The last book you read or what are you reading right now?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Shio_Fuu
Regular
Completed: Deadly attachment
Projects: My father's apprentice
Organization: Dotama Studio

The last book you read or what are you reading right now?

#1 Post by Shio_Fuu »

I noticed there's no topic for books discussion and it makes me sad :( I think, books have quite a lot in common with visual novels. Maybe even more than manga and anime?

The last book I read was Daylight Saving by Edward Hogan. I liked the premise, but in fact it turned out to be very mediocre.
Now I started reading A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness and I love it so far! I think it's gonna make me cry :cry:
I read Walking Chaos trilogy by the same writer and it was amazing! Especially the first book, it felt very original to me.

If you're on goodreads, feel free to add me to friends, I'll add you back! I love talking about books. https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/5047242-shio-fuu

Really hope this topic isn't against the rules!
Image Image Image

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

Re: The last book you read or what are you reading right now

#2 Post by Caveat Lector »

I'm reading Saturday by Ian McEwan for English. Before that, I was halfway through Mockingjay, but that's been put on hold until school is done.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Enokiiii

#3 Post by Enokiiii »

The last book I read was Battle Magic by Tamora Pierce.

My overall feeling for the book was that it was alright, but that it's mainly my love for Tamora Pierce books and the characters in the series that made me enjoy it. As a stand alone, however, I wouldn't say that it was stellar.

DeletedUser160413

#4 Post by DeletedUser160413 »

I'm currently reading The Litigators by John Grisham :)

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#5 Post by Haze »

I'm currently reading Dualed by Elsie Chapman, because I remember not really liking it the 1st time I read it. The main reason for this is that the book tries to juggle 3 subplots at once:
The protag's sudden new romantic relationship with a friend, the protag's sudden new job as an assassin, and the protag's sudden new assignment to kill her Alt- a "twin" that is also trying to kill the protag while the protag's trying to kill her.
Unfortunately, well, let's just say that the plots aren't juggled very well, if I remember correctly. Maybe I'll post my opinion on it here when I'm done.

I recently finished Daisy Miller by Henry James. It was quite good, although I really hated Daisy Miller by the time I finished Chapter 3 rolled around(which may have been the author's intent).
Concerning Daisy's death at the end, I personally think that she had become suicidal because of being ostracized from the rest of the "high class" society and because of the fact she couldn't possibly marry the Italian she spent so much time with. Just my opinion, though.
It's quite a work of art. Seriously people, if you get a chance, read Daisy Miller- my copy was only 64 pages(not counting intros and appendixes and such); it doesn't even take long to read.
Now I started reading A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness and I love it so far! I think it's gonna make me cry :cry:
Oh, yes! A Monster Calls is a wonderful book; I read it myself about...a year ago? A year and a half ago? It's been a while.
When the protag(can't remember his name; it's been so long!) destroyed the place in the monster's story and then discovered he had also destroyed his house, I actually stopped reading for a bit to just say "Wow". That part was nothing short of amazing.
Rest assured, you will cry. The last page...my goodness. That made me cry. Heck, I'm getting sad just thinking about it.

Man, now I just want to start talking about all the amazing books I've read over the years. Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime by Mizuki Nomura? Read it three times in a row; I'm still yet to get the last book in the series. Can't wait 'till I get enough time/money. Sharon Draper's Panic shows with stark honesty the plight of a kidnapped girl and how her friends cope, along with their own personal troubles. Javen's poetry collections, and the illustrations beside them, are amazingly beautiful, and just slightly bittersweet.

Books just make me smile, even if they make me cry.

Yeah, I think I'll say my opinion on Dualed when I finish it. Would that be ok? Also, could I possibly talk about my favorite book here? I haven't read it recently, though, so that's why I want to ask first.
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

Shio_Fuu
Regular
Completed: Deadly attachment
Projects: My father's apprentice
Organization: Dotama Studio

#6 Post by Shio_Fuu »

@Haze I think we can use this topic to discuss any books we've read (as long as no one stops us :D)

I'm halfway through A Monster Calls and it's already heartbreaking... I kinda like these type of books though :roll: Good stories usually make you cry.

Dualed sounds interesting but I'm mostly trying to avoid young adult books with female protagonist, they overuse star-crossed lovers theme :/
There're very controversial reviews for this book, it's difficult to judge if it's any good. So please share your opinion after you finish!

