Game Developers Conference

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
LeetMusic
Veteran
Completed: Cursed Lands, Roommates, Wildfire: Ticket To Rock, Seeds Of Chaos
Projects: LeetStreet Boys, Paladin Dream, Murder Is Game Over

Game Developers Conference

#1 Post by LeetMusic »

Is anyone from this forum attending GDC this year? If so, would it be worthwhile to organize a visual novel developer meetup sometime during the conference? I will be there and would be interested in meeting anyone else in attendance.

Omniknight
Veteran

Re: Game Developers Conference

#2 Post by Omniknight »

Ooh...I'm interested. Very interested, actually. I'll be more than happy to help out in any way I can!!!! :mrgreen:

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#3 Post by Rinima »

Never heard of it, is it an American thing?
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

MayPeX
Regular
Projects: The Treated, Casey
IRC Nick: MayPeX

#4 Post by MayPeX »

GDC is a international group, the largest gathering of professional video game developers. It's a Expo just for them.

It's basically where the devs network together, show off, host an awards show, tutorials and lectures and more. You'll piratically see every major company there and many indie developers as well.

However it will cost you quite a bit to actually attend, it's serious business only.

arttorney
Regular
Completed: The Cask of Amontillado
Projects: Revelation, Trial Aid Demo

#5 Post by arttorney »

March 17-21 in San Francisco, CA. The Independent Games Summit is already sold out. A mere Expo pass starts at $195 unless you are a student who can qualify for a discount.

There's one in Cologne next August for you folks across the pond.
You may criticize my works if you wish. That's one of the two reasons I put them on the internet.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#6 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Sucks for those of us in Asia and Oceania.
If there is a VN meetup there, please let the rest of us know how it goes.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

LeetMusic
Veteran

#7 Post by LeetMusic »

More info here: www.gdconf.com

Omniknight - Does this mean you're coming to GDC? Maybe we can get a show of hands (so to speak) for people here attending?

This will be my 5th time attending GDC. It's a great show but yeah it isn't cheap. :P I could facilitate a meeting time / place if there is enough interest.

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#8 Post by netravelr »

GDC is a wonderful time and every time I've been there it's been great. Normally, I'm one of the Conference Associates (the volunteers) but for the last few years living in Singapore it's hard to make the trip. For anyone serious about doing games in the US, I highly suggest you go there even just for the people you can meet there. For some really good advice about GDC and game industry networking in general, I highly suggest Darius Kazemi's notes: http://tinysubversions.com/2006/02/effe ... gdc-guide/
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#9 Post by Rinima »

MayPeX wrote:GDC is a international group, the largest gathering of professional video game developers. It's a Expo just for them.

It's basically where the devs network together, show off, host an awards show, tutorials and lectures and more. You'll piratically see every major company there and many indie developers as well.
Ahh, thanks, that answers my question.
MayPex wrote: However it will cost you quite a bit to actually attend, it's serious business only.
Looks like I won't be able to go for a long time then. Damn money.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Rosstin2
Veteran
Completed: King's Ascent, Kitty Love
Projects: Queen At Arms, Rex Rocket
Organization: Aqualuft Games

#10 Post by Rosstin2 »

I'll be there, guys! GDC is like Christmas for a Rosstin.

Here's my phone number, feel free to text me and we can get lunch or something. 4o8 62I 39I7

Rosstin2
Veteran

#11 Post by Rosstin2 »

netravelr wrote:GDC is a wonderful time and every time I've been there it's been great. Normally, I'm one of the Conference Associates (the volunteers) but for the last few years living in Singapore it's hard to make the trip. For anyone serious about doing games in the US, I highly suggest you go there even just for the people you can meet there. For some really good advice about GDC and game industry networking in general, I highly suggest Darius Kazemi's notes: http://tinysubversions.com/2006/02/effe ... gdc-guide/
What years were you a CA? I bet we've bumped into each other without even knowing!

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#12 Post by netravelr »

Rosstin wrote: What years were you a CA? I bet we've bumped into each other without even knowing!
We probably have, it's a small industry. I was a CA in 2010 and 2011. Got accepted for this year as well, but I had to cancel due to work.
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

Rosstin2
Veteran

#13 Post by Rosstin2 »

netravelr wrote:
Rosstin wrote: What years were you a CA? I bet we've bumped into each other without even knowing!
We probably have, it's a small industry. I was a CA in 2010 and 2011. Got accepted for this year as well, but I had to cancel due to work.
Oh.... you!! My friends and I were dying to be CAs this year. I wanted to hang myself when I found out I didn't get in. If only I had pulled some more strings, I know so many CAs, ex-CAs, and event organizers who are involved.

Yeah I'm sure we've definitely at least seen each other from across a room or something.

LeetMusic
Veteran

#14 Post by LeetMusic »

Anybody else from here attending GDC besides myself and Rosstin?

2dt
Regular

#15 Post by 2dt »

One thing I'm curious about (and this may be just a tad bit off-topic), is how big of a presence do visual novels as a game category have at GDC? I would imagine not much, but is it something that the industry is at least aware of? Are developers from big studios going to be like WTF is a visual novel? WTF is Ren'py?