question about age level

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

question about age level

#1 Post by papillon »

Hi! I'm yet-another-game-designer (but I do have finished products out there! honest!) and I have a question...

Basically, it was recommended to me that I might want to trade links with you on my game site - since I have only one product at the moment, I'm listing some other anime-themed games or other things that might be of interest to the same audience as my game.

So I'm wondering about the content level of Tales of Lemma. My stuff is *not* 100% G-rated, but it goes no further than putting a girl in a bikini and commenting that men might give her money because she's cute. :) There may also be mild shoujo-ai hints in upcoming works, but subtle ones - I'm pretty much thinking 12+ is my range.

So... what exactly is in this game of yours? (I tried to run it once and couldn't make it work, iirc, or I'd have an answer myself.) It says "sexually suggestive content" but what does that entail? Is there any nudity? Anything I should worry about before linking to it?

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#2 Post by Blue Lemma »

I visited your site, and the game looks really cool! 8) It definitely seems like a unique anime game, and that's what Lemma Soft is all about. So yeah, we should trade links! :)

As far as the sexually suggestive content in Tales of Lemma 1:
(some spoilers, people :P)

* there is some slight innuendo
* the player can decide to pull Miko's jeans down (she's wearing panties, though)
* the player accidentally catches Miko in her undies while she's changing in the morning

Overall, I think most people would agree that it's a cute, mostly innocent game. Looking back, it's probably more of a 13+ than a 15+, but I wanted to be safe. ^_^

However, Tales of Lemma 2 will be a bit more racy. (Look at the Tales of Lemma 2 page to see why.) There might even be some exposed anime breasts! :shock: Right now it's looking like it's going to be a 16+. Future games will be all over the map, ranging from all ages to (possibly, who knows) more adult titles. If I do make games for an older audience later, say 17 and over, I'm going to put them in a separate section of the site that will be clearly marked. I'm not trying to, and I don't really have anything to gain from getting inappropriate audiences to play my games. I make sure each game's rating is clearly marked both on the download page and when the game starts up, and I give the reasons for the rating. I've decided that's the responsible thing to do.

So, if this sounds okay and you want to trade links, just let me know! Also, to other people reading this post, if you have comments or criticisms of how I handle the age ratings of the games, please post in this thread. I'd like to hear what other people think and if they have ideas on ways I might improve the system.

Thanks! :)

(P.S. - Tales of Lemma 2 will have improved compatibility since I've learned a lot from people's issues with ToL 1 ;) If you post your problem with getting the game to work on the Bugs and Support forum, I can help you with ToL 1.)

Elinica

#3 Post by Elinica »

For ToL1, I'd say it'd be a 15+ game, so that probably means that it's about 13+. :)

Papillon, I've played the demo of your Charm School game, and I think it's very fun. :) Unfortunately, I don't have enough resources to spend on the full version right now. ^_^;

Eiji
Regular

#4 Post by Eiji »

I tried it too.. looks just as well thought out as "princess maker 2" (I played a hacked copy of the english version thats been floating around in the net.. but was never actually released).

the only thing I can find wrong is that theres no explanation of the controls... maybe you should include a how-to page of some type..

Zanzarah had something like that too.. that could be used in-game.. if you have that, take a look... might give you some ideas.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#5 Post by papillon »

okay, there's now a link to you at http://www.hanakogames.com/other.shtml :)

Yeah, at the moment I only have the manual packaged with the full version, I should probably put together some better in-game help. I'll put that on the to-do list for my next release (I just did a big update, changing the interface look on the stats screens to be more pretty instead of just number percentages).

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder

#6 Post by Blue Lemma »

Thanks! I have to go out right now, but when I get home, I'll put a link to your site up. :)

Jinnai
Regular

#7 Post by Jinnai »

You do link exchanges with non-anime game sites? I'd trying to get the site i'm working at to get more widely seen and since i like anime games :)

Its still up in the air, but as i am a plot admin, i carry a bit more weight than the average memeber at the site.
)'.'(
Power of Sqyishyness!!

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder

#8 Post by Blue Lemma »

Sure, non-pro game sites are great for linking! :D

Jinnai
Regular

#9 Post by Jinnai »

Blue Lemma wrote:Sure, non-pro game sites are great for linking! :D
http://www.hero6.com

BTW you need to make a banner. once you do we can put you up on the site.

Email polagro@hotmail.com when you have one and let him know that this was the site Jinnai was talking about.[/url]
)'.'(
Power of Sqyishyness!!

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder

#10 Post by Blue Lemma »

Will do :)