Dating Sim or Vn?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: Dating Sim or Vn?

#16 Post by papillon »

I think e's just saying it's an easy way of constraining the space of possibilities so they don't go insane.

Elmiwisa
Veteran

#17 Post by Elmiwisa »

Katta wrote:Why is it a trick?
papillon wrote:I think e's just saying it's an easy way of constraining the space of possibilities so they don't go insane.
:!:
papillon already gave the short answer to the question. I am just going to elaborate on the "trick" part.
The word "trick" here is used in the same sense as an illusionist's trick. An illusionist try to make a phenomenon happen that looks like it can only be done by supernatural means and yet is done by mundane means.
Here we have the same situation:
-Phenomenon: "Whoa! Raise any stats you want. Go anywhere you want. The game last a few years in game time. You can go on dates, go to school, attend events and much more, on the date of your choice. Every choices matter. The possibilities are endless."
-The supernatural means: the game maker actually account for an huge amount of (interesting) possibilities and write various different chunk of dialogue for each. This means that adding even 2-3 more decision points to the game easily means a lot more workload that is needed to handle, easily increase the development time by a hundredth-fold.
-The mundane means: the game maker actually ensure that almost all of interesting possibilities are impossible to happen. All those that can happen get squished down to a handful of significant different narrative, but otherwise choices are acknowledged by a bit of different dialogue. This means that adding even 1000 more decision points just means a week or two worth of work

Starshine
Veteran
Completed: http://berry-melon.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... -2016.html
Projects: Pancake Surprise (2016)
Tumblr: http://bettybooplover.tumblr.com
Deviantart: berry-melon
Soundcloud: sweepea-1

#18 Post by Starshine »

I like dating sims... and first person view ones they are my favourites, i also like mixed games that can be both VN & DS.
http://berry-melon.blogspot.com
I'm not resting until I find
What would make your eyes
Glisten like mine
With loves divine!

Boo-Boo I couldn't aspire....to anything...
Higher...than to fill that one desire to make it
My own....Bop-Bop-a-Dop-Boop-Oop-a-Doop honey?

AlmondFlower
Regular

#19 Post by AlmondFlower »

I lean more towards visual novel as far as game play, but those are hard to find. A dating sim is fun as well. I like either as long as the story makes sense and I love it when the game is well - written.
moved accounts to AngelicReckoning.

SHiNKiROU
Regular

#20 Post by SHiNKiROU »

I don't like dating sims because of their game mechanics don't appeal me. So VN.