Looking for a Ren'Py game with a long story and more

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Orinks

Looking for a Ren'Py game with a long story and more

#1 Post by Orinks »

Hi all,
Does anyone know of a game with lots of action? I don't mind romance, but I'd like some action as well. I've tried SunRider but that game seems too difficult for Ren'Py 6.18's new voice support feature to handle. The voice support helps totally blind users a lot, at least for playing games, so I hope it continues to be refined and improved.
SunRider after a while, even with the ability to skip battles due to the inaccessible battle system, becomes redundant with random clicking on the starmap to continue. I like the idea of an "almost" sandbox VN where you choose your activities, side missions etc, but even story choices wouldn't read because I guess the text is hand drawn. Where I am now with the research opening, mining opportunities opening, the map is getting filled with stuff and there is really no process for what I'm to do next. Plus, the core gameplay of the game, battles, I have to skip wich is kind of a bummer.
So, can anyone suggest a game where the story is action, not necessarily gameplay? The Ren'py games list doesn't help me much in this regard. Of course I want there to be a story as well where the action is justified. The only two romance games I like so far is Katawa Shoujo because, well I have a disability and so that naturally became an exception because I can relate, and i actually do like it. I'm not sure why Katawa SHoujo's auto mode will not work in 6.18 though.
The other one I tried on a wim is Guardians, and I like it because of the characters and the four very different personalities. There are 32 characters but only four girls to date, it seems. I'm almost done with that, ready for number two.
Also, does anyone have any games in testing or complete made with 6.18? I'd be curious if your game will use voice support right off the bat without loading it in the Ren'py launcher and moving the game directory. I should be able to run your game with voice support even without Ren'py being installed.

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

Re: Looking for a Ren'Py game with a long story and more

#2 Post by ririruetoo »

This is the wrong section for your question.
ImageImageImage

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#3 Post by SundownKid »

This voice support thing sounds interesting, I will definitely add it to my VN Icebound and future games once 6.18 is released. Hopefully there is a way to turn it off when a character's line is voice acted.

Icebound is not incredibly romance oriented and has a few action scenes in it, though it's not nonstop action. It might pique your interest, though the full game isn't voice acted yet.

Orinks

#4 Post by Orinks »

SundownKid wrote:This voice support thing sounds interesting, I will definitely add it to my VN Icebound and future games once 6.18 is released. Hopefully there is a way to turn it off when a character's line is voice acted.

Icebound is not incredibly romance oriented and has a few action scenes in it, though it's not nonstop action. It might pique your interest, though the full game isn't voice acted yet.
Hi,
I did see Icebound on the Ren'Py games list. I'll check it out with the current nightly release of 6.18 to see how it works. Also, it is not something you add, it is something that the player can turn on and off. I like this because if I went to a developer and asked for accessibility support, they're forced to provide it, as the engine is where it happens. So, all games have it and it makes me happy. Now of course if you do all kinds of hacking and modification to it like SunRider developers did, it's... there but it starts to become redundant as all choices and everything in the game, besides story text when it is scrolling, doesn't read and the overall core of the game is not accessible. Shame since it has everything I want in a VN. Nonstop action with room for romance, side content and more.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by gekiganwing »

Orinks wrote:I like the idea of an "almost" sandbox VN where you choose your activities, side missions etc, but even story choices wouldn't read because I guess the text is hand drawn.
This level of gameplay is not common in freeware. Idolcraft has game-relevant town exploration and simulation gameplay. The same person made Heartache 101, which lets the main character slowly explore the city and work on statistics. For what it's worth, neither one has much emphasis on story. Also, both were made with an RPG Maker program.

Some free Flash romance games allow for some player freedom. I played a couple of Pacthesis' games, namely Number Days and Chrono Days, and thought that they had a decent balance of simulation gameplay and story.

If you want to exploring Ren'py indie visual novels for gameplay that you might enjoy, then you might want to start looking through what's currently listed on Desura.

If you want specific advice, I recommend posting on the Visual Novel Suggestions sub-Reddit. You will probably benefit by mentioning the sort of story and gameplay you're looking for, and whether you're okay with adult content or commercial games.
Orinks wrote:The other one I tried on a wim is Guardians, and I like it because of the characters and the four very different personalities. There are 32 characters but only four girls to date, it seems.
I searched Player's Pavilion: Completed Games for "guardians" in the topic title, and then searched renai.us for "guardians". With both attempts, I found only one result. Neither one seemed to have thirty-two characters or four girls as romance options. What game or story are you referring to?

Hachiko
Regular

#6 Post by Hachiko »

"Accidental Demon Slayer" is a nice VN with lots of action.