Speaking about my favourite book, I can't choose only one! It's important that a book feels original to me and stirs some emotions.
Right now I have an urge to reread Tell the Wolves I'm Home. It's a wonderful book and beautifully written, I highly recommend it!
Image Image Image

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#7 Post by mugenjohncel »

I don't normally read books as often as I want due to time constraints but I am planning to read what's inside this book once my copy arrived out of curiosity...
Oh by the way, the cover art that is made by yours truly... :mrgreen:
http://www.fountainbluepublishing.com/s ... _What.html

"POOF" (Disappears)

Kensela
Regular

#8 Post by Kensela »

Does fanfiction count :lol: because I don't remember the last time I read an actual book that wasn't a text book for school.

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

#9 Post by Asceai »

I'm one of those 'reads textbooks for fun' types myself, so if I can't count Nicolai Josuttis's "The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference - Second Edition" then I can't even think of the last book I read.

imheeerrreee

#10 Post by imheeerrreee »

Last book I read was Allegiant by Veronica Roth, book 3 in the Divergent series. Best book EVAH. :mrgreen:

Raithfyre
Regular
Completed: Highway Blossoms, Heart of the Woods
Projects: Highway Blossoms: Next Exit, Samayuuni, ???
Organization: Studio Élan
IRC Nick: raithfyre
Tumblr: considerrewordingthis

#11 Post by Raithfyre »

Reading a lot of children's literature for a class lately; last thing I finished was "Flora and Ulysses" by Kate DiCamillo. I really recommend it to anyone into charming, silly stories. It's about a self-diagnosed cynic (she's 10) and a squirrel who gains superpowers after he's sucked up by a vacuum cleaner.

Cobweb
Projects: My Father's Apprentice
IRC Nick: Cobweb

#12 Post by Cobweb »

Raithfyre wrote:It's about a self-diagnosed cynic (she's 10) and a squirrel who gains superpowers after he's sucked up by a vacuum cleaner.
Now that sounds like my kind of story!

I'm currently reading Great Expectations and I have been for weeks because I can't manage to stay awake. I'm an English and Creative Writing graduate with book narcolepsy.
Quite possibly a spider.

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#13 Post by Haze »

Dualed sounds interesting but I'm mostly trying to avoid young adult books with female protagonist, they overuse star-crossed lovers theme :/
I knooow, right? It can be a little annoying, trying to find a book where a girl, as the main character, doesn't get/really like a guy by the end. Panic, a book I mentioned earlier, does use this them a little bit, but it's more about the character involved leaving an abusive boyfriend and accepting the love she deserves than it is about finding a guy. I actually really liked that book.
There're very controversial reviews for this book, it's difficult to judge if it's any good. So please share your opinion after you finish!
Alright, here's my review for Dualed! Finished the book yesterday, thanks to a long car trip. Please note: I happen to have an advanced reader's copy, which means it hasn't been looked at by an editor. As a result, my copy might be slightly different from a copy you buy from a bookstore or borrow from the library.

Warning: will contain mild spoilers(i.e events that occur in the first couple chapters). Major spoilers will be marked.

As I said before, the main problem with this book is that it tried to juggle 3 subplots at once:

1.The protag(West Grayer) taking a new job as an assassin.
2.West suddenly starting to like a childhood friend, Chord.
3.West being assigned to kill her Alt- a twin that's trying to kill West, as well.

More on subplot 3: between the ages of 10 and 20, a person is told to kill their Alt, which is like a twin. The reason for this is like "survival of the fittest"- whichever person lives is seen as the one worthy of going on to marry, have kids, etc. The big problem with this is that EVERYONE living in the city over 20 years old has killed their mirror image. This could have some interesting psychological affects, because killing your twin can be a bit like killing yourself, but none of that is ever explored. Everything is chalked up to "kill or be killed", which seems to be why no one feels guilty about murdering their Alt.

Now, while these subplots could be an interesting mix, they're not juggled very well, and some aren't given enough time to be believable. For example, subplot 1(West=assassin), is only vaguely brought up after subplot 3 comes into the spotlight. Also, the reason West takes a job as an assassin in the first place is because of the excellent weapons training she'll get, which she views as something that will help her kill her Alt. However, none of this training is EVER seen or brought up. The only "training" brought up at all is a flashback of West practicing throwing knives with her brothers. Not to mention the person who gave her the tip on who to go to about becoming an assassin is a weapons teacher. If West wanted the training so badly, why couldn't she have just asked him to give her some private, after school training?
Also, it's hinted that West quits her assassin job at the end, due to this line: "No more life or death...at least not for me. I've got a different job now." So, if she quits her job, then what was the point of having it in the first place?! It's barely brought up after West is told to kill her Alt! So whyyyy?!
Also, subplot 2(West=in love) isn't brought up enough to be believable. There's a couple of reasons for this: first, they've been friends for years, and they're suddenly falling in love now? Granted, West's life is on the line, but still...Second, Chord's Alt kills West's brother right at the beginning of the book. So, West's childhood friend--well, his exact double--kills her last living family member. Wouldn't this halt any feelings she potentially had for him? Furthermore, this death is only brought up a grand total of once after the brother's funeral scene. It seems to have only occurred so (1) West could have (very brief) angst and (2) West can get her brother's gun, which she uses a lot throughout the story. And, honestly, West liking Chord seems to only be in the story because romance sells; their "love" feels so forced and unbelievable.

