The last book you read or what are you reading right now?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Ghost #9
Regular
Projects: Imaginarium
Organization: AlteRealm

Re: The last book you read or what are you reading right now

#91 Post by Ghost #9 »

Shio_Fuu - You are actually the first other person I've encountered who is, despite it ostensibly being a fairly popular book (or so I was recently told). For a while, I was actually going the extra mile to look up all of the references. But, once it becomes apparent that the vast majority are completely made up...I haven't even gotten to the interestingly formatted pages yet. I am admittedly quite excited about that part. Just Nine is fine, by the way. : )

Shio_Fuu
Regular
Completed: Deadly attachment
Projects: My father's apprentice
Organization: Dotama Studio

#92 Post by Shio_Fuu »

I'm on page 115 and enjoying it so far despite the pseudoscientific language XD Thirty more pages and it's gonna get crazy with footnotes!
I especially love parts about the house! Although I would have moved out the day I noticed addtional space that can't possibly be there, it's freaky =0
Image Image Image

Boomsickle
Regular
Completed: Victorian Olives

#93 Post by Boomsickle »

Still reading Cinnamon and Gunpowder. It's a cool book about pirates and cooking with middle aged main characters. Pretty sweet deal!

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#94 Post by Katy133 »

I'm currently reading Skulduggery Pleasant: Death Bringer. I recently finished reading Sam & Max: Surfin' the Highway. They're both so funny and clever! I also really like both their cover designs.

Image Image
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#95 Post by Caveat Lector »

I'm trying to pick out a new holiday read. I'm seriously considering starting the first Game of Thrones book. The problem is, I'm also going to be doing some heavy-duty reading next semester. Do I dare...? :twisted:
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#96 Post by sasquatchii »

Caveat Lector wrote:I'm trying to pick out a new holiday read. I'm seriously considering starting the first Game of Thrones book. The problem is, I'm also going to be doing some heavy-duty reading next semester. Do I dare...? :twisted:
Yes!! The ASOIAF series is so hard to put down, and it's amazing to see how much GRRM evolves from the first book to his most recent (I believe he started writing Game of Thrones in the 90's).

The only thing I found disappointing was that the books slightly ruined the show for me. Besides spoiling it, I found that the characters and setting in the books are far more fleshed out than in the show. Not to bash David Benioff or Dan Weiss's work, I think they've a phenomenal job and have stayed amazingly true to the books. But it is impossible to capture every little detail given the time/budget constraints they have doing the show, and sometimes I find myself nitpicking at details that seem slightly off. But that's just me, I know plenty of people who enjoy both equally!
ImageImage

Ben Ayoo
Regular
Completed: The coin and the gun
Organization: Ben Studio

#97 Post by Ben Ayoo »

The gossip girl series. I have just finished the first book and going to the second. LOve it

Barzini
Regular
Projects: Seat of Power, Our Final Moments, A More Beautiful World, Forgotten, Not Lost
Organization: Afterthought Studios
Tumblr: letsafterthoughtstudios

#98 Post by Barzini »

Right now... the book I am reading... Hmm...

Let us just say...

Winter is Coming.
Founder of Afterthought Studios

Working on:
A More Beautiful World
Forgotten, Not Lost
Our Final Moments
Seat of Power

baabaa

#99 Post by baabaa »

I finished up Matched by Ally Condie a while ago so I have to read the other two books of the series.

It was a good read. Not to dramatic with a focus on character development (considering it was set in a utopia future). I do expect that to change as I read the next two books.
☆ the co-director & writer for blood calls (wip). ☆

ameliori
Veteran
Completed: Who is Mike?, Cupid
Projects: The Black Beast [Fairytale]
Organization: FERVENT
Tumblr: ameliori
itch: fervent

#100 Post by ameliori »

Last book I read was "Kafka on the Shore" By Haruki Murakami. Started out really interesting.. but kind of pewtered off in the ending. Not a total waste though. It was a nice book.
ameliori
TwitterPatreon

Shio_Fuu
Regular
Completed: Deadly attachment
Projects: My father's apprentice
Organization: Dotama Studio

#101 Post by Shio_Fuu »

I finished Hollow City, a 2nd book in Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children series, a couple of days ago and it was awful... :/ I can't believed I liked the first book. Don't recommend!
Image Image Image

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#102 Post by Caveat Lector »

Well, I've begun the first book in the Song of Ice and Fire series, Game of Thrones. I sat down to read a few more chapters while listening to some lovely music by BrunuhVille, and I didn't even realize it was over until it suddenly stopped playing. Then I went, "eh, I'm so close to the end of this chapter I'll just read a few more pages", so I did...and then realized it was 12:30. Good sign!
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#103 Post by Haze »

I finished a reread of Chain Mail: Addicted to You by Hiroshi Ishizaki. It was good, but not as good as I remember. It felt a bit short; I wish I could have learned more about the characters, especially Mai, whose whole arc felt a bit lacking and shorter than the others. This probably has to do with its lack of a solid conclusion.
Sawako's arc ends with the confrontation with Mayumi and the story told by her father. Mayumi's ended when she decided to let go of Sayuri/badminton and find her own path. But Mai's...didn't really end. It kind of ended with the book's last scene, but even that felt a little weak.

Also, Mayumi taking Sawako's character isn't really mentioned until Sawako wants to kill Mayumi because of it. If it had been mentioned earlier, it would have been better, because mentioning it so late feels like "Oh, by the way, you took my character, remember? Got to tell the audience what my motives are, you know. Time to kill you!" Unless it was mentioned earlier and I missed it somehow...?
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

Boomsickle
Regular
Completed: Victorian Olives

#104 Post by Boomsickle »

Finished reading "The Strange Library" By Haruki Murakami the same day i got it. (it's 96 pages long with half of them being full page illustrations and big text.) It's my first glimpse into his books and it was generally okay. Nothing super metaphysical but left a lot of interesting questions and food for thought. Halfway through "Is it wrong to try to pick up girls in a dungeon?" By Fujino Omori Your basic easy to read-hard to tell who is talking during a conversation with more than two people who don't have some kind of speaking mannerismnya light novel.

Kate
Regular
Projects: Blackout
Organization: Moonlight Otome

#105 Post by Kate »

Caveat Lector wrote:Well, I've begun the first book in the Song of Ice and Fire series, Game of Thrones. I sat down to read a few more chapters while listening to some lovely music by BrunuhVille, and I didn't even realize it was over until it suddenly stopped playing. Then I went, "eh, I'm so close to the end of this chapter I'll just read a few more pages", so I did...and then realized it was 12:30. Good sign!
To be honest, I've heard they are good books; but if it's anything like the show, which had
a very uncomfortable amount of explicit sex scenes, nobody warned me surprisingly enough! Maybe I am a very sheltered 20 YO???
then I don't think I am interested in reading them...unless it's really that good that I would overlook that.
Too many sex scenes makes me feel creepy, I wouldn't look in someone's windows at night so i just can't with scenes like that, lol
I'm currently reading the Hush, Hush series. My boyfriend got me the whole set of 4 in paperback for Christmas; I am in heaven. If you like kind of edgy, kind of the-world-depends-upon-one-unlikely-character-discovering-a-hidden-race kind of plot, this is the read for you. And fallen angels, and one hot yet frustrating bad boy as the mc's "sweetheart."
Current Project:
Blackout [VN][Romance][GxB][Mystery][Suspense] http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=34118
"It is the duty of authors to make the fantastic seem ordinary and the ordinary seem fantastic." - K. Auer