Give the POV to another relevant character, and...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Give the POV to another relevant character, and...

#1 Post by gekiganwing »

After reading the Let's Reverse Things for a Second thread on the Katawa Shoujo forums, I started thinking about alternate viewpoints and retellings. In this thread, let's talk about the following:

1. VNs and games which you believe would benefit if they were told from another character's perspective.
2. The reasons why you think so: Just for the sake of variety? To have an unusual or fascinating narrator? To challenge the audience? Some other reason?
3. What would you lose with this different point of view?

We don't need to make a long list of alternate POV stories that *already exist*. But if you need to make a comparison, go ahead and mention one or two.

Kami
Regular
Deviantart: sevowen
Github: KamiShepard

Re: Give the POV to another relevant character, and...

#2 Post by Kami »

I am actually working on a game which offers player to choose between two POV when they start the game. The idea of the game is that it happens in two different parts of the world and when main characters are not interacting they are having different lives, which makes it two COMPLETEY different experiences.

So, in my opinion, different POV are a good idea when they offer completely different game experience, you could argue that every character is different and each POV would be completely different, however, if characters are very closely tied and they spend a lot of time together the game would be fairly similar. Then again, if the POV is from female or male perspective it is acceptable because some people don't like playing opposite gender and would feel more comfortable having a choice.
Programming: C/C++, Java, PHP, SQL, Pyhon, JavaScrip, XHTML, CSS
AniVita Games | DeviantArt
Honest Critique

Semienigma
Regular
Projects: Cerebral Hinderance: Inner Iniquity

Re: Give the POV to another relevant character, and...

#3 Post by Semienigma »

I haven't really played that many games but I was playing a game with my friend that hade two people you could choose to play and they both were in the same party. It was really cool. It was tales of Xillia. I personally really like the idea of doing different povs, the more different the characters the pov is through, the better
Working On:
Improving my art and my first Kinetic Novel Cerebral Hindrance: Inner Iniquity(more info coming soon)
Visit my Tumblr! to see my art