The last book you read or what are you reading right now?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
potouto
Veteran
Projects: (งツ)ว
Organization: MOONBBIT☆

Re: The last book you read or what are you reading right now

#106 Post by potouto »

Shio_Fuu wrote:I finished Hollow City, a 2nd book in Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children series, a couple of days ago and it was awful... :/ I can't believed I liked the first book. Don't recommend!
Oh, I just received the second book yesterday, could you tell me why it didn't worth it??

I just finished The Fault in Our Stars. Reading it later than most people equal being spoiled so, I didn't enjoy the genre very much so I couldn't like it as much as most people did but I enjoy my time using TFIOS reference to tease my friend about the ending of my game hehe

yeah well | commission | website

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#107 Post by fleet »

Currently reading "Ayesha, The Return of She" by H. Rider Haggard.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Shio_Fuu
Regular
Completed: Deadly attachment
Projects: My father's apprentice
Organization: Dotama Studio

#108 Post by Shio_Fuu »

Hey Josie! Sorry if I ruined it for you! -__-'' I just thought the characters were very flat and stereotypical (all that love stuff with the main couple made me cringe). And the story felt forced - it's like the author had all those awesome photos and the plot was just an excuse to put them into the book.
But maybe I just liked the first book too much and had high expectations! Post your review when you finish the book, I'm curious to know what you think!
Image Image Image

Dragonstar89
Regular
Projects: TBA
Organization: Self
IRC Nick: dstar89
Deviantart: senpai-jake

#109 Post by Dragonstar89 »

Last book I read was Ghosts in the Fog.

It's a non-fiction book about the Japanese Invasion on the Kiska islands of Alaska during WWII. It was really awesome, couldn't put it down. Highly recommend it for history lovers.
Beginning pre-production work on a project in Renpy. After being away for 5 years, it's time to get back in the game 8)

moonlightmaiden

#110 Post by moonlightmaiden »

Let's see... I think the last book I read was If I Stay by Gayle Forman, which made me happy to read because of the fact that the main character plays the cello and has decent music references. Then there was the overall relationship feels as I'm just so empathetic.

But now I'm in a lull and need to decide what to read next from my little pile of books, especially since goodreads nudged me to make a reading goal for the year. I chose to put 12 books (one a month) for the year. Really hoping I reach at least that goal!

Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

#111 Post by Shinoki »

What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang. I haven't read a physical book in a while, but it was good. The concept was interesting--two souls in one body, a hybrid, and the government hunting them down and etc.

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#112 Post by Haze »

Shinoki wrote:What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang. I haven't read a physical book in a while, but it was good. The concept was interesting--two souls in one body, a hybrid, and the government hunting them down and etc.
Oh, I read that book a while ago! I felt like it was alright, and that it got worse towards the end. There's a sequel if you're interested, though I haven't read it since I didn't like the first book.

As for me, I'm reading A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray. Please note my following comments contain mild spoilers, ones you learn in the beginning of the story. Now, the story starts in medias res. The whole point of starting in medias res in any story is to get straight into the action. However, (1) it doesn't really do that(the story kind of gives you a jolt with the protag[can't remember her name, and I read over 100 pages of the book yesterday...that's a bad sign] writing "Kill Paul Markov" on the wall, but that's about it), and (2) the second chapter starts with an exposition dump that goes on for 10 pages or so. Both of these things leave the in medias res meaningless. The story also centers around a love triangle...*sigh*. Why do so many books aimed at teens have to have a love triangle/love plot?! I will say that the amount of swearing in this book is extremely scarce, so that's good, I suppose. I'll probably say all of my thoughts in this thread once I finish the book.

I'm also reading "When the Emperor was Divine" by Julie Otsuka. It's alright, but the subtlety and lack of names, things the book was undoubtedly praised for, can make it boring at times. I was tempted to put it down, but then the thing with the dog happened(if you've read the book, you know what I'm talking about), and I ended up reading 30 more pages or so. Might say my thoughts on that one, too, when I finish it.

