The last book you read or what are you reading right now?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

Re: The last book you read or what are you reading right now

#16 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Eiliya wrote: Last Actual Book Read: Wheel of Time - Memory of Light

Seriously looking forward to the next volume of Index. As for WoT, it was a long, long road, but in the end, I think it was really worth it.
Haha. I actually thought about picking up the Wheel of Time books in the early 1990s. I feel like I dodged a bullet - I can't imagine having to wait decades for story resolution!

I've been reading mostly art books - books on perspective, anatomy, etc. The last real fiction books I read were the Hunger Games novels. Well, that and my usual re-reads of Alice in Wonderland.

This question has totally depressed me, because in trying to think of the last thing I read, I've realized how few books I read anymore. I used to read 2 novels a week when I was younger, and now, apparently, I am down to 4 in a year.... :(

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

#17 Post by Asceai »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:Haha. I actually thought about picking up the Wheel of Time books in the early 1990s. I feel like I dodged a bullet - I can't imagine having to wait decades for story resolution!
I made the mistake of getting into both The Wheel of Time AND A Song of Ice and Fire. aaaaaaaa~

Shio_Fuu
Regular
Completed: Deadly attachment
Projects: My father's apprentice
Organization: Dotama Studio

#18 Post by Shio_Fuu »

@Haze after your review I don’t think I'm going to read Dualed! Sounds like everything I don't like :lol:
I finally finished A Monster Calls! I could have finished it a long time ago, but the moment was always wrong! Once I was reading in the bus and almost teared up :lol: After that I just kept postponing the ending - I didn't want to cry in public!
I found some time to finish it today, but I still wasn't in the right mood. Anyway, it's a very good story about coping and I'd recommend it to anyone! I liked the moral - we all have bad thoughts in our heads but at the end the only thing that matters is our deeds.
I don't know what to read next, any recomendations? Maybe The Ocean at the End of the Lane? Saw it a couple of days ago in a bookstore, and I think it might be my sort of the book.
Image Image Image

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses

#19 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

The last book I read was The Ring of Solomon by Jonathan Stroud from The Bartimaeus Trilogy...currently tackling The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet by Reif Larsen. From the cover, I thought it was an book about cartography. I was wrong. In a good way.

Honest Critique

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#20 Post by Taleweaver »

Currently into The Dresden Files. Just finished Ghost Story, starting with Cold Days tonight. Hopefully, I won't finish it before the next part comes out in May - I hate cliffhangers, and Ghost Story's predecessor Changes had one HELL of a cliffhanger - that lasted 1 1/2 years!
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#21 Post by Rinima »

The Hunger Games.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Eiliya
Regular

#22 Post by Eiliya »

I've been thinking of picking up Fire and Ice myself, I don't mind waiting. I've been patient all my life, although I did get somewhat worried when Mr. Jordan passed away before finishing the WoT story. I think his successor did a wonderful job though ^_^

strawberry loaf

#23 Post by strawberry loaf »

I'm currently re-reading the The Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith, but just the original trilogy.
I read them when I was in grade school and absolutely loved them, so when the TV series
came out and was completely different, I was disappointed. It's only now that I decided
to thumb through them again, and I'm glad I did. >//w//<

Other than that, I just finished The Fixer by Malamud for university, and
A Goat in the Snow, a book of poems by Emily Petit.
Now I want to get started on The Ocean at the End of the Lane, by Neil Gaiman. <3

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

#24 Post by Fenrir34 »

Last book I read Tamara Pierce's book Becka Cooper. Besides that, I think I'm going to read the fifth book of Harry Potter. It's so sad though that it's difficult for me do because of what happens :( . Also, I think I'll read Bloodhounds since it's also fantasy and I need to learn. Oh and Slammed. My sis says that book is wonderful. Gotta read that as well.

Yosh'
Tumblr: friedyosheggs
Deviantart: Polka-Dotted-Yoshi

#25 Post by Yosh' »

The last book I completed was "The Third Lie" by Ágota Kristóf, part three/the final part of its series.
(Technically, it was actually in one giant book with its two predecessors.)

I read "The Daughter of Evil: Clôture of Yellow" by Akuno-P recently as well, but I don't really remember which one was more recent.

I enjoyed both reads quite a bit. :)

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#26 Post by Haze »

@Haze after your review I don’t think I'm going to read Dualed! Sounds like everything I don't like :lol:
...I don't know what to read next, any recomendations? Maybe The Ocean at the End of the Lane? Saw it a couple of days ago in a bookstore, and I think it might be my sort of the book.
Glad to hear the review was helpful! As for recommendations, how about "The Good Thief" by Hannah Tinti? Haven't read that one in a while, but it was quite good. If you want a shorter read, then I can definitely point you to "Schoolgirl" by Osamu Dazai, which shows a short but memorable picture of a schoolgirl's life. I'm not sure about "The Ocean at the End of the Lane", though, mainly because I hadn't even heard of it before it was mentioned in this thread. :lol: If I get a chance to read it, should I tell you guys what I think?

As for me, I'm rereading "The Tao of Chess" by Peter Kurzdorfer. It's really good, and each chess principle introduced in the book is a "bite sized chunk" about 2-3 pages. That's really helpful for me, because if a nonfiction book is in regular chapters, I get bored. Bite sized chunks works best for me when it comes to nonfiction. "The Art of War for Writers" also had a similar style, and I loved that book, too. Highly recommended for all you writers out there! It's focused mostly on novel writing and getting published, though, but it's still a great read!

EDIT: And now, less than a day after posting this, The Tao seems to have disappeared into the depths of the earth. Seriously, I can't find it anywhere. Granted, I was almost done with it, plus I've read it before, but still...
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

SimonLayton
Regular

#27 Post by SimonLayton »

Just finished reading Black Swan Green by David Mitchell (the guy who wrote Cloud Atlas). My god, I love it so much, although a lot of people probably wouldn't like it as much as I do. xD Currently reading Pirate Cinama by Cory Doctorow and Accel World by Kawahara Reki.
Honest Critique
itch.io | avatar by crestforge

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

#28 Post by Fenrir34 »

I currently reading Tuesdays With Morrie for my English Class and Slammed on my own. Both are good and I'm excited to finish them. As for what I just finished, I read Elenor and Park. Beautiful book. This was something I was looking forward to reading :D

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#29 Post by Caveat Lector »

Last book I read: I ordered one of those personalized books from "Books By You" for my own personal amusement, "Fierce Moon". It was kind of silly, but I did enjoy it (I casted Agatha Christie characters :lol: ), and I might order something from them again soon. Maybe I could cast Lucius Malfoy as Ebenezer Scrooge... :twisted:

Right now: Eh, it depends. I'm working through "Turn of the Screw", but so far I'm sort of going at it slowly. It's probably partially jetlag or something. I am also going through "The Plot Whisperer Workbook" for...stuff... :wink: In general, though, I plan to work through a few ghost stories that come by.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Juneberry
Regular
Completed: One Leaf Clover
Projects: Deadly Heart

#30 Post by Juneberry »

I found a book in my room today that I plan to start reading (actually, I started it briefly, but hurt my eyes and stopped after a few pages) for personal interest, called Virtually Normal. The title interests me, and apparently the content might too, since it gives detailed info on a lot of different views of a controversial topic that's important to me. So...I'm sorta excited. And nervous about possibly getting pissed off soon xD