The Favourite Character Who Always Dies

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

The Favourite Character Who Always Dies

#1 Post by Caveat Lector »

Exactly what it says on the tin. Have you ever had that cursed tendency of falling in love with a certain character, only for them to fall wrath to the story's angel of death? Oh, and when putting down examples, don't forget to mark it off with SPOILERS--revealing the title is okay, just keep the character's name and fate in the spoiler marking.

To list one example (for now): Kara No Shoujo:
Oh, Tsuzuriko...you were so lively, energetic, and a lot like me. You were a writer, and all you wanted was to keep getting better. And you were even in the process of writing another story! But then, alas, you caught the eye of a certain unstable killer, and...just...d@mn. And the really sad part? Your death was unavoidable. It wasn't like with Kazuna where I could go back and make the right choices, no, your death was a crucial part of the story. Alas, poor Tsuzuriko. I knew thee well.
:(
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

lemonscent
Regular
Projects: Remembrance:)

Re: The Favourite Character Who Always Dies

#2 Post by lemonscent »

Hakuoki ~Demon of the Fleeting Blossom~
Okita dies off in like every single route, including his. I'd have expected him to survive, at least in his own route, y'know? So he destroys himself and turns into this monster to cure his tuberculosis so that he can fight amongst the shinsengumi, but guess what? His tuberculosis isn't cured, and now he's just a monster with lung disease. Talk about a wasted effort.
★Remembrance - a WIP
소중했던 내 사람아 이젠 안녕❣ (안녕 안녕 이젠 안녕)

Nicasio4
Organization: A4Creations

#3 Post by Nicasio4 »

lemonscent wrote:Hakuoki ~Demon of the Fleeting Blossom~
Okita dies off in like every single route, including his. I'd have expected him to survive, at least in his own route, y'know? So he destroys himself and turns into this monster to cure his tuberculosis so that he can fight amongst the shinsengumi, but guess what? His tuberculosis isn't cured, and now he's just a monster with lung disease. Talk about a wasted effort.

Same

megatuga
Regular
Projects: 6 days (name subject to change)

#4 Post by megatuga »

Tsukihime:
This is not exactly about somebody being killed, but it still feels similar because... well let me just explain:

In Akiha's true ending, she succumbs to the demon blood on her family, removing all her personality and emotions. She just becomes a bloodthirsty puppet without any strings. In order to survive she needs her daily dose of blood which Shiki, her brother is all too willingly to offer every day before going to school.
So Akiha body is not "dead" but the thing is, that what made Akiha, Akiha, is no longer in this world. I don't know what you would call to that.
On the same game:
A minor character, Satsuki "Sacchin" Yumizuka. Is seen dead very early in the story, killed by Shiki himself. She fell victim of a vampire but instead of turning into a puppet, she grew her own powers and decide to let Shiki, her love interest since the 8th grade, be his servant and love her. However her feelings are not returned, so she decides to force him by making him obey all her orders. In one option, Shiki is bitten but soon "kills" the tainted blood that would make him Satsuki's servant and herself moments after. On another, he leads Satsuki into a false sense of security just to kill her later. On both hands, he never wanted to kill her in the first place. But she was growing hungry of human blood by the hour and she had already killed many.
Yet I couldn't help but find it irritant that she had to die like that. TYPE-MOON had a route for her planned but they never released it and by the looks of it, they never will (given that the game is more than a decade old, it's no surprise) But I would really like to see a better fate for her... better than the anime as well.

Also in Planetarium:
The fact that Reverie (Hoshino Yumemi in the original) lived all those years, waiting for a customer to arrive so she could show to them the special projection is sad in itself. But the fact that she took upon herself the fate of a man which was willingly to help her out and received a machine gun blast by a sentry robot... man. That is too much. It felt that she didn't knew what she was doing, she only knew that it was wrong for the robot to kill somebody, and so she stepped in. What is even more sad is that after retrieving her memories from her hard drive, the protagonist's fate is uncertain. But since there were more robots armed to the teeth, already warned about an intruder, it is most certain that he is also gone, with Reverie with him.

TrishaYuu
Regular
Organization: Winter Wolves

#5 Post by TrishaYuu »

lemonscent wrote:Hakuoki ~Demon of the Fleeting Blossom~
Oh fuuu I was seriously holding back tears while watching the episode where he dies~! But in the game, in his good ending, it was never clearly stated if he dies there or not...
though he most probably did die because even though he was cured from being a Rasetsu, his lifespan was severely shortened by the effects of using his powers AND by his tuberculosis -
I'd like to think both he and the protagonist just fell into a deep sleep... TT_TT

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

#6 Post by Fenrir34 »

Death Note
L. Man did I cry :cry: He was what made that anime and then he dies thanks to Light :x. Also Light's and Mello's death were sad to though they aren't my favorite characters.
Ar Tonelico-Doubt anyone knows this game ....
Luca's mother. I didn't expect to see Reisha die like that. She was a good character and did love Luka even though she wasn't her real daughter
FMA
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Hughes :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: That's all I have to say :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Final Fantasy 7-This is a game but still
Zack's and Asirith's death. (Sorry for spelling) I was more sad with Zack's and cried a bit :cry:

O7 Ghost
Dammit! Why must anime have all my fav characters die! :x :cry: . Mikage was a great main character and his death scene made me cry. It was so sad! I mean he does come back as a dragon, but it's not the same...
Dragon Ball Z
Okay this shouldn't count but I'm going to say it anyway because I was crying a bit. Alternate future Goku's death was very sad. Seeing such an energetic character like that die was to much for me as a kid. Also alternate future Gohan's death was terribly sad :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: (I love him to by the way)
Last edited by Fenrir34 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

SelLi
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Silent Column Demo, Memory Mage
Projects: The Silent Column, A Lily from the Lightless Water, A Castle on an Island
Deviantart: SelLillianna
itch: SelLillianna

#7 Post by SelLi »

Beast Wars
Dinobot
in this scene:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DQblCuUZWw
:(

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#8 Post by azureXtwilight »

Fenrir34 wrote:Death Note
L. Man did I cry :cry: He was what made that anime and then he dies thanks to Light :x. Also Light's and Mello's death were sad to though they aren't my favorite characters.
Luca's mother. I didn't expect to see Reisha die like that. She was a good character and did love Luka even though she wasn't her real daughter
FMA
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Hughes :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: That's all I have to say :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Zack's and Asirith's death. (Sorry for spelling) I was more sad with Zack's and cried a bit :cry:
Dragon Ball Z
Okay this shouldn't count but I'm going to say it anyway because I was crying a bit. Alternate future Goku's death was very sad. Seeing such an energetic character like that die was to much for me as a kid. Also alternate future Gohan's death was terribly sat :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: (I love him to by the way)
OMG YOU PICKED EXACTLY WHAT I WAS ABOUT TO WRITE.

Gurren Lagann
KAMINA. KAMINAAA DAMN IT. And Nia at the end. Manly tears are spilled.
Persona 3
Shinjiro, although you can save him now. And of course our hero Minato.

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

#9 Post by Fenrir34 »

azureXtwilight wrote:
Fenrir34 wrote:Death Note
FMA
Dragon Ball Z
Okay this shouldn't count but I'm going to say it anyway because I was crying a bit. Alternate future Goku's death was very sad. Seeing such an energetic character like that die was to much for me as a kid. Also alternate future Gohan's death was terribly sat :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: (I love him to by the way)
OMG YOU PICKED EXACTLY WHAT I WAS ABOUT TO WRITE.

Gurren Lagann
KAMINA. KAMINAAA DAMN IT. And Nia at the end. Manly tears are spilled.
Persona 3
Shinjiro, although you can save him now. And of course our hero Minato.
:o Seriously? Wow. All of these were very sad deaths :cry:

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#10 Post by TsukiShima »

Angel Beats
Technically all of them. I actually cry manly tears when I knew how the hero died for the sake of humanity instead of himself. And Yui, of course. But I like this anime, it teaches us to see the positive side of life.
Fate Stay series
All the tragedies fallen upon the Lancer class. UBW The Movie makes me sad, seeing him as a bad guy at first then suddenly plays hero, saving the characters and sacrificing himself... I respected him ever since.
Personally, if their deaths are tragic and memorable, maybe for good's sake, I am able to accept. That's why I can't accept random deaths present in most games (horror games especially), or like in Another and Dangan Roppa.