Oh, and I got a Kindle for Christmas(well, I got it about 2 weeks after Christmas...as a Christmas present...yeah)! Any ebook exclusives you guys recommend?
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

Shio_Fuu
Regular

#113 Post by Shio_Fuu »

Last books I read were The ghost bride by Yangsze Choo and Blue lily, lily blue by Maggie Stiefvater. I liked them both a lot!
The Raven Cycle is one of my favourite young adult series right now, I love all characters (especially Adam Parrish, my baby :3 )
The ghost bride is beautifully written and felt very original to me. Now I really want to read a collection of chinese myths, any recommendations? :)
Image Image Image

Kingv
Veteran
Projects: Pet Tails, Transformation Sequence, Cheer On!
Tumblr: EphemeralBalance
Deviantart: kingv

#114 Post by Kingv »

Shio_Fuu wrote:Last books I read were The ghost bride by Yangsze Choo and Blue lily, lily blue by Maggie Stiefvater. I liked them both a lot!
The Raven Cycle is one of my favourite young adult series right now, I love all characters (especially Adam Parrish, my baby :3 )
The ghost bride is beautifully written and felt very original to me. Now I really want to read a collection of chinese myths, any recommendations? :)
I just got "The Ghost Bride" and totally forgot about it til I read your post. I'll have to make time to read it. If you're a fan of Chinese mythology I'd recommend reading "Peony in Love" by Lisa See. Has awesome descriptions of the afterlife and the whole story took a rather unexpected turn. Definitely didn't see it coming!
I just finished "Shelters of Stone" by Jean M. Auel. I'm determined to finish the series but the books are rather old so makes it hard to find in stores.

Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

#115 Post by Shinoki »

Haze wrote:
Shinoki wrote:What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang. I haven't read a physical book in a while, but it was good. The concept was interesting--two souls in one body, a hybrid, and the government hunting them down and etc.
Oh, I read that book a while ago! I felt like it was alright, and that it got worse towards the end. There's a sequel if you're interested, though I haven't read it since I didn't like the first book.

Oh, and I got a Kindle for Christmas(well, I got it about 2 weeks after Christmas...as a Christmas present...yeah)! Any ebook exclusives you guys recommend?
Yea, I agree that the book got a little worse at the end, but I couldn't quite put a finger on where that feeling came from. I'll read the sequel--pretty sure it'll be in my school library. Thanks for telling.

I don't own a Kindle, but if you like anime and stuff, there's surprisingly manga and light novels that are available though the translations aren't always the best from the reviews I've seen.

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#116 Post by Morhighan »

The Art of Asking: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Let People Help -- by Amanda Palmer

It's been brilliant so far. It delves right into issues that I have faced, and talks about how to deal with said issues.

For instance, I've been worried about audience for my game lately. Here is a passage that really struck me, since I've been trying to figure out audience issues.
“Dita Von Teese, a star in the contemporary burlesque scene, once recounted something she’d learned in her early days stripping in LA. Her colleagues—bleach-blond dancers with fake tans, Brazilian wax jobs, and neon bikinis—would strip bare naked for an audience of fifty guys in the club and be tipped a dollar by each guy. Dita would take the stage wearing satin gloves, a corset, and a tutu, and do a sultry striptease down to her underwear, confounding the crowd. And then, though forty-nine guys would ignore her, one would tip her fifty dollars.
That man, Dita said, was her audience.”
Hit me right like a brick to the face. Thank you, Amanda.

Shio_Fuu
Regular

#117 Post by Shio_Fuu »

@Kingv thank you! I'm very interested in Chinese concept of afterlife, will definitely read it!
Image Image Image

moonlightmaiden

#118 Post by moonlightmaiden »

Kingv wrote: If you're a fan of Chinese mythology I'd recommend reading "Peony in Love" by Lisa See.
You have just reminded me that I have "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" by Lisa See that I can read! And that I really should buy that book as well. I've been interested in her work overall ever since I looked her up after seeing the movie for "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan." I just really have a soft spot for various Asian mythology and culture.

potouto
Veteran
Projects: (งツ)ว
Organization: MOONBBIT☆

#119 Post by potouto »

I think I need to sit down and rethink after finishing Gone Girl, it wasn't too bad as a story but then again, it raised many questions for me with the ending. Nonetheless, I will put it aside and continue on Because She Loves Me by Mark Edwards...
Right after I'm done with Three Days of Hapiness.

yeah well | commission | website

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#120 Post by Taleweaver »

Over Christmas, I read Worm, which is a superhero web serial about the length of ten traditional novels. It's dark, it's gripping, it has good people doing terrible things for the sake of improving the world, and it has the most unlikely set of superpowers wielded by the most likable and relatable bunch of people in young adult fiction. Ever.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira