Memorable quotes

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Hudzon
Regular

Memorable quotes

#1 Post by Hudzon »

My HDD crashed (again) so I lost my entire collection of quotes (again).
Thus I want to get some inspiration from you guys.

Post your favorite quotes. They can be from anywhere, but you get bonus points if they're from a VN.

To start off, here's one of mine:
"Where is Heaven? - Above the sky and at your feet"
~Ever17

BellosTheMighty
Regular

Re: Memorable quotes

#2 Post by BellosTheMighty »

Hudzon wrote:My HDD crashed (again) so I lost my entire collection of quotes (again).
Thus I want to get some inspiration from you guys.

Post your favorite quotes. They can be from anywhere, but you get bonus points if they're from a VN.

To start off, here's one of mine:
"Where is Heaven? - Above the sky and at your feet"
~Ever17
I tend more towards the humorous then the inspirational, but I'll give it my best shot. These are all video game quotes:

"This is the town of Boyzby. And you know what? If you talk to me again, I'll say the exact same thing!" -Random NPC, Thousand Arms

"In my youth I was known as Salabash the Gold, for it was said that I had a heart of gold- small, hard and yellow. I cursed the one who started THAT so that he could only talk through his rear and defecate through his mouth the rest of his days. The apellation 'the Onyx' soon followed, in the same vein but not nearly as witty." -Salabash the Onyx, Planescape:Torment

"No doubt Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." -Jigsaw, after the drunken PC hugs a French doorman. (Voted worst pun of the year in the annual XYZZY awards.)

"Hey! Free dirt!" -Zork: Grand Inquisitor

Guard 1: "Read him his rights!"
Guard 2: *takes small book out of pocket, opens it, reads:* "You have no rights."
-Zork: Grand Inquisitor (Dumb but funny.)

One that's not really a quote- In Chrono Trigger, during the final battle, it's revealed that Lavos has been manipulating all human existence to attain for himself the ultimate evolutionary form. (Or something like that- I didn't quite get it.) Our heroes, unable to take the idea that their entire race is basically cattle and their enemy so much greater than them, fall into despair and start angsting over life's lack of purpose. Then Crono, mute as always, looks Lavos right in the eyes and draws his sword with a sharp "ching"- a bold gesture of defiance that galvanizes his allies into action. Who says you need to make big speeches to be an inspiring leader?

"Link checked the chest. Wow! This is a nice chest!" Zelda 4: Link's Awakening

A few VN ones:

"We're sorry, but as my dad is ugly, no picture of him will be provided." -PC breaking the fourth wall in True Love

"Excuse me but could you please fuck off?" -potential mate from True Love rejecting the PC

(PC calls the "childhood friend" girl to ask for a date:)
"Hello, who is this?"
"..."
"Hello?"
*disguised voice*"Har har... what color are your knickers?"
"Eww, gross!" *hangs up*
"... Damn, why did I do that?"
-True Love, again- some good dialogue in this game.

"Erm, okay, there's 'tsundere', and then there's 'Likes to attack you with KNIVES!'" -a friend on Makoto from Tokimeki Check-In!

Some from a Geneforge FAQ that I started but never finished:

"Hear me, Shaper. You made us. We owe much to you. But you Shapers, with all your might, all your power, all your wisdom, are not immune to steel. You will shred us. You will mow us down like wheat. But we will win!"
-Leader Khobar

"It sad day when Shaper more pitiful than Ghurk."
-Ghurk, on learning you don't have 10 coins to pay his bandit toll.

"Sencia think she all smart. But there many way be smart. I watch and listen. And this I know: Sencia need listen more. Her talk make her no listen."
-Clakkit

"'Not long ago, my bonded was lost. His name was Hudge. A vlish poisoned him, and he died.'
[...]
'What does it mean to be Bonded?'
'He was my mate. My love.'

Interesting. Though you knew that serviles were fertile and could reproduce (because it would be a waste
of effort to magically create all that were needed) you never thought about their mating rituals and such.

It isn't something Shapers pay much attention to."

-dialogue between the player character and Natley

"I think I am having some success awakening the natural desires of Thorn Batons." -Buron

"You are standing atop a volcano, about to erupt, and you look for butterflies." -Clois

"I told him it sounded like mad crap. That led to him not liking me as much." -Astrov

"'I must take your strength. I must make you weak. Only if you let me feed will I let you past.'
'And you have done so. You scare me. You make me feel weak. I have paid.'"
-a Guardian Shade and the Hero. (Yes, he falls for it. Shades are not known for their brains...)

An old DOS game called Alien Logic also has some great ones:

"Seeing you is like impaling myself on the reflection of infinity."
-Sha-Imsa, who doesn't like you.

"Leave or I'll have my corastin guard pummel you mercilessly. I'm just that kind of a guy."
-Daclish LeClur, who doesn't like anyone.

"We will kill you now. If you run... we will kill you later. The end result will be the same."
-random Ramian

"This is ludicrous. The Cleash will kill me for sure."
"I wouldn't say that, <CHARNAME>. [...] According to my calculations, you stand a 27.4% chance of survival."
-hero and Salrough Gomo

"It would be just awful if you failed. You'd be dead, I'd be dead, and where would that get us?"
-Salrough Gomo

"Your days are numbered..."
"My days are numbered- yes. Your days are over- yes."
-hero and Cleash commander

"You fat four-eyed pibber!"
-an old insult

"Disclaimer: No corondon, mandare, beagre, or scragger were harmed in the making of this game. However, we did kill pibber."
-from the end credits (It's possible, in fact beneficial, to complete the entire game without killing a single pibber.)
----
"Yes, ninety percent would never get finished, and ninety percent of the rest would suck. That's the way it always works. That's how you get stuff that kicks ass." -Andrew Plotkin

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#3 Post by DrakeNavarone »

I get quotes of the day on my google homepage all the time. They usually add a nice little something to my day. The occasional smile, and on the instance of the somewhat uncommon Mitch Hedberg joke, the occasional outloud laugh.

But the only quote that really had any impact at all is one by Charles Schulz.
Charles M. Schulz wrote:My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I'm happy. I can't figure it out. What am I doing right?
In fact, this exact quote inspired much of a story idea that I have. Now whether or not I actually get to writing said idea is another matter, but at least this quote inspired me.
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#4 Post by lordcloudx »

Whassat? Someone ask for quotes?

Assorted RPG/Anime/Non-Anime Quotes

"As I rode my bicycle, I always looked forward, to see how far I could go without looking back. I didn't know the reason why I did that...I just kept on riding. Then, I realized why I had always rode without looking back---it was probably so I'd realize how important the things I left behind are."
Takemoto Yuuta, Honey and Clover

"3-d may not be the best students academically. People think they're trash just because they don't get good grades and they look different from all the other students in school. But during the time I spent with them, I learned what they truly are, who they really are. Everyone of us makes mistakes. It's just that they make more mistakes than others. So, it is our duty as teachers to guide them towards the right path. Remember, the most important thing is that these guys' hearts are in the right place...and I am proud to say that I'm their homeroom teacher."
Yamaguchi Kumiko (Yankumi), Gokusen Live Action Season 1

"Mada mada dane (or...it's never over yet!)"
Eichizen Ryoma, Prince of Tennis

"The young man is a traveler, his companions on the road are two, one is a puppet that starts walking without a hand to guide it, and the other is a far-distant promise given to him by someone with great power... The summer continues forever under a sparkling blue sky, under the air, where she waits."
From the anime/game Air

"Fate creates a path towards our destiny, but only we can decide our purpose towards that path."
Ashuramon - From the anime Digimon Adventure 02

"Though we may walk on different paths, as long as we still look up to the same sky, we can always go back to the melody that we found that day."
-From the ending theme of the anime Strange Dawn.

"Music is a mysterious thing. Sometimes it makes people remember things that they do not expect. Many thoughts, feelings, memories... things almost forgotten. Regardless of whether the listener desires to remember them or not... Long ago, people would listen to this melody just as we are doing now. At times they would have been cheered up... While at times they would have been made to cry."
Citan Uzuki - From the PSX RPG "Xenogears"

"The melody of logic will always play out the truth."
Ayumo Narumi - Spiral

"If tomorrow is not the end of oblivion, then I shall live each day as if it were my last."
Yukino - From the Anime "Gatekeepers"

"A person's truth is often so simple that most people ignore it. To concentrate on what they think are deeper truths."
From the Anime "Neon Genesis Evangelion"

"Your truth can be changed simply by the way you accept it. That's how fragile the truth for a human is."
From the Anime "Neon Genesis Evangelion"

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind"
From Dejap's Translation of the SNES RPG "Tales of Phantasia"

~What do you think you've found?~
~Here......in this dying world?~
~Why do you build knowing that destruction is inevitable?~
~Why do you yearn live, knowing that all things must die?~
From the PSX Remake of "Final Fantasy VI"

This world doesn't need a hero if a hero is just a euphemism for sacrifice"
From the PSX RPG "Wild Arms 2nd Ignition"

"If it's impossible to love all the people in the world then at least love one person and never betray, doubt, blame, or hate that one person"
From "Shizuku" 2nd Ending Theme of the Anime/Manga "GTO"

"You will never see tears
fall from these eyes for my eyes
will never mourn your departure.
It is my soul who will weep
the bitterest of tears
beyond pain and sorrow."
Kenshin Hemura - From The Anime/Manga "Rurouni Kenshin"

