Really stupid people

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Sailor Kitty
Veteran

Really stupid people

#1 Post by Sailor Kitty »

In school, teachers do not let us use videogame consoles. But people have been standing right in front of me and not noticed. Heck, once they examined a tamagotchi bag WITH a tamagotchi, and they just said "yeah, yeah, run along now." And once I played nintendo DS in a car beside a teacher. And normally they tell you that "please give it to me" as if we are stupid..! I'm not giving away my NDS in THAT fashion.

Yeah, my teachers are pretty fucked up. Glad it'll soon be over.
Know anybody stupid?
script is 85% done.
Title is now "Running through water"
and will hopefully stay that way.
Need a poem/lyric?
I'll write one for ya!
http://blog.sanriotown.com/sailorkitty_:hellokitty.com

magi
Special Project Artist
Projects: Hanafuda Club, Infinity Rain

#2 Post by magi »

I don't know, not using hand held at school is pretty standard affair. At least I am pretty sure they usually give it back at the end of the day, unlike the old days. :'D I mean, you kids should get plenty of time to play after you get home... although I guess its hard to say if that's the case anymore, with all the scheduling and what not.

Hey, I grow up in Taiwan, and when they find stuff, like comic and light novel or something like that... they don't give it back to you, its just confiscated, so feel lucky. :3

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#3 Post by lordcloudx »

If you want to play video games in school, a cellphone is the way to go. Modern handhelds are way too conspicuous.
hehe. :twisted:
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#4 Post by DrakeNavarone »

That reminds me of all the times in high school one someone's cell phone went off... They weren't allowed in my school, but of course, the teenage masses just had to bring it anyway, like it was a pacemaker or something... Well, that's not too unreasonable, since there are things like family emergencies... and as long as you don't get caught, right? Wrong... It's absolutely startling how many people in my high school either failed to realize or just outright refused to switch their phones to 'vibrate'... so when that call or text message did come in, the whole class including the teacher knew about it, and the phone was often confiscated on the spot (some teachers were a little more tolerant and let you off with a warning... "That better not be a cell phone and I better not hear it again...").
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

lordcloudx wrote:If you want to play video games in school, a cellphone is the way to go.
Heck no. A TI-89 or TI-92 graphing calculator is the way to go if you want to play games in school. I mean, you have a 100% bulletproof excuse as to why you want to bring one to school.

(Of course, back when I was in high school we made games for the TI-85 and the HP-48. Good times, good times.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#6 Post by Blue Lemma »

I think the geek factor has just tripled in this thread with that last post :wink:
But it's true, there really are awesome games for those TI graphing calculators! I think someone made Lemmings and someone made this weird drug trading sim game :shock:

Sailor Kitty
Veteran

#7 Post by Sailor Kitty »

there really are awesome games for those TI graphing calculators! I think someone made Lemmings
How the... :shock:

games for a calculator?
I think dad has a calculator like that, but how the heck do you get games for it? Lemmings? Meep...

Please excuse me, I'm not in the university yet...
Or high school.
script is 85% done.
Title is now "Running through water"
and will hopefully stay that way.
Need a poem/lyric?
I'll write one for ya!
http://blog.sanriotown.com/sailorkitty_:hellokitty.com

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by EwanG »

Or you can always go with a tablet PC, and just hide the game screen behind the screen where you're taking notes in class.

Not that I've ever done that in a business meeting... nope, not me... :D

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#9 Post by papillon »

I spent most of one year's math class writing very simple games for my TI-82... dunno how that compares to the 85 :)

(We were allowed to use the calculators on tests because someone hadn't quite caught on to just HOW useful they could be if you knew what you were doing... (their original stated idea was 'If you can figure out how to do it on the calculator, fine, as long as you figure it out yourself and don't get programs from someone else.' I don't think they realised you could take NOTES on them too...) unfortunately they changed their minds right before the spring final. Which I therefore failed. Still got a B for the semester though.)
Last edited by papillon on Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#10 Post by PyTom »

Blue Lemma wrote:I think the geek factor has just tripled in this thread with that last post :wink:
Of course. When I post to a thread, the geek factor _always_ triples.

I wrote a version of TIE fighter for the -85, using TI-basic. You would have to stop x-wings and y-wings before they could make it to the end of the trench run. I don't know if I still have it anywhere... I would need to check old hard drives to see if I can find it.

Ah, good times.

RPin

#11 Post by RPin »

Sailor Kitty wrote:
there really are awesome games for those TI graphing calculators! I think someone made Lemmings
games for a calculator?
I think dad has a calculator like that, but how the heck do you get games for it? Lemmings? Meep...
Those calculators are able to load custom programs written by the user. On the older ones with limited resolution people made simple games like Pac-Man and such.

Games usually are memory hogs, so people who are serious about college and such don't usually bother with them.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#12 Post by papillon »

More like time hogs. I paid no attention in class that year because I was playing with the calculator. Considering that I still got into a top* university and am now making my living from computer games, I don't think you can really say that it was a bad thing... :)

(Especially since we were only SUPPOSED to be using them for certain functions, memory was not at all an issue.)

* For certain values of top. Top-tier? A respectable name, at least?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#13 Post by PyTom »

papillon wrote:More like time hogs. I paid no attention in class that year because I was playing with the calculator. Considering that I still got into a top* university and am now making my living from computer games, I don't think you can really say that it was a bad thing... :)
"Never let your schooling interfere with your education." - Mark Twain

I mean, I could have sat around in class listening to the hippie junk they taught me, but that would have been a waste of my time. I spent my high school years programming and reading books, rather than paying attention in class.

Of course, my grades weren't all that great... but one of the nice things about the US education system is that grades aren't all _that_ important, or at least they weren't 10 years ago.

Scout
Veteran
Projects: A Princess of Venus

#14 Post by Scout »

PyTom wrote:
lordcloudx wrote:If you want to play video games in school, a cellphone is the way to go.
Heck no. A TI-89 or TI-92 graphing calculator is the way to go if you want to play games in school. I mean, you have a 100% bulletproof excuse as to why you want to bring one to school.

(Of course, back when I was in high school we made games for the TI-85 and the HP-48. Good times, good times.)
TI-89 nothing. The problem is that everyone else had a TI-83 in high school, so it's ridiculously difficult to find games for the newer TI-89/92... and I know I just don't have the patience to learn TI assembly. (As it turns out, the most efficient way of crushing a C++ programmer's soul is simply to expose her to assembly; even more effective than Python!)

On the other hand, it IS a really nice as a calculator, which... is at least marginally more important than what games it can or can't play.

dreamer

#15 Post by dreamer »

hehe well, we do everything with a cellphone here. Picture-taking, voice-recording, minor photo-editing, as a calculator, as clock, gaming, as an organizer, text messaging (never call it sms in the Philippines or no one will understand you.) and sometimes even for calling