Picky?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

Picky?

#1 Post by Rinima »

When recruiting, are you allowed to say no to people?

And when I say 'no', I don't mean it in a bad way, but if you were to say 'no', it basically means that there art/music wouldn't suit the vn that your trying to create, do you understand what I mean?

So could you say no if you have a reason like:
- not the right type of art/music that your looking for
- you don't think you'll get on with the person/they have a 'weak' personality

and can you say no if you think their art/music isn't good enough, or if that just rude?

Sorry if the question is a little... odd? Rude? Stupid?

But when I do start, I want to know what sort of thing's I am and aren't allowed to do in social terms.

feel free to yell at me/tell me off if I'm being stupid.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

lemonscent
Regular
Projects: Remembrance:)

Re: Picky?

#2 Post by lemonscent »

You can say no if you want, no matter what the reason is. And yes, you can say no if you think their art/music isn't good enough-it's your (or your acquaintance's or w/e) project, not theirs-but you shouldn't actually say that. I mean, you can, but that would be really rude lol. imho the polite thing to say would be something like, "Sorry, your art/music isn't exactly what I'm/we're looking for" or a variation of that.
★Remembrance - a WIP
소중했던 내 사람아 이젠 안녕❣ (안녕 안녕 이젠 안녕)

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Rinima »

lemonscent wrote:You can say no if you want, no matter what the reason is. And yes, you can say no if you think their art/music isn't good enough-it's your (or your acquaintance's or w/e) project, not theirs-but you shouldn't actually say that. I mean, you can, but that would be really rude lol. imho the polite thing to say would be something like, "Sorry, your art/music isn't exactly what I'm/we're looking for" or a variation of that.
Ah, thanks, see, I'm terrified of screwing up in the recruitment and the period after you've recruited someone, as I've noticed that's where a few projects fail and I really want this project to work :)

Thank you again, advice is needed and useful ^_^

Thank you

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#4 Post by fleet »

Here's some sample wording.

I appreciate your interest in my project and the position of (Name of Position) for which you applied. After reviewing all of the responses, yours was not selected for further consideration.

I appreciate the time you invested in making your response. Thank you, again, for your interest in my project.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Rinima »

fleet wrote:Here's some sample wording.

I appreciate your interest in my project and the position of (Name of Position) for which you applied. After reviewing all of the responses, yours was not selected for further consideration.

I appreciate the time you invested in making your response. Thank you, again, for your interest in my project.
You actually have no idea how much I appreciate all this help ^_^
I mean, this thread was only as a 'just-in-case', as I doubt any one actually like my idea...
ah well, I shall try anyway!
8)

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#6 Post by SundownKid »

It's fine to reject someone beforehand because they might be unreliable or have a different art style than you want (cartoony and not realistic, etc.), or if their art quality isn't up to your standards. You don't have to criticize their art to reject a person, since everyone will have different standards, but a heads up on the reason (e.g. style difference) is better than no reason at all.

Of course, if you are trying to get free art, you can't afford to be picky since there are barely any artists available.

As long as you're paying them, you call the shots. Just how much control depends on how much you're willing to pay - don't expect a cheap artist to give you 10 revisions of the same painting. And don't expect a free artist to follow your directions :lol:

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Rinima »

SundownKid wrote:It's fine to reject someone beforehand because they might be unreliable or have a different art style than you want (cartoony and not realistic, etc.), or if their art quality isn't up to your standards. You don't have to criticize their art to reject a person, since everyone will have different standards, but a heads up on the reason (e.g. style difference) is better than no reason at all.

Of course, if you are trying to get free art, you can't afford to be picky since there are barely any artists available.

As long as you're paying them, you call the shots. Just how much control depends on how much you're willing to pay - don't expect a cheap artist to give you 10 revisions of the same painting. And don't expect a free artist to follow your directions :lol:
So basically, I can be a tad picky, but not to so, and if I am going to reject someone, I must have a really good reason? Sounds about right for what I was going for anyway XD

(Since I'm poor and all)

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

#8 Post by Tempus »

The only thing I really have to add here is that recruitment is a two-way street. Yes, you're trying to impress people with your project by putting your best foot forward, but remember that they are (and should be) doing the same. Imagine the reverse: you ask someone to join your project and they say they're not interested and refuse your offer. They have every right to, I'm sure you'll agree. Just as you have every right to refuse their services if they're not what you're looking for.

Each time someone expressed interest in joining my project I'd let them know that I've read their message and will get back to them with a yes or no as soon as I've gone through the other messages. Then wait maybe 3 - 7 days until I've got several people to choose from and choose the person I like best out of them and let the others know I've filled the position. The reason I'd message them right away telling them I'd consider them is because after a week of no reply whatsoever, they're going to assume the position is filled and apply elsewhere (and some people will apply for multiple projects at the same time). It's also courteous, if you have the time to do it.
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Rinima »

Tempus wrote:Each time someone expressed interest in joining my project I'd let them know that I've read their message and will get back to them with a yes or no as soon as I've gone through the other messages.
The irony of this reply is that it took me all day.

Thanks for that advice, it had never accorded to me :)

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

#10 Post by Fenrir34 »

I don't think it's rude. It may be frustrating for the person trying to get someone to help them but it's your choice weather or not you want to do it.

It's better to say no then be a pushover and say yes to something you dislike. If you do that then you will most likely not work that well on the project

Semienigma
Regular
Projects: Cerebral Hinderance: Inner Iniquity

#11 Post by Semienigma »

I wouldn't see why you can't say no. Your game requires a certain style and if the person applying doesn't match then that's that.
Working On:
Improving my art and my first Kinetic Novel Cerebral Hindrance: Inner Iniquity(more info coming soon)
Visit my Tumblr! to see my art