"Vanity of Vanities. Kill the father as you see meet him. Kill Buddha as you meet him. Never be captivated nor bound by anyone. Just live your life in the way you are."
Genjo Sanzo - From the Anime/Manga "Gensoumaden Saiyuki"

"If you stand on your own stage and speak with your own words, then nobody will ever laugh at you, I know I wouldn't"
Meia - From the Anime "Vandread"

"Loving one another means building lives for the future, not just ours but our children's future and that of our children's children as well."
From The Anime "Ayashi no Ceres"

"No one can stop the flowing of time
but a moment captured
in the frame of the heart
will never disappear."
From The Anime "Boys Be"

There are many books in the library, each with a different story to tell, but as you fall in love, reality becomes a great story better than any novel.
From The Anime "Boys Be"
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

#5 Post by Guest »

Time to give my share.

The following are from Suikoden V.

1. "The eyepatch was to remind myself to never get overconfident." --Georg Prime
2. "Sometimes, the best way is not always the ideal way." --Zahhak
3. "They say this will be a decisive battle. But all battles are decisive. Do not be too concerned. A blade sharpened too often will easily shatter." --Zegai
4. "Here to gaze at the stars as well? Leknaat calls me 'traveler of the night and bearer of the stars' but I hardly deserve such a title. Though I see the stars that dwell within each of you, I could not possibly hope to know where fate may take you. And I myself am simply one star among many." --Zerase

The following are assortments.

"Is it your destiny to win, to live, or to die?" --Claudia, Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song

"This generation is a wicked generation; it seeks for a sign, and yet no sign shall be given to it but the sign of Jonah." --Luke 11:29 (A compatriot and LJ friend told in his blog that the quote applies to most Filipinos today -- they're only thinking of today.)

"I am a being of solitude..." --Rozalin (
the real Overlord Zenon
), Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories

"Time to grow up, kid." --Geddoe, Suikoden III (
in response to Luc's bombastic speech on using the five True Elemental Runes to kill himself and a million other people for his ultimate purpose of release from his wretched life
)

"Mr. Customer... this... is my prayer. That Heaven... not be... split in two." --Reverie Planetarian, Planetarian

MoonlightBomber
Regular
Completed: Gravure: A Super Network Wars Prelude, Nothing Happened series
Projects: Deadline, upcoming NaNoRenO 2020 project
Tumblr: moonlightbomber
Deviantart: moonlightbomber
itch: dagitabsoft

#6 Post by MoonlightBomber »

Heh. That was me posting as a freakin' guest.

Well, I've gotta give more!

"Casual anime fan or casualty of anime fandom? You decide." --An Anime on DVD forum member

"No Power-Ups. No Cheat Codes. No Easy Mode." --placed on the US Army's booth at the Penny Arcade Expo 2007 (http://kotaku.com/gaming/pax-07/the-arm ... 294241.php)

"If there really is a God, and he could grant me just one wish, I'd go back to the day we met..." --Yuri Volte Hyuga, Shadow Hearts: Covenant

"Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!" --Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V (Advance?)

"Names don't matter. What's important is how you live your life." --Ramza Beoulve, Final Fantasy Tactics

"Meanwhile, there is still no viable cure for a sick country. No one notices its burning fever, and no one bothers to cure it." --from Bob Ong's "Bakit Baliktad Magbasa ng Libro ang mga Pilipino?" (translation mine)
Korina Sanchez: Ex-sensei Mel, we've met again.
Mel Tiangco: I'm expecting this from my former student.
Korina Sanchez: I know all along the reason for your presence.
Mel Tiangco: Of course. Your hairbrush.
Korina Sanchez: Snatch it again? Well, you're mistaken. It's because my hairbrush's container is packed with security features. What's your say?
Mel Tiangco: If you can do security... (pause) then 120% of my strength will shatter it!

Excerpt from Super Network Wars Omega: Suikoden Pilipinas

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#7 Post by Der Tor »

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love."

"The ideals which have guided my way, and time after time have given me the energy to face life, have been kindness, beauty, and truth."

- All from Albert Einstein

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by musical74 »

Think this is elsewhere but it's a classic in my mind...

Ryoko: Now....I want your balls please!
Tenchi: What? No way. they're mind and I'm gonna hang onto them!*

(Tenchi is protecting his groin....)

From Persona: Revelations...

Brad: I know, I know, you were all worried about me, right?
Mary: Oh Brad....you're still here?
Brad: OUCH....

(Gotta love Brad getting humiliated...)

I'm sure I'll think of some more...
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Showsni »

A few from things I've been watching/playing/reading recently... Probably better in context.

Lisa: I feel like I’m gonna die, Bart.
Bart: We’re all gonna die, Lis.
Lisa: I meant soon.
Bart: So did I.

