Help me induct a friend into the wonderful world of VN!

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Tatty
Regular
Projects: Buyan

Help me induct a friend into the wonderful world of VN!

#1 Post by Tatty »

Hello, all!

So, I've got a question - I've got a v. good friend who I would love to introduce to visual novels. They're somewhat unfamiliar and uninterested in anime style/aesthetic, although it doesn't really displease them either. In addition, they're rather prudish, so my usual stock of otome games are out and I respect that and want to try giving them some things they'll generally enjoy. When I say rather prudish, I'm heavily debating not recommending Umineko to them; although it's one of my favorites, I feel even Battler's hard pg-13 Battlerisms wouldn't really sit well with them.

And with that, I'd like to open the flood gates and ask for help! They're most interested in science-fiction, mystery, and adventure, especially with a more modern bent to it. As such, here's the list of VN's and VN-likes I've got so far:

Steins;Gate, Hatoful Boyfriend, the Ace Attorney series + Ghost Trick, possibly Umineko (they'd love the atmosphere and story, but - ). I would like a few more professional titles, perhaps a few more hand-held 'VN-likes' (Nine Doors, maybe? Hotel Dusk??), and - of course - your own recommendations. English-language, please!

Naturally, I'd like you to keep in mind that anything that is really much more then pg-13 content-wise is going to lose their interest quickly; they're fine with violence, though, so go figure. I don't think they're really big on romance (of any kind) either, though they're not really opposed to it as long as it doesn't distract from the plot. If you recommend a game from the Forums/your own game, I'll try to get around to reviewing myself as well, though I've been kittens for time, recently; so just expect it random and arbitrarily into the future!

Thanks a million - and please wish me luck! :mrgreen:

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: Help me induct a friend into the wonderful world of VN!

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

999's a good title, though very mindfuck-y because of alternate realities and stuff. Hotel Dusk is a little more down-to-Earth, though just a little.

For crazy murder mysteries, Danganronpa is among the best.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Evolution
Regular
Projects: ???

#3 Post by Evolution »

Remember11 and Ever17 are good sci-fi/mystery titles, both with absolutely no sexual content!

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#4 Post by trooper6 »

What about Cyanide Tea's The Elevator?
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#5 Post by SundownKid »

I would definitely include Hotel Dusk and Ghost Trick. 999 could also be a good option although the art style is anime. (Then again, most VN's are.)

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#6 Post by MaiMai »

The World Ends With You, while definitely more of a game, has a lot of VN mechanics.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Tatty
Regular

#7 Post by Tatty »

Wow, so much good advice! Thank you all, kindly! I really appreciate it; I feel like I kind of messed up my first pitch to them, and this should let them make their own opinion on the matter.

Taleweaver - Wow, I can't believe I didn't think of Danganronpa! I went in with my eyes rolled and expecting not to like it, and by the end, had entirely ended up loving the story and characters. It's perfect for my friend's taste, too. Thank you! (And yeah, you're right on about the content in 999, but I think they can handle it? Perhaps? Hrmrn....)

Evolution - Ah, fantastic recommends. I haven't previewed Remember11 yet, but I heartily enjoyed Ever17, especially as the plot went on. I *know* they'd have a good chance of enjoying it, and thanks for both recommendations!

trooper6 - Woah! Well, all I can say is that even if they don't like it, I imagine I will. ;) That being said, it looks like the kind of game they'd enjoy as well, as they're a huge fan of the trappings of noir, art deco, etc! Thank you for the excellent recommend!

SundownKid - They don't dislike anime at all; they just won't jump towards it either. I'm kind of trying to guess some of their interests to fill in the blanks, which makes this more challenging then it needs to be, perhaps. Anyway - thanks, I'm glad to hear another recommend for Ghost Trick. Missile thanks you! :P

MaiMai - You know, another title that completely slipped my mind. I was really opposed to playing it because fashion and young people, and then I finally broke down and played it and loved every minute of it. That's just how I am, I guess, ahaha! Anyway, yeah, that's definitely another title I'd recommend!

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by trooper6 »

Tatty, what is cool about The Elevator, is that whike it is noir, it is also sci-fi. Really, I love the universe they created. I wish Cyanide Tea would make another game set in that universe!
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Tatty
Regular

#9 Post by Tatty »

Ah, they haven't? DRAT! I just finished it, and absolutely *LOVED* it. It hit every single thing I love in a novel, VN or other-wise! Ahaha, I especially loved the feedback method they chose. (And thank you so much for linking it to m- er, my friend!) Anyway...

To all those present, the project was a success! So far at least. I'll watch carefully to see how the process matures, and take notes on how best to future-nurture new invitees... ;)

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by trooper6 »

Yeah, it is really great! The Elevator is definitely in my Top 5 favorite VNs of all time, and it might even be #1. I also think it is a great way to introduce people to English language and Western aesthetic VNs.
A Close Shave: