Visual novel or webcomic?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
VNQuality
Regular

Visual novel or webcomic?

#1 Post by VNQuality »

I have a plot for which I want to implement one of the two products. The fact that the story might offend certain social group and a bearded muslim cut off my head.
So, a question: on what product I can earn money while maintaining maximum anonymity?

I maximize all veiled, but still, in the end a very strong archetype still be traced.

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

Re: Visual novel or webcomic?

#2 Post by Asceai »

A webcomic you could run ads on and get the domain details made private through a service (all my domains are like this.)
I dunno if you can sell a vn without ever revealing your identity. Other people who sell their works may know more about this.

VNQuality
Regular

#3 Post by VNQuality »

Asceai wrote:A webcomic you could run ads on and get the domain details made private through a service (all my domains are like this.)
I dunno if you can sell a vn without ever revealing your identity. Other people who sell their works may know more about this.
Besides advertising I want to set "Pay as you want" system for each chapter, as well as making a donation. If you exceed the average amount you can get some bonuses.

But I do not know yet how to make sure that the personal information does not pass through the second hand.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by DaFool »

I don't really think you should be combining a political agenda with making money.

If you're registered on a sales channel, the app store will disclose your identity.

As for VN vs comic, ask your artist first.

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#5 Post by Greeny »

This is just my personal opinion, but if it's something you're not willing to take personal responsibility for, maybe it's something you shouldn't be doing in the first place.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

VNQuality
Regular

#6 Post by VNQuality »

DaFool wrote:I don't really think you should be combining a political agenda with making money.

If you're registered on a sales channel, the app store will disclose your identity.

As for VN vs comic, ask your artist first.
Well, you know, to live I need the money. I would really like to work for an idea, if not needed food and shelter. I can't get rid of needs differently. Otherwise i'll have to lay out two pages per month, and all the rest of the time is freelancing. As a result, it lose all meaning.
Greeny wrote:This is just my personal opinion, but if it's something you're not willing to take personal responsibility for, maybe it's something you shouldn't be doing in the first place.
Well, I don't want to avoid responsibility. These just a good chance to lose my head.

Probably it is necessary complete a web-comics, and then make a censored version of the VN, if I live till then.

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#7 Post by Greeny »

Well, I don't want to avoid responsibility. These just a good chance to lose my head.
Uhm... I'm finding that hard to believe, but even if it's a work that'll make someone want to chop off your head you'd still be the one responsible for it.

Either way I can guarantee one thing: It is impossible to make money anonymously. Not without jumping through hoops. Shady, illegal hoops.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#8 Post by Taleweaver »

DaFool wrote:I don't really think you should be combining a political agenda with making money.
Political comedy/satire isn't necessarily the same as having a political agenda. Material like "Achmed the dead terrorist" (look it up on youtube, I'm not linking it here) could work both as a webcomic and a VN, though if you're planning to go commercial, a webcomic will reach a wider target audience.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#9 Post by trooper6 »

If anonymity is of utmost importance, I recommend making that story for free. If making a living off of being a VN/web comic creator is of utmost importance, I recommend spending most of your time making a different game. A game that you are certain is going to make a bunch of people upset enough that they want to kill you will probably turn off other people as well (for example, I'm not Muslim, but I would not pay money for an Islamophobic/Homophobic/Sexist/etc game, and if a creator made an Islamophobic/Homophobic/Sexist/etc game I wouldn't buy anything by them ever). Which means it may be of limited commercial value anyway.

The reality of the market is that not a lot of web comics/VN creators make enough money to pay for food and rent, so if your goal is to make a full time living off of this, you might want to focus on stories that are more commercially viable and less likely to alienate your consumer base--you can still create your game insulting (I assume) Muslims that you are passionate about, but do that on your off time or wait until you've made enough money on your commercially successful games to pay your food and rent and give you a bit of a cushion so you can dedicate some time to an insulting game without worrying about finances.

Things to ponder:
You might want to contact Lostwood Games for advice. They are also located in the Russian Federation. Their game Leviathan: Last Days of the Decade includes some content about homosexuality which could get them arrested, so they may have some insight about security and anonymity for people in Russia. That said, a game with light discussion of homosexuality in a positive way is different that a game that plans on insulting people on entire religion...so their situation may be different than yours.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

VNQuality
Regular

#10 Post by VNQuality »

trooper6 wrote:If anonymity is of utmost importance, I recommend making that story for free. If making a living off of being a VN/web comic creator is of utmost importance, I recommend spending most of your time making a different game. A game that you are certain is going to make a bunch of people upset enough that they want to kill you will probably turn off other people as well (for example, I'm not Muslim, but I would not pay money for an Islamophobic/Homophobic/Sexist/etc game, and if a creator made an Islamophobic/Homophobic/Sexist/etc game I wouldn't buy anything by them ever). Which means it may be of limited commercial value anyway.

The reality of the market is that not a lot of web comics/VN creators make enough money to pay for food and rent, so if your goal is to make a full time living off of this, you might want to focus on stories that are more commercially viable and less likely to alienate your consumer base--you can still create your game insulting (I assume) Muslims that you are passionate about, but do that on your off time or wait until you've made enough money on your commercially successful games to pay your food and rent and give you a bit of a cushion so you can dedicate some time to an insulting game without worrying about finances.

Things to ponder:
You might want to contact Lostwood Games for advice. They are also located in the Russian Federation. Their game Leviathan: Last Days of the Decade includes some content about homosexuality which could get them arrested, so they may have some insight about security and anonymity for people in Russia. That said, a game with light discussion of homosexuality in a positive way is different that a game that plans on insulting people on entire religion...so their situation may be different than yours.
The fact that I do not plan to insult someone. Just in the end, it does not turn to avoid it. But this is no reason for that to bury our heads in the sand.

As planned, it should be science fiction, where the increases conflict between the latest scientific discoveries and obscurantism.

My goal is not just Muslims. The fact that the probability of exactly what fans of "religion of peace" will be dissatisfied is extremely high.

And I do not understand what it means to "Islamophobia." Maybe I don't into it at all, but you can't just make the prefix "phobia" wherever someone does not like something. It works the same in both directions and the same applies.

Everything can be criticized, especially ideologies that are barbaric, even after so many years.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by DaFool »

A work, especially one by a single writer with a strong author's voice, will always reveal the prejudices of that person. Of course it's easier for that person to be given a pass if they're on the side that is currently politically correct. (e.g. hypothetically a black homosexual woman writing a story where all the white heterosexual male characters are portrayed as terrible humans).

There's nothing that can be done except just write away anyway and brace for the flak. No matter the subject matter you will always find someone to love your work and another who is absolutely repulsed by it.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#12 Post by trooper6 »

VNQuality wrote: And I do not understand what it means to "Islamophobia." Maybe I don't into it at all, but you can't just make the prefix "phobia" wherever someone does not like something. It works the same in both directions and the same applies.

Everything can be criticized, especially ideologies that are barbaric, even after so many years.
I didn't make up the term Islamophobia. It is an actual word. As dictionary.com notes:
Islamophobia (ˌɪzlɑːməˈfəʊbɪə) — n
hatred or fear of Muslims or of their politics or culture
Anyway, you calling Islam barbaric, and putting religion of peace in quotation marks indicates that you know full well you are going to be insulting muslim people. I find your comment "I do not plan to insult someone" disingenuous.

You know that you are planning to write something that is insulting, that is why you want to do it anonymously....that is the whole point of this thread.

My answer is that you can write something that is Islamophobic and you can do it anonymously...but I don't think you can earn money off of it and be 100% sure you can keep your anonymity. So my advice is to do your game critiquing Islam anonymously for free--this way you can be sure that it doesn't get back to your real life identity.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

VNQuality
Regular

#13 Post by VNQuality »

trooper6 wrote: I didn't make up the term Islamophobia. It is an actual word. As dictionary.com notes:
Islamophobia (ˌɪzlɑːməˈfəʊbɪə) — n
hatred or fear of Muslims or of their politics or culture
This does not apply so literally. This definition assumes unwarranted a pejorative connotation, especially in conjunction with sexism, racism or homophobia. What, in fact, very easy to use. But this is still better than when critics of Islam irrationally called racists.

trooper6 wrote:Anyway, you calling Islam barbaric, and putting religion of peace in quotation marks indicates that you know full well you are going to be insulting muslim people. I find your comment "I do not plan to insult someone" disingenuous.
It means only that I provide for various options for the future. In my scenario, there is no mention of Islam or any other religion.

None of sane people reading this will not see in this story Islamophobia. This is possible only when a person came with the intention of finding exactly the aforementioned.
trooper6 wrote:You know that you are planning to write something that is insulting, that is why you want to do it anonymously....that is the whole point of this thread.
Well, I'm more afraid of what my head can be cut than arson mailbox. And the only reason I singled out Muslims as a separate group.
If something threatened my property, instead life, then I would not worry about the anonymity.

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#14 Post by Rinima »

Greeny wrote:
Uhm... I'm finding that hard to believe
Your forgetting something, this guy is Russian.
Russian's are.... odd?
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses

#15 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

VNQuality wrote:Well, I'm more afraid of what my head can be cut than arson mailbox.
Please pardon me, but I am very confused about what the quoted above even means as well as the first post. After reading the other comments, I'm trying to understand:

To answer the original question (I think?), you can remain anonymous when you create either medium, but if you plan to profit it from it, it's going to be difficult to remain unknown, at least realistically if you consider PayPal invoices and whatnot. In my opinion, if you are going to write something controversial, take ownership for it and the repercussions. I mean, even the webcomic Hipster Hitler brought a lot of criticism, but the creator at least made a statement about it. And that's a pretty mild form.

Honest Critique