Herman Toothrot: If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, what color is the tree?
Guybrush: Brown? Blue? Forest green? Red? Cyan? Lavender? Magenta? Puce? Aquamarine? Taupe? Burnt sienna? Raw umber? Sepia? Mulberry? Periwinkle? Orchid? Turquoise? Peach? Plum? Aubergine? Teal? Mustard? Cabernet? Slate? Smoke? Brick? Coral? Chartreuse? Cherry? Wisteria? Raspberry? Vanilla? Asparagus? Cranberry? Sangria? Eggshell? Driftwood? Sumac? Alpaca? Storm grey? Evening haze? Tarragon? Sachet? Venetian? Juniper? Drizzle? Sweet potato? Bayou? Manilla? Macintosh grey? Mange? Sharkbite? Sashimi green? Ebony? Ivory? Menthol? Sahara? Salmon? Oxblood? Khaki? Fuchsia? Robin's egg? Ash? Spice? Copper? Weathered pewter? Vermillion? Metallic burgundy? Russet? Cadmium white? Cerulean? Thalocyanide green? Ochre? Deep purple? Beryl? Hot pink? Oatmeal heather?
Guybrush: All colours?
Herman Toothrot: Exactly. Now, what has this experience taught you?
Guybrush: That philosophy isn't worth my time.
Herman Toothrot: I'm very impressed. It takes most people years to reach this point.

For the Snark was a Boojum, you see.

Sailor Kitty
Veteran

#10 Post by Sailor Kitty »

Is it that fun mimicing me?
-blue in pokemon blue
(I belive this is his only line in the whole game. That is what makes it memorable.)

Why I wear this knife?
Because if I can't escape from this place, at least I can get out of here.
~Asylum
script is 85% done.
Title is now "Running through water"
and will hopefully stay that way.
Need a poem/lyric?
I'll write one for ya!
http://blog.sanriotown.com/sailorkitty_:hellokitty.com

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by musical74 »

This is from Callahan's Crosstime Saloon...it's not anime but it's a VN

*You'd like to beat around the bush, but right now you have some serious procrastinating to do.*

If you don't know about the game...it's a great game but there's a LOT Of puns...so keep that in mind =)

From Final Fantasy 6:

Terra: *You're Locke, right? Edgar told me about you. Is it true you're a thief?*
Locke: *That's TREASURE HUNTER!*

later, if you bring both Edgar and Sabin to the first trip to the Southern Continent.

(Coin flipped)

Celes: "I win! Now, honor your part of the bargain!*
(Setzer looks at the coin)
Setzer: "How unusual....a coin with identical sides...!*
Sabin: That coin....?! BIG BROTHER!!! Don't tell me....!"

After Kefka ruins the world...

Celes: "Sabin! You're alive!"
Sabin: "Of course! You think a little thing like the end of the world was gonna do me in?"
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

MoonlightBomber
Regular
Completed: Gravure: A Super Network Wars Prelude, Nothing Happened series
Projects: Deadline, upcoming NaNoRenO 2020 project
Tumblr: moonlightbomber
Deviantart: moonlightbomber
itch: dagitabsoft

#12 Post by MoonlightBomber »

From the Anime on DVD forums, again:

"[Having a girlfriend is] like coming into possession of a pre-owned milkshake of indeterminate viscosity and mileage that you may or may not have to murder and replace." --Patrick Seitz (voice actor)
Korina Sanchez: Ex-sensei Mel, we've met again.
Mel Tiangco: I'm expecting this from my former student.
Korina Sanchez: I know all along the reason for your presence.
Mel Tiangco: Of course. Your hairbrush.
Korina Sanchez: Snatch it again? Well, you're mistaken. It's because my hairbrush's container is packed with security features. What's your say?
Mel Tiangco: If you can do security... (pause) then 120% of my strength will shatter it!

Excerpt from Super Network Wars Omega: Suikoden Pilipinas

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#13 Post by Blue Lemma »

My favorite from Lunar: SSSC

"Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who...IS DEAD!" - Magic Emperor :lol:
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

themocaw
Regular

#14 Post by themocaw »

Death's speech to Azrael at the end of "Reaper Man" by Terry Pratchett gets me every time. If you haven't read the book, I won't spoil it for you. If you have, you know what I mean.

Mr. E
Regular

#15 Post by Mr. E »

Oh well... Since another brave soul already mentioned Terry Pratchett I'll put one of my favourite piece of dialogue here. This one is from Small Gods:

Om: "You still think we'lll get here? No food? No water?"
Brutha: "But you found water. Water in a desert."
Om: "Nothing miraculous about that. There's a rainy season near the coast. Flash floods. Wadis. Dried-up river beds. You get aquifers."
Brutha: "Sounds like a miracle to me. Just because you can explain it doesn't mean it's not still a miracle."
-A god and his only follower talking in the desert.