Dischan Dysfunctional Systems Kickstarter

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
2dt
Regular

Dischan Dysfunctional Systems Kickstarter

#1 Post by 2dt »

Didn't see anyone post about this yet, if someone already has feel free to delete.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/di ... al-systems

So it seems like our buddies at Dischan aren't quite gone yet. $50,000 seems a tad ambitious to be honest. How much you guys gonna donate (if any at all)?

As a side note a bunch of people over at r/visualnovels are complaining about the new artist's style.

Vin Howard
Regular
Projects: A Digital Ghost Story
IRC Nick: Vin_Howard

Re: Dischan Dysfunctional Systems Kickstarter

#2 Post by Vin Howard »

Well it should be noted that the pledge is in CAD; and what they are looking for (at the current rate of exchange) is equivalent to $44k. And that is to finance two games.

To be perfectly honest, I don't like the new art as much. It's not nearly as sharp.

But whatever. I genuinely wish them luck, and hope they succeed in raising the money they need.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#3 Post by SundownKid »

Considering the rate they're going, it seems they are on track to make the 50k. I think they are being a bit humble, the first game may not have been an unrequited commercial success but it did make them quite the fanbase.

I don't think the price is too much though. If anything previous visual novels have asked for too little, but they may be able to pull it off.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by DaFool »

Oof. Not having Doomfest art means their project is now same as hundreds of other EVN projects.

Though that doesn't mean their Kickstarter won't be successful (It's on track and tons of inferior projects were successfully funded).

ktalkimist
Veteran

#5 Post by ktalkimist »

What do you guys think of the funding goal? I am sure they're on their way to reaching it, but as VN creators, do you think it's too low or too high or just right?

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#6 Post by Deji »

According to that, it'll be 19.600 CAD for art, which seems to be 17.600-ish USD for two episodes.
Imagining it's 1/6 for sprites, 2/6 for Cgs and 3/6 for Bgs, that'd be:

$3250~ for sprites ($1625 per episode, if they don't share sprites)
$5850~ for CGs ($2925 per episode)
$8800~for BGs ($4400 per episode)

I think... it's a good budget for a high quality game, though with the new art they have shown so far, to be honest, it'd be a bit overpriced (unless they're doing A LOT of sprites and CGs).
I can easily get to 1600 with a cast of 10 characters in high quality, for example. But that's just me :') They may be faster or slower or be able to make art way better than mine anyway, so their numbers may be different.

I wish people hiring me had that budget x'D
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#7 Post by jack_norton »

I agree that the new art is not good as the original, but to be honest wasn't easy to find a good artist as Doomfest :)
To produce two games, considering they're basically sure to get on Steam (they have the first episode there, and besides when they'll be ready Steam will be open so there's no chance to not get on it) the price is fair considering they're going to be plain VNs (no big coding involved).

My prediction is that they're going to make double the goal amount. We'll see :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Razz
Veteran
Completed: Starlight Vega, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails
Projects: Two projects
Organization: Razzartvisual

#8 Post by Razz »

I disagree that the art isn't as good. His DA is here:

http://rtil.deviantart.com/

He has some serious skill

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#9 Post by chocojax »

From that, his art does look nice. The backgrounds and the colors are really nice and catchy (although a little bit too bright compared to the first episode), but the way he draws people looks very strange.

I'm not donating since I never played the first game and I've heard a lot of bad things about the writing. Although, I have a feeling they'll get along fine without my donation. :P

2dt
Regular

#10 Post by 2dt »

Skillwise, his art is really good. The problem people have is the style. It's just that it looks a too cartoony for what's supposed to be a fairly serious story. That, and it doesn't really capture the unique "anime/manga" look. It looks more like western style, to me anyways.

ktalkimist
Veteran

#11 Post by ktalkimist »

Deji wrote:According to that, it'll be 19.600 CAD for art, which seems to be 17.600-ish USD for two episodes.

I think... it's a good budget for a high quality game, though with the new art they have shown so far, to be honest, it'd be a bit overpriced (unless they're doing A LOT of sprites and CGs).
I can easily get to 1600 with a cast of 10 characters in high quality, for example. But that's just me :') They may be faster or slower or be able to make art way better than mine anyway, so their numbers may be different.

And half of that is going to writing. Hmm. How many people wrote and edited the first episode?

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#12 Post by MaiMai »

2dt wrote:Skillwise, his art is really good. The problem people have is the style. It's just that it looks a too cartoony for what's supposed to be a fairly serious story. That, and it doesn't really capture the unique "anime/manga" look. It looks more like western style, to me anyways.
The artist does have a good sense of colors and environments; style wise, I'm getting a Skullgirls kind of vibe which as you said doesn't seem to capture the tone that Doomfest managed to set.

Regardless, it looks like they might make their goal. Didn't know Dysfunctional Systems had this many fans.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Vin Howard
Regular
Projects: A Digital Ghost Story
IRC Nick: Vin_Howard

#13 Post by Vin Howard »

Deji wrote:According to that, it'll be 19.600 CAD for art, which seems to be 17.600-ish USD for two episodes.

Well if you look at the pricing, the 2nd game alone costs $10CAD; but the second tier which contains 2+3 costs $25CAD(a $15CAD increase), which implies that the third episode is going to involve 50% more work than the 2nd episode

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses

#14 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

Art-wise, I think people need to remember it is still in the concept stages. From what I read on Reddit, the artist seems to be pretty positive and taking feedback for revision. I'm okay with the art, but I haven't even played the first episode of Dysfunctional Systems! (I've read Juniper's Knot though) I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I heard good things about it from just about everyone.
Last edited by Green Glasses Girl on Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Honest Critique

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#15 Post by Deji »

I checked the artists's gallery and, as some of you mentioned, he seems to be pretty skilled! It's just the style doesn't really work with what they had before, so in comparison it looks more on the amateurish side, when the artist clearly isn't.

I hope they find a style that they're comfortable with and suits the game better (:
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (: