ComiPo Benefits?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

ComiPo Benefits?

#1 Post by Caveat Lector »

(Sorry if this is the wrong area for this topic, I just wasn't sure if this should go under General Discussion or Other Story-Based Engines)

Let me start by saying that I LOVE the basic concept of ComiPo. I've even given the trial version a whirl. That being said, I've also taken a look at some of the reviews on Steam (yes, yes, I know, a dangerous past time!)...I'm not too wild about the whole "limited art assets" deal. And even that which is there in the demo doesn't entirely impress me. What if I wanted to create a butt-ugly character and not a cute moe character? What if I wanted to maybe adjust the shoulders and do this and that, etc.? I'd love to see someone take the basic concept of CompiPo and tweak it.

So if there are any CompiPo users out there, what are some of the benefits and drawbacks from your experience with it? Would you say there's much truth to the praise and/or criticisms of the program? If it goes on sale for one of those 85% Steam discount things, I might look into it. Otherwise, probably not.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

Re: ComiPo Benefits?

#2 Post by Kato »

I got comipo a little while ago with all the addon packages and overall it's pretty underwhelming. It would be nice, as you said, to have more freedom than moe character 2 with hairstyle 4. I find it useful for placeholder CGs and blueprints for my artists but as far as character modelling or making a manga I feel being able to manipulate bones and customise appearance more is needed before I could take it seriously.
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

TheOnlyKieran
Regular
Organization: NewWestGames
IRC Nick: TheOnlyKieran

#3 Post by TheOnlyKieran »

Does it have a lol of accessories? For example, if I wanted to make catgirls, maids, other various standards?

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#4 Post by Kato »

TheOnlyKieran wrote:Does it have a lol of accessories? For example, if I wanted to make catgirls, maids, other various standards?
Even with all the addons there's not a great deal. I believe there is one set of neko ears in there and most of the ribbons are paired with the ponytails (you can add 4 different tails to each base hair style, two left two right, from a pretty limited selection). There seems to be a small fan base making addons which I haven't looked too much into as it looks like it's more for props than anything. After all the steam addons though, I have maybe 4 outfits for female and 4 for male (preset colour changes are available for each) and 1 truely different character model from the norm (fat business man) but no maid outfit :lol: you're basically looking at school outfits, a couple causal outfits and a work outfit for each gender.

EDIT: I sound super critical here. It's actually a very fun program to use and with a stronger fan base working on extra content it would almost make up for the lack of customisation. However, putting the fun factor aside (which is what the program was made for) and looking for it's viability towards visual novels or general commercial releases from a producers point if view, short of placeholders (which is it actually really useful for) there doesn't seem to be a great use for it that I can think of.
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

TheOnlyKieran
Regular
Organization: NewWestGames
IRC Nick: TheOnlyKieran

#5 Post by TheOnlyKieran »

Thanks for the feedback! That helps a lot, it was something is considered for a free game :)

nebulaway
Regular
Organization: Magical Girl Tears
Tumblr: nebula-way
itch: basicbaka

#6 Post by nebulaway »

It's a good thing I saw this thread because I've been thinking about getting it (when there's a great price on it of course haha) but I wanted to use it as a reference because I can't draw.
magical girl tears

current projects:
[ nothing (yet?) ]
always looking for a project to join as a writer!
please pm me if you'd like to collaborate with me!

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by SusanTheCat »

I love ComiPo!

Here is a webcomic I made with it: http://www.garionthecat.com/comic/

I agree that the assets are limited. The poses are super limited. You can only move the hands and head.

I ran into trouble when I wanted the girls to go to a dance. I ended up painting the dresses right on the image. It was easier than drawing from scratch though!
mirror_magic_016.jpg
Clip Studio Paint has a similar 3D feature: http://www.clipstudio.net/en
It currently has fewer models, but is miles ahead because you can repose the figures any way you want and the figures all esist in the same 3D space so you don't have to do frames from hell.

This was a NIGHTMARE to do since one of his arms is in front and the other is behind. The girl is made out of two poses. I think I have like 10+ frames in this one picture.

There is LOTS you can do with ComiPo! if you use some tricks.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas