The last book you read or what are you reading right now?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Kingv
Veteran
Projects: Pet Tails, Transformation Sequence, Cheer On!
Tumblr: EphemeralBalance
Deviantart: kingv

Re: The last book you read or what are you reading right now

#121 Post by Kingv »

moonlightmaiden wrote:
Kingv wrote: If you're a fan of Chinese mythology I'd recommend reading "Peony in Love" by Lisa See.
You have just reminded me that I have "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" by Lisa See that I can read! And that I really should buy that book as well. I've been interested in her work overall ever since I looked her up after seeing the movie for "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan." I just really have a soft spot for various Asian mythology and culture.
I really loved "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan"! The book is 10x better than the film in my opinion. But one difference is that the book takes place entirely in old China whereas the movie skipped between that time period and the modern day. It's also very graphic, especially in it's depiction of foot binding, but if you're not terribly squeamish it's nothing you couldn't handle. I'd also recommend reading "Shanghai Girls" and "Dreams of Joy" by Lisa See as well. Great books set in the 1930s and shows the struggle of Chinese immigrants very well.

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#122 Post by Haze »

Shinoki wrote:I don't own a Kindle, but if you like anime and stuff, there's surprisingly manga and light novels that are available though the translations aren't always the best from the reviews I've seen.
I've read a couple of light novels-- namely the Book Girl series and Sword Art Online. The Book Girl series is quite good, though I haven't read the last book yet. Sword Art Online started out alright...then came the fanservice scene. *sighs* Also, Asuna(I think that was the girl's name) starts out as a fine character, but barely does anything after the trip to the fishing village.
And speaking of that trip, the characters getting married felt really awkward for me...
Anyways, I finished A Thousand Pieces of You, and I surprised myself by liking it. Yeah, you heard me.

The story is pretty cohesive, and it holds itself up so well I didn't mind the love triangle too much. Plus, the romance between Markov/the guy from the original dimension(not going to say his name. Small spoiler, there) and Marguerette(yes, that's the protag's name...I'm probably spelling it wrong.) is fleshed out so well that I could understand it. Like I said, cohesive.
The main problems with it were the in medias res, like I mentioned before, Theo, who only seems to be in the story so a love triangle can commence--though I have to admit the brother-to-Paul thing was very well done, I really don't think Theo was integral to the story. However, if Josie, Marguerette's sister, had gone with her instead, the sub scene would've played out differently, but the only big change would be that, instead of Paul rescuing Theo, it probably would've been Marguerette rescuing Josie--and Triad's master plan. Oh, I have HUGE problems with the plan.

Triad uses this thing on Marguerette so she can slip through dimensions easier and not have to be reminded "I'm Marguerette from that other dimension, not this one". They plan to use her in order to travel between different dimensions at will or something like that. My big question is WHY DIDN"T THE EVIL CEO OF TRIAD JUST USE THIS DEVICE ON HIMSELF?! I mean, you're planning to use it on the girl and then use her?! That's complicated, and kind of dumb--how to you know she'll do what you say after hearing "Do this for me, and no one gets hurt"?! Seriously, that plan just borders on idiotic.

I liked how Triad is still kind of a looming threat at the end of the book, though. It didn't just up and disappear. If there isn't a sequel in which Triad tries to do the various things it said it wants to do, then I'm calling foul.
One other little nitpick: I didn't like the title. "A Thousand Pieces of You" make no sense in the story proper. Is it referring to the various "yous" in different dimensions(No, I'm not sure if it is. The title was never explained or brought up). Because if it is, I think "Every Marguerette" would've been a better title because (1) it's a pretty nice title drop and (2) it makes sense in the story. Just saying.
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#123 Post by YossarianIII »

Super excited to see all the people posting Haruki Murakami in this thread. He is pretty much the best, Wind-Up Bird Chronicles in particular.

Currently in the middle of the pop-sci nonfiction book Godel, Escher, Bach. The book itself is good, but the best part is that it came from a used book sale and the previous owner was insane. He wrote crazy, quasi-philosphical annotations in pencil in all of the margins to go along with the text and often violently disagrees with the author. Also, he describes himself on one page as "a hard-drinking, hard-partying Gypsy mother****er"... who apparently also has a strong opinions on cognitive science?

Image Image

Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

#124 Post by Shinoki »

Haze wrote:
Shinoki wrote:I don't own a Kindle, but if you like anime and stuff, there's surprisingly manga and light novels that are available though the translations aren't always the best from the reviews I've seen.
I've read a couple of light novels-- namely the Book Girl series and Sword Art Online. The Book Girl series is quite good, though I haven't read the last book yet. Sword Art Online started out alright...then came the fanservice scene. *sighs* Also, Asuna(I think that was the girl's name) starts out as a fine character, but barely does anything after the trip to the fishing village.
I agree. Asuna starts out as a good character... and then slowly and slowly, she gets overshadowed by Kiriboy's growing harem that he doesn't seem to acknowledge. Good thing: SAO volume 7, Mother's Rosario gives Asuna a main role. Bad thing: Afterwards, she seems to go back to... being totally minor.

(Random note about Kindle stuff since I've seen a few people who like Higurashi/Umineko, it seems that you can get the Higurashi manga and Umineko manga on Kindle. According to amazon as I don't have a kindle to try to purchase it.)

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#125 Post by Caveat Lector »

I finished re-reading The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. Damn, that's an excellent book!

Now I'm off to The Body in the Library. The first chapter is almost like a black comedy sketch. :lol:
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Shio_Fuu
Regular
Completed: Deadly attachment
Projects: My father's apprentice
Organization: Dotama Studio

#126 Post by Shio_Fuu »

Yesterday I finished Fifteen lives of Harry August. The first half of the book was a little bit boring, but the second half when Vincent is introduced is amazing! Don't want to spoil anyone but that ending broke my heart :cry:
Image Image Image

agentyoda
Regular

#127 Post by agentyoda »

The books i've been reading probably won't fit into the conversation so well, but...

If you've ever heard of the British author G.K. Chesterton (~1920's prime time), he's incredible. His wit is fantastic. He was a journalist and prolific writer; he had a ton of hilarious, great works. Among them: Orthodoxy, The Man Who Was Thursday, What's Wrong with the World, the Father Brown detective short stories and others.

I recommend the first two heartily. They're public domain now.

ZennyZenZen
Regular
Projects: Perfection Project
Deviantart: omgimawriter
Github: ZenNaari

#128 Post by ZennyZenZen »

Right now i'm listening to the Audio Book

"The God Delusion."

Anyone out there likes Richard Dawkins?

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta

#129 Post by YossarianIII »

I really liked Dawkins's "The Blind Watchmaker."

I also like the juxtaposition of Dawkins coming right after GK Chesterton. :) Two writers with very different worldviews... While I haven't read any Chesterton, I've heard he's similar to and probably an influence on Hitchcock, who is one of my all-time favorites in film. May have to check him out...

Image Image

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#130 Post by Caveat Lector »

I'm actually reading a few Father Brown short stories right now for a course. I really enjoy the witty narration, and Father Brown's compassion.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

agentyoda
Regular

#131 Post by agentyoda »

Hilaire Belloc, a friend of G.K. Chesterton, also has high quality writing; his book on Heresies is excellent. In addition, he has great humor, though not as hilarious as GK, in my opinion. Check out the title of his children's book: Matilda Who told Lies, and was Burned to Death

ZennyZenZen
Regular

#132 Post by ZennyZenZen »

YossarianIII wrote:I really liked Dawkins's "The Blind Watchmaker."

I also like the juxtaposition of Dawkins coming right after GK Chesterton. :) Two writers with very different worldviews... While I haven't read any Chesterton, I've heard he's similar to and probably an influence on Hitchcock, who is one of my all-time favorites in film. May have to check him out...
I'm going to have to put those on the list then. Although I kinda want to listen to "The Selfish Gene" first.

I read a few intro pages of a few Christopher Hitchens books but Dawkins' works seem a bit more readable to me. Know any Hitchens' books that are nice?

YossarianIII
Veteran

#133 Post by YossarianIII »

I read a few intro pages of a few Christopher Hitchens books but Dawkins' works seem a bit more readable to me. Know any Hitchens' books that are nice?
If you're into the (anti-)religious stuff, I've heard Hitchens's Mother Theresa book is a quick read and... contrarian, to say the least. Funny title, too...

In a related but slightly different genre, it's impossible to say enough good things about Carl Sagan. He is a little cheesier, which might be what I like about him, and really just brought such joy to all the things he wrote, "Cosmos" being one of the big ones.

Image Image

ZennyZenZen
Regular

#134 Post by ZennyZenZen »

YossarianIII wrote:If you're into the (anti-)religious stuff, I've heard Hitchens's Mother Theresa book is a quick read and... contrarian, to say the least. Funny title, too...

In a related but slightly different genre, it's impossible to say enough good things about Carl Sagan. He is a little cheesier, which might be what I like about him, and really just brought such joy to all the things he wrote, "Cosmos" being one of the big ones.
It's not that I'm into anti-religion books. I became an atheist a few months ago and I want to be very intellectual about this transition.

Other than that. I rarely read books at all. For a while I was into smut written by Selena Kitt. I was also into this series called 'The Flirting Games.' But I rarely ever read books. I was more into writing my own stories and I feel entertained reading them.

krakkenchaos
Tumblr: krakkencontent

#135 Post by krakkenchaos »

I'm reading a book called Freak of Nature by Julia Crane. I got it for free in the kindle store and it's the first in a trilogy. Sometimes it reeks of teen romance clichés, but sometimes it's thought-provoking and intense. It's about a girl whose body is turned into a cyborg after she dies, but she still retains some emotions.