed at what RenPy gives you the possibility to do. My side project for DLsite took me just six hours this weekend. That was to create all the graphics (granted I cheated by doing all cut scenes and no separate character graphics), three animations, a quick musical ditty, the script, and all the programming.

Am just wondering what other folks have done in a weekend (or less) with RenPy?

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#2 Post by DaFool »

So is this the first official (commercial) H made with Ren'Py? We may just have to consider listing it as the first 18+ public release Ren'Py game. Let us know when its up.

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by EwanG »

Well, it probably won't be going up soon. While it's complete enough for about 15 minutes of game play, I've run into a technical issue (PyTom has a fix in the next release), as well as not being sure that such a short title will actually sell. Still, I was impressed at how much I could get done in such a short period compared to what I've run into with some of the other packages to try and get to that same point.

However, that also brings up a question about where one would discuss an 18+ game if released, since the normal forums are not adult access only...

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by DaFool »

Hmmm... the framework for 18+ should be set pretty soon (within the next two months): listings, discussion topics, both Ren'Py(commercial and freeware) and renai.us(for freeware games) I will be potentially joining you (although as a freeware listing) so it won't be lonely :wink:

As for the original topic, The Question was reportedly assembled in 6 hours... you can kinda consider the 2D graphics as "pre-made" similar to 3D renderings. But otherwise, no, it would seem quick-made games have to be 3D, Blade-engine-sprite-based(IIRC Realizations was another such quick game) or stock photos, no way an original art one can be made so quickly... 6 hours is basically what it takes to make a single picture look good.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#5 Post by lordcloudx »

How bout not that good original art? Fade was completed in a day.
Artwork for Hikari's Ribbon 1.3 in one particularly boring afternoon.

edit: and though it's not in ren'py. Art for the Mika pack in ShiraiJunichi's j-flash was also done in a day.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

absinthe
Regular

Re: Fastest "Complete" game you've ever written?

#6 Post by absinthe »

If by "complete" you mean "released", it'd have to be Eidolon at just under a month (it's a NaNo, so it was planned to be that quick). "Complete" as in "everything I personally can do" would be Danse Macabre in three weeks.

Now, the *slowest* is much easier! It's an AIF, now converted to Ren'Py, that I've been working on (off and on) since 2000. Trust me, it's going to be *awesome* when it's completed... sometime in 2010 or so. :D
My 2007 NaNo entry: Eidolon

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by DaFool »

I am currently working hard to be able to make what I call a 2X-Nano game. Basically a game that takes 2 months from start to finish, but using all-original resources (e.g. BGs, music) all made within that timespan. And also for the game to be of medium to epic length.
absinthe wrote:"Complete" as in "everything I personally can do" would be Danse Macabre in three weeks.
Just curious what happened with this one? Last time it was mentioned your original artist returned (and so the sprites became property of Tomorrow, among other examples of resource re-use that goes on in here.) It is a shame if we cannot all see it, it was a pleasant work.

absinthe
Regular

#8 Post by absinthe »

DaFool wrote:Just curious what happened with this one? Last time it was mentioned your original artist returned (and so the sprites became property of Tomorrow, among other examples of resource re-use that goes on in here.) It is a shame if we cannot all see it, it was a pleasant work.
There were complications, I'm afraid, but I've still got hope for it and some stuff in the works. :) I'd like to have it released sometime before the cough two year cough mark, just so I can get it off my back burner!

But you can see why I like to tell myself that time to finish or whatever really isn't that important. :)
My 2007 NaNo entry: Eidolon