Game Developers Conference

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Rosstin2
Veteran
Completed: King's Ascent, Kitty Love
Projects: Queen At Arms, Rex Rocket
Organization: Aqualuft Games

Re: Game Developers Conference

#16 Post by Rosstin2 »

Yes they will. You have to explain it to them in small words.

If you want to find out what I look like so you recognize me, feel free to Google Rosstin Murphy. I usually wear a black hat and vest. I have glasses and shoulder-length curly black hair. Oh-- and I'm a boy. :#) If anyone wants to Facebook friend me, be my guest. I can invite you to the "GDC Parties" group

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#17 Post by netravelr »

2dt wrote:One thing I'm curious about (and this may be just a tad bit off-topic), is how big of a presence do visual novels as a game category have at GDC? I would imagine not much, but is it something that the industry is at least aware of? Are developers from big studios going to be like WTF is a visual novel? WTF is Ren'py?
There have been panels about visual novels in the past (or one that I know of: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/04/01/vi ... gdc-panel/) However, I don't think I've seen anyone refer to RenPy when I was there. Most people are either rolling their own engine, or using Flash, Unity, or Unreal. That being said, I was mostly going to level design stuff so maybe I've missed some stuff.

Cheers!
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

LeetMusic
Veteran
Completed: Cursed Lands, Roommates, Wildfire: Ticket To Rock, Seeds Of Chaos
Projects: LeetStreet Boys, Paladin Dream, Murder Is Game Over

#18 Post by LeetMusic »

Not a whole lot of presence, but the genre is definitely growing. There is no reason we can't organize our own VN meeting at GDC. :)

Rosstin2
Veteran

#19 Post by Rosstin2 »

GUYS!! I'm sorry to brag but I'M GOING TO BE RUNNING AN INDIE MEGABOOTH FOR MY OTHER GAME, REX ROCKET, AT GDC2014!

I know it's not a VN, but I did do writing for it... I wrote a lot of the dialog for the evil computer, and I'm also the level/puzzle designer. It's a really fun project, and I think it's gonna be really successful. I think that being one of the featured Indie Booths will mean that we will finally get Steam Greenlit.

If you're gonna be at GDC, please visit me while I'm manning the booth! Wed-Fri!

There's a demo out too!! I'm really proud of this game. I've designed so many rooms and puzzles that sometimes I forget I can't actually teleport and rocket jump.

http://castlepixel.com/rexrocket/

Vin Howard
Regular
Projects: A Digital Ghost Story
IRC Nick: Vin_Howard

#20 Post by Vin Howard »

2dt wrote:One thing I'm curious about (and this may be just a tad bit off-topic), is how big of a presence do visual novels as a game category have at GDC? I would imagine not much, but is it something that the industry is at least aware of? Are developers from big studios going to be like WTF is a visual novel? WTF is Ren'py?
And somewhat in that vein, I wonder what type of effect the popularity of the Walking Dead game will have on EVN's

Rosstin2
Veteran

#21 Post by Rosstin2 »

Vin Howard wrote:
And somewhat in that vein, I wonder what type of effect the popularity of the Walking Dead game will have on EVN's
That's how I describe my game now. "It's like Telltale's Walking Dead." You know, for when you're talking to people who have NO IDEA.

allurious
Regular

#22 Post by allurious »

Would love to have a Visual Novelists meeting at GDC '14 if anyone's interested! I'm not often in America, so it would be nice to make the most of it and meet some other VN'ers at the same time.

Rosstin2
Veteran

#23 Post by Rosstin2 »

This thing is really coming up; time flies.

Where do y'all want to meet and when? I suggest Wed-Fri, I'm sure not that many of us have passes that let us in on Tuesday or Monday.

I think I've listed my number before but I'll do it again: 4o8 621 3917 - Rosstin Murphy

LeetMusic
Veteran

#24 Post by LeetMusic »

I don't arrive until Wednesday.

LeetMusic
Veteran

#25 Post by LeetMusic »

Game Developers Conference is next week. Is anyone from this forum attending besides Rosstin and myself?

allurious
Regular

#26 Post by allurious »

Yes, I'll be there. My schedule is pretty free on Friday (Thursday is Lost Levels)-- perhaps we could meet in the Yerba Buena (sp?) park or something, unless someone more savvy has a better idea?

(Psst-- someone should do a talk about VNs at Lost Levels! Anyone can submit a talk, and I'd love to listen to some rambling about the format.)

LeetMusic
Veteran

#27 Post by LeetMusic »

Allurious - That's a great idea! If you can PM me your email address then maybe we can set up a time to meet with Rosstin. Friday is fine with me.

allurious
Regular

#28 Post by allurious »

Sure thing! I'll PM you now. (:

lemonokashi
Regular

#29 Post by lemonokashi »

It looks like it's sold out. I live close to San Fran, so that's really too bad I didn't see this in time/

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses

#30 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

I live in SF! I wouldn't be able to attend though, even with a ticket (school/evening classes on weekdays, and I have work on the weekends).

Honest Critique