Any one of these subplots could've been taken out, and the story would've been better for it(although the book would need some parts rewritten). Here's what you get is you take out subplot...

1. This would leave liking Chord and having to kill her Alt. So, the story would be something like this: West Grayer is a girl with many troubles: her entire family is dead, and she's dreadfully awaiting for the day she'll be forced to kill, a day she knows may soon come. Thankfully, she still has her childhood friend Chord--someone she both draws close to and pushes away, thanks to the fact his Alt took away the last family member she had left. But when it comes time to kill her own Alt, will she be able to do it? Or will Chord have to step in and give her the courage she lacks?

2. My personal favorite, this would leave being an assassin and killing the Alt. So, the story could be something like this: As a recently recruited assassin, West Grayer faces death every time she's hired. Sure, it's tough, but the money--and the weapons training--the job gives her is invaluable. However, when West is assigned to kill her Alt--an exact lookalike--will everything she's learned as an assassin be enough? Or will West be unable to kill her double? (Note: this would work better if West has been an assassin since before the beginning of the story--it would make her have killed more people, become numbed by all the deaths, but still be vulnerable to not being able to kill someone who looks exactly like her.)

3. This would leave being an assassin and liking Chord. Obviously, since killing the Alt is the main part of the story this would require a major rewrite. In the end, though, I think the story would sound something like this: Being an assassin isn't the easiest job in the world, but, day by day, West Grayer has gotten used to it. She loves the amazing weapons training the job gives her, and the money she gets is more than any other job she's ever had. However, her childhood friend, Chord, thinks the job hurts her more than the people she murders. He's seen the way she enjoys the kills, the excited gleam in her eye she gets after a job. Will he be able to convince her to stop doing this? Or will she become a monster, someone not even he can get to anymore?

Another complaint I have is that the reason for Alts, and the "survival of the fittest" motif, is never really explained. I would have appreciated at least some hints throughout the story, but I haven't seen any. My guess is that the book takes place in a post-apocalyptic world, but I don't know that for sure.

Also, everyone has weird names for what seems to be no reason. I mean, West? Chord? Ehm? Glade? Honestly, the most normal name in the book is "Luc", and I have no idea is it's pronounced like "Luke" or "Luck"(probably the former).

Furthermore, there's some very annoying flash forwards near the beginning of the book. There's an unspecified amount of time between the end of Chapter 3 and Chapter 4. Instead of flashing forward, the author could have placed a chapter here where West gets some assassin training or something, which, as I mentioned before, is said but never shown. There's about twenty days between the end of Chapter 4 and Chapter 5. This flash forward is completely unnecessary, and it seems to only be there to give West less time to kill her Alt.
And the time pressure doesn't even feel like time pressure, since West kills her Alt with FOUR DAYS TO SPARE, if I'm not mistaken.
So, overall, I can't give a positive recommendation to this book. It doesn't do a good job with its 3 subplots, and the main guy in the book isn't given enough attention to be believable, among other things. If the subplots had been given more attention, the book might have been better, but the author did the exact opposite by giving 2 out of 3 subplots not enough attention.

Apparently, there's a sequel coming out soon call Divided. Maybe I'll given it a look, just to see if it does a better job.
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

Eiliya
Regular

#14 Post by Eiliya »

Last Light Novel Read: Toaru Majutsu no Index - New Testament, Volume 9
Last Actual Book Read: Wheel of Time - Memory of Light

Seriously looking forward to the next volume of Index. As for WoT, it was a long, long road, but in the end, I think it was really worth it.

ShojiAmasawa
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes Of The Codex War, [ASH] the Seeds of Destruction
Projects: Cult of the Lily (18+)
Organization: PaperDoor Studios
Tumblr: paperdoorstudios
Deviantart: ShojiAmasawa
Soundcloud: Greyberry

#15 Post by ShojiAmasawa »

Currently reading my signed copy of Tokyo Demons by Lianne Sentar. I picked it up at a comic show in Toronto last year, and have been reading it quite slowly. On the side, I am also reading the first Garden of Sinners novel, by Kinoko Nasu.