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#11 Post by Kato »

Clannad After Story
Ushio... Just... Ushio no ;_;
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

Evolution
Regular
Projects: ???

#12 Post by Evolution »

This happens to me amazingly frequently. It's like I have an internal compass that is specifically attuned to "He/She Who is Most Likely Not to Make It to the End". :(

As such, I could probably fill up an entire thread's worth of space (assuming that was a finite concept) on my own, so I'll limit it to the first few that came to mind:

Gemma Doyle Trilogy
Kartik. I wonder how many -- if any -- of you have actually read this? That's a discussion for another day, though. : P
I spent the entire series rooting for Gemma and Kartik to get together. Their entire non-relationship was very Romeo and Juliet-esque, except minus the part where they both spurn what their families/society thinks and run off together. In the last book, Kartik turns into a tree...I'm pretty sure that counts as a fate worse than death. The sad thing is, I didn't really even think that the ending was particularly fantastic when compared to the rest of the series. That could perhaps have made Kartik's death more bittersweet rather than flat-out depressing.
Harry Potter Series
I don't know whether to congratulate J.K. Rowling on her braveness or (figuratively) pummel her for ripping my heart out so often. I thought it was a bit of a cop out that none of the trio died as I suspected one of them would, but tons of other people certainly did. Sirius, who I was convinced for the longest would come back. Dumbledore, whose death -- particularly the circumstances -- was probably the most shocking I've ever read. 3/4 of the remaining cast in Deathly Hallows...and, here's where we get to my actual favorite: Severus Snape. I cried when he died, and again when I watched the movie. I had honestly considered the possibility that he would die in the last book, but I was CONVINCED that it would be in a blaze of glory. Instead, he was killed in a ridiculous floating force field by a SNAKE! This was made even more BS in the movie, because Voldie didn't even have to decency to contain Severus that time around. I honestly don't think it would have gone the same if Severus wasn't literally trapped. We did get to learn a bit more about Severus' past after that scene, but that's hardly a consolation! Besides, everything that we learned was depressing. :'(
Merlin (BBC)
Lancelot. Admittedly, I'm a bit biased toward him because I was enjoying the undeniable ho-yay surrounding him and Merlin. But, Lancelot was a legitimately enjoyable character on his own. He was the only major character -- aside from Gaius -- who Merlin was able to candidly discuss magic around. He encouraged it, actually. Didn't display the slightest bit of prejudice, even immediately after he found out. He was an excellent fighter. Brave. Chivalrous. Attractive...Not that it would have made any difference if he wasn't, but I can't deny that I appreciated the eye candy. Anywho, even his death was a great self-sacrifice. It was actually fairly unexpected, because Lancelot doesn't die until after Arthur in the actual legend.

The two runner-ups are Gwaine and Arthur himself. Gwaine was an early favorite character of mine; prior to joining the knights, where I feel his appeal wore off a bit, he was the sort of character that brightened up every episode he appeared in. Even though I didn't favor him as much toward the end, his death was made sad by how distraught his best friend was. It was also made slashy. As for Arthur, I never really cared much for him. He was always a douche to Merlin, though he did actually redeem himself a bit in the last season. I knew he was going to die the entire time, but the way it was set up in the episode you kind of thought he might actually live somehow. Merlin was a wreck when he died. As much as I loved Lancelot and as shocked by his death as I undoubtedly was, Arthur's was the one that actually made me cry. And did I mention the slash? Seriously, guys: that last episode was ridiculously slashable.
Homestuck
This "comic" is practically known for killing off as many characters as possible. Some characters were already dead by the time they were even introduced. ._.;
Most characters don't actually stay gone once they die, though, so it's not that big of a deal. HOWEVER, and I shouldn't even be surprised by this, two of my favorite characters die for good (at least for now). I'm referring to Bro and Eridan. We'll start with Bro. The funny thing about Bro is that I'm not entirely certain I was all that attached to him until I started reading fanfiction. He was awesome, yes, but you weren't told much about him, he was hardly ever around, and he didn't even have any lines. I was entertained by the few interactions he was shown to have with Dave, though, and his interests made him out as weird enough to be just my type of awesome. Not to mention he was kick** with a sword. You don't see him again at all once he dies, though some consolation does come in the form of Dirk.

