MMMORPG

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Ren

Re: MMMORPG

#31 Post by Ren »

I only played a bit of Fiesta online(which I now don't know how to uninstall, argh!), it's pretty cute but I'm probably not well suited for MMMORPGs, killing a lot of lowlife beings to advance a level kind of...kills me.
Playing Phantasy Star Online years ago on the Dreamcast was really fun too, and I didn't have to pay...I wish I could play Shenmue online ;_; The addiction to that game came back as I was talking about it yesterday...

*derails the thread with a waterfall of tears*I want Shenmue 3!T^T

M12
Veteran

#32 Post by M12 »

Cool. I'm going to check out the suggestions when I have time *damn work =P!*. Hopefully we'll get more players =D?...

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#33 Post by Otaku Dash »

Ren wrote:I only played a bit of Fiesta online(which I now don't know how to uninstall, argh!), it's pretty cute but I'm probably not well suited for MMMORPGs, killing a lot of lowlife beings to advance a level kind of...kills me.
Playing Phantasy Star Online years ago on the Dreamcast was really fun too, and I didn't have to pay...I wish I could play Shenmue online ;_; The addiction to that game came back as I was talking about it yesterday...

*derails the thread with a waterfall of tears*I want Shenmue 3!T^T

*poofs out of nowhere*

PSO!!?! DID SOMEONE SAY PSO!?!?!?! *jumps like crazy*

Yeha I have a dreamcast too and I was (well I AM... trying to get the epsiode I & II for gamecube to play on my bro's wii =3 ) a major player back when the game was kicking ass and tagging names :P HUMAR ADN HUCAST FOR THE WIN!!! Though I went farther with an HuCast... mine deployment is so much fun ^^ (yes I bought both versions for dreamcast).

OMG DON'T GET ME STARTING ON SHENMUE!! I just love that game.. I played both to exaustion and I would still be playing if there wasn't the probs with my dreamcast T_T I wish I could play shenmue online!!!! T_T (AND I WANT EPISODE 3!!!! ... when things get uber interesting on the 2nd... BOOOM!! END!! ARGGHH!!).

As for Free games... I played Silkroad Online (http://www.silkroadonline.net/) a while back.. it's a hello of addiction, and it's free.. well it was last time I checked... but since I entered Uni I had less time and most of the people I knew were converted to WoW... DAMN YOU WOW!!!! T_T Still a very good game with a balanced system.

AS for joining the group I wouldn't mind really ^^ Online games are fun with people you know around so the more the merrier I suppose. I love 2D sprites and Disgaea like battles (DISGAEA FAN HERE!! xD) so Between Ro and Trickster it's a thought call... but in a long time I've been fond of trying out Trickster..the system on it seems awesome and fun to play (omg look at the cute drills!! =3 ) ^^

OOps... this is what happens when you are away for too long... sorry for the huge text ^^;
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#34 Post by lordcloudx »

Oh right, I forgot to mention. You guys choose any game you like as long as its free, I'm in.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#35 Post by Otaku Dash »

lordcloudx wrote:Oh right, I forgot to mention. You guys choose any game you like as long as its free, I'm in.
Ditto ^^

HUZZA! Silkroad is still free =3 Maybe I'll pick it up again on the side if it isn't picked for us to play :P *shiny eyes looking at the new pets and items* *3* xD
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

M12
Veteran

#36 Post by M12 »

Darn work is taking up all of my time. I haven't had time to work on Bermuda or anything. Hopefully I can return to this MMORPG business soon @_@!

Mirena (lazy mode)

#37 Post by Mirena (lazy mode) »

Just a note about silkroad.. I tried that game but I never got into any of the servers since there were way too many people on.. so if you dislike to re-open the client every time you can't connect I don't advise that one.

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#38 Post by Otaku Dash »

Mirena (lazy