Ultimate Dream: I got my novel released!

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

Ultimate Dream: I got my novel released!

#1 Post by chronoluminaire »

I finally finished it! My novel that I started in NaNoWriMo 2006 has finally been released upon the unsuspecting world!
It's in the form of a sequence of blog posts (by the main character) and comments on those posts (by her friends). I had fun making references to all the stereotypes of fantasy stories generally and RPGs specifically :D
If anyone wants to read it, you can find it here!

But wow... it feels so good to have finally finished it! I started it in November and wrote 50000 words then, but that didn't finish the story... as it is it's now about 70000, but it took me over 9 months to write those final 20000. It's sooo good to have finished it!
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

Sailor Kitty
Veteran

Re: Ultimate Dream: I got my novel released!

#2 Post by Sailor Kitty »

Good for you!
I love that feeling when you have accomplished something big...
I'll read it later. So little time!
script is 85% done.
Title is now "Running through water"
and will hopefully stay that way.
Need a poem/lyric?
I'll write one for ya!
http://blog.sanriotown.com/sailorkitty_:hellokitty.com

GViper

#3 Post by GViper »

Read the first few posts, liking it so far! Got work to do, but bookmarked! Will report back :D

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#4 Post by Der Tor »

now that's a unique aproach, and will propably get you more readers than if you where trying to publish it... espacially if you do it like the "Blair Witch Project" or "Lonelygirl15" and pretend it's real (-:

rocket
Veteran
Projects: Starlight Ep0, Ep1

#5 Post by rocket »

Congrats!

GViper

#6 Post by GViper »

Well, I finished reading the whole thing, and wow! I have to admit, it was extremely well written and pretty entertaining too! I have a couple of niggles that i'll describe though.

firstly, is what is your audience? by the style of writing and story, I'd say this could quite easily be a teen novel, without a shadow of a doubt. However, that sex scene did grate with me slightly, surely not many people go into that sort of fanfic level detail on their blog? Not terribly realistic. plus, like i say, it's just very misplaced in terms of audience i think.

Apart from that really, it's fantastic! engaging characters, a good story, nice plot twists, and left me wanting to know how they all got on in the real world afterwards! Congratu-bloody-lations!

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#7 Post by chronoluminaire »

GViper wrote:Well, I finished reading the whole thing, and wow! I have to admit, it was extremely well written and pretty entertaining too! I have a couple of niggles that i'll describe though.

firstly, is what is your audience? by the style of writing and story, I'd say this could quite easily be a teen novel, without a shadow of a doubt. However, that sex scene did grate with me slightly, surely not many people go into that sort of fanfic level detail on their blog? Not terribly realistic. plus, like i say, it's just very misplaced in terms of audience i think.

Apart from that really, it's fantastic! engaging characters, a good story, nice plot twists, and left me wanting to know how they all got on in the real world afterwards! Congratu-bloody-lations!
Wow, thank you! :D

I'd say the target audience is twenty-somethings of the digital generation. That's the protagonists' age range. I deliberately didn't want to make them highbrow university students, but just 24-year-olds with jobs.

One other reader commented something about "would someone really go into that much detail on their blog?" The thing is, people don't regurgitate dialogue on their blogs, but the novel needs dialogue or it would be horribly uninteresting. People don't go into as much detail on their blogs as Tessa does, but that's necessary for it to work as a story.

And also, there are certain blogs where people most definitely do go into that level of detail on their sexual encounters >.>;;;

But yeah, I could edit the sex scene out without the novel losing much. A number of people really like it, but others seem not to. I've debated putting an edited version online.

Still, thanks for the encouragement and kind words! :D
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!