As for Eridan, you technically do see him again a couple of times after he dies. But, it's not really the same. Funnily enough, I hated this guy when he first showed up. Then I decided he was hilarious.

AR was another favorite of mine. He didn't "die" as such, but got combined into a monstrosity known as ARquius. I basically want to punch ARquius every time he speaks. I miss AR's hilarious repartee and attempts and flirting with Jake. : (

Now that I think of it, Doc Scratch was pretty entertaining, too.

Gone but not forgotten, guys. May you all be forever immortalized in fanfiction. XP
Last edited by Evolution on Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arin the Eloquent
IRC Nick: Arin

#13 Post by Arin the Eloquent »

Kato wrote:Clannad After Story
Ushio... Just... Ushio no ;_;
She didn't really die, though, at the end of the anime. It was depicted as her dying, but it also gave the MC (name slips me at the moment) the second chance he deserved, which after going through again, reliving all of the events he just saw, and going back to reality, that that's the good ending that the MC had deserved. The developers of the anime kind of wanted to show the "Bad ending, Good Ending, True Ending", in my opinion.

But also in that very same anime, I just completely fucking lost it when Nagisa died giving birth. That was the one point I actually thought about seriously taking my own life, and then spent the next three weeks curled up in a ball laying on my bed, crying my eyes out every night.

And what made it worse? I knew it was coming.

RobertSilvermyst
Regular
Projects: Coming Home

#14 Post by RobertSilvermyst »

Persona 4
Nanako's death. After doing the entirety of Nanko's and Ryotaro's social links, it hits you all the harder when it happens. Yes, there is a way to bring her back by following the good/true ending paths, but the scene is still very heart tugging.
FF7 Crisis Core
Zack's death. We all knew it was coming. It is a prequel and his death was confirmed in the first FF7 game, but even knowing that beforehand, his death brought tears to my eyes.
Legend of Dragoon
Lavitz's death. Not only is it highly unexpected, but it is also early on in the game. That he sacrifices himself to save the prince gives him a hero's death of honor.
Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean
Cirris's death. At the very end of the game, after learning your talking sword was once a human mage who transformed herself into a holy sword in order to stop her immortal brother Radoria, She forces you to use her to destroy Madriker, the evil sword forged form the soul of Vlag the Dark Dragon. By doing this, you break both swords. Cirris is freed from her own spell and leaves for the afterlife after a heartfelt goodbye speech.
Breath of Fire 2
Your party characters. Right before the final battle, those who you chose to accompany you are killed off one at a time by Deathevn while you are paralyzed and forced to watch. This built up a ton of rage inside me, especially when he got to Katt. Granted they all come back after you cast Afini and resurrect them for the final showdown, but seeing that scene always gives me that really painful incentive to kick some evil deity ass!

KaenSe4
Regular
Completed: Good Morning Triss (2019), Palette Swap (Nano 16), Fairly Dangerous (Nano 15)
itch: kaense4.itch.io

#15 Post by KaenSe4 »

Tears 9,10
Yeah, I know it's supposed to be a tearjerker, but they made Yeonji extremely likable. It was not fair that they gave you false hope that you could save her in the second playthrough, and then turn the whole thing around on you :cry:
Saya no Uta
Really liked Sukisaka, being the "antihero", but just fighting for what he treasures the most in this world that had changed so much for him. He was such an interesting character, and it was sad he had to die. But I suppose it had to happen at some point.
G-Senjou no Maou
Maou is, in my opinion, one of the most badass antagonists ever. I mean, who has the balls to orchestrate terror amongst mafia groups, end up backstabbing all of them, manipulate almost every single person he comes across, and create an anarchistic nation in the center of the city? Not to mention faking his own death, and setting up Haru for murder. I mean, the his death was something that he would orchestrate, but I really rather him be alive to cause more terror.
Another(manga)
The nurse dies to the curse while on the phone with the protagonist. She had such a great personality. There was so much potential they could've built into this character, but they decided to kill her off in an elevator accident. :/