School Orientation - educative or bullying?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Sapphire Dragon
Regular

Re: School Orientation - educative or bullying?

#16 Post by Sapphire Dragon »

Theres no stuff like that here in england, at least not where I went. Through school I barely ever even met any "seniors" (we don't call them that they are just otheer students) and there were nothing telling us to respect them either.

I prefer it this way, there were many idiots who were older than me at school, they don't deserve merits for just beinfg born a bit earlier.
Deeplake: backgrounds= 45 (0 en) frames=149 (0 en)
fullscreen pics= 38 (0 en) Character pics= 191 (15 en) Trailer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TupfPglEe04
Portfolio:http://www.sapphire-nest.co.uk iDreams Game: http://www.pop-fiction.net

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#17 Post by azureXtwilight »

How lucky you are, Sapphire Dragon....
Well, I've passed through that, and I'm going to have one when I enter college..
AGAIN, MAn, that SuCkZ

RidleyWright
Regular
Projects: Blue Moon

#18 Post by RidleyWright »

Yeah, I didn't go through with it either when I got into collegue a year and a half ago (or something like that). Though there is that kind of stuff here, and from the stories I heard they do completely stupid things once in a while (I'm still wondering about that rumor from someone that had to bite a cockroach drenched in alchool previously...).

Anyway, it wasn't mandatory to go through with that, it's just to know people and stuff. And you get the right to do those sort of things in the next year. I'm sort of anti-social, so there's no way I'd be interested to go through with it.

Mikan
Veteran

#19 Post by Mikan »

chisa-chan wrote:I only participated on it a half day, since I got sick when our seniors commanded us to do push-ups. (And a senior shouted on my ear back then. How immoral.)

... uh, are you SURE you went to the school's official orientation? Isn't hazing banned in most schools?

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#20 Post by papillon »

Theres no stuff like that here in england, at least not where I went. Through school I barely ever even met any "seniors" (we don't call them that they are just otheer students) and there were nothing telling us to respect them either.
That's because you didn't go to one of those fancy grammar schools where fagging is an established tradition!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fagging

Jake
Support Hero

#21 Post by Jake »

Sapphire Dragon wrote: I prefer it this way, there were many idiots who were older than me at school, they don't deserve merits for just beinfg born a bit earlier.
Communist!

The best bit about being in the sixth form at the school I went to was not having to wear a uniform, but the second-best bit was the privilege to ignore the queue of years 7-11 in the canteen and go straight to the front.

And the third best thing was making them feel really uncomfortable by queuing with them anyway. ;-)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth

#22 Post by azureXtwilight »

Let's see, after finals I'm gonna be a senior and I'm gonna be the one who'll "orientate" them. XXD
Before that, I have to be orientated by the college students first, man!

Jake
Support Hero

#23 Post by Jake »

azureXtwilight wrote:Let's see, after finals I'm gonna be a senior and I'm gonna be the one who'll "orientate" them. XXD
One presumes that, remembering your own bad experiences, you'll treat your juniors with respect?
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#24 Post by LVUER »

Jake wrote:
azureXtwilight wrote:Let's see, after finals I'm gonna be a senior and I'm gonna be the one who'll "orientate" them. XXD
One presumes that, remembering your own bad experiences, you'll treat your juniors with respect?
Though that happened most time is orientation become "revenge-time" for now-seniors.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#25 Post by azureXtwilight »

Let's see, I want to explain the orientation system in my school,

The seniors are divided into 3 division :
1. OC--This one is the seniors division which help and treat the students who are weak, sick, or crying. (FAVE DIVISION FOR JUNIORS)
2. IC--The "killing" division. This one has to "get angry" with the students, give punishments, whoa, the scariest division. :shock:
3. SC--The task-giving division. They arrange schedules and give tasks to students.

Basically each class has 4-5 seniors to "orientate" them, and the three divisoins are there in each class.

I wanna be SC, I love making activities, tough, I think I will waste my breath for yelling at juniors, I'm javanese, and javanese loves staying cool! (Or so they said)

About revenge.....

"Revenge time" has been given in the orientation at the sixth day of orientation. We orientate our seniors back! That was fun! XD

Tough only for one day....

risingbamboobanana
Regular
Projects: On hold, sharpening skills.

#26 Post by risingbamboobanana »

hmm at my school you usually wouldn't go through initiation unless you hung out alone or had something about you easily subject to ridicule. my year hung out in mobs, so nothing much happened. unless you can count flicking gravy at someone initiation.
A little birdy in the sky
Dropped a poopie in my eye
I did not scream, I did not cry
But thanked the Lord that cows don't fly!

Cazel-

#27 Post by Cazel- »

Thankfully I never had to deal with any of that in school. There were minor things that came up in high school (freshmen had to answer the phone before everyone got their own phone lines in their rooms, you had to give up your chair to upperclassmen in the dorm if they asked in the TV room/lounge) but I tended to avoid it by not spending much time in those locations where it mattered. All actual orientations I had in school were organized and run by the school, and any students involved in the process had had to volunteer and be trained first.

My personality is such that had I had to experience it, things would have ended badly. Perhaps it is because I am a natural loner, but that sort of behavior makes me isolate, and makes me want to *not* conform. I would not have complied with any of the stupid tasks or punishments and not being as strong in body as I am in mind I doubt it would worked (well, beyond the fact that I still would not have done the tasks or done any punishments that required active participation on my part).

I have always questioned the point of such activity. I've heard the team-building/common experience excuse before, but that just doesn't cut it for me. Also, is that sort of behavior really permitted by the actual authority figures (teachers, etc.)? Anti-hazing sentiment may be higher here in the US than in other countries, but I just can't see how that sort of thing would be dismissed lightly if reported.

Urobeat

#28 Post by Urobeat »

My school was usually quiet and neutral, in the classrooms everyone was considered just another student. Only time it got heated with seniority and such was at the pep rallies because we sat by year. Then again there was that food fight...

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#29 Post by azureXtwilight »

F-Food fight?