Honest Critique

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
pineapplepocky
Regular

Re: Honest Critique

#61 Post by pineapplepocky »

super duper support this! Although, I will restrict some things I say either way. There are things I would never post on a forum about critique, unless I know them personally and will tell them personally. Just because I don't want some crazy reputation of being a some pretentious butt who thinks she is on top of everyone. I've been an art teacher, and it's grown on me, that's all.

But yes, for anyone who is asking for a honest critique and has that logo, I will definitely help you out in most positive-honest way I can type out.

Visual Novel Project: Destiny Limit --> http://www.destinylimit.net/
(facebook: http://www.facebook.com/destinylimitgame)

deviantart: http://pineapple-pocky.deviantart.com/ (and open for commissions)
blog: http://www.jackieloart.com/blog/

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#62 Post by Katy133 »

Thank you so much for making this button! I haven't shared any VNs yet, but I plan to. I'm supporting this.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

fullmontis
Regular
Deviantart: fullmontis
itch: fullmontis

#63 Post by fullmontis »

Lodable initiative.

I like to think that feedback can't be negative, only untruthful. And untruthful critique, both positive and negative, can do a lot of harm to an aspiring artist/developer, way more than any honest dickhead comment would ever do. Feedback purpose is to let the artist understand what his works elicits in others, and change it to improve it and make it better. Not criticizing a work when it should to not make an author feel bad about his work is actually harmful for his/her development. Of course, that's not an excuse for making ineducated points! But still, giving honest critique is hard and that's why it's so valuable: most people can't be bothered to give it.

I have a friend, one of the closest ones, who is the most honest person I know, to the point of being abrasive. That's the reason he isn't really popular in our group of friends, he likes to make people know what he thinks of them. Many people don't like this. But I found him to be an invaluable source of critique. I always send a copy of works I want criticized to him first, because I know he's being absolutely honest about what he thinks about the work. I've learned so much about my own work thanks to him.

Trixar_za
Regular

#64 Post by Trixar_za »

I think we should be careful not to mistake Brutal Honesty for Honest Critique. Brutal Honest is normally a negative opinion intentionally biased against a person, concept, or group. It's like dealing with somebody you don't like - nothing they do will ever change your opinion of them and you may just shape even their good traits as something terrible in your own mind.

An example of this would be somebody that hates Japanese names in English VNs being unduly critical of a game that uses them.

That said, I prefer people to tell me what they think even if it's Brutal Honesty. I'll just ignore the unhelpful comments and learn from the helpful ones.
Did you just copy and past this to see what it said?

fullmontis
Regular
Deviantart: fullmontis
itch: fullmontis

#65 Post by fullmontis »

I understand what you are talking about. Personally I believe that understanding what someone personally dislikes and what is objectively (as in, technically) wrong in a work is an artist's problem and only comes from listening to lots of (honest) critique.

fsc
Regular
Projects: ALLBLACK; a new project incoming...
IRC Nick: fsc

#66 Post by fsc »

I'm doing this.
Here's a cute gif from GJ-bu for my seriousness.

bosinpai
Regular

#67 Post by bosinpai »

Hi,

First link is broken!

The initial poster said it was found using basic search engine query, so maybe we can replace it by helpful search keywords ; in any case here's a backup link from archive.org :
https://web.archive.org/web/20130707115 ... of-writing

ThisIsNoName
Veteran

#68 Post by ThisIsNoName »

animestarathira wrote:User was banned for this post - Taleweaver
Well someone needs to take care of their password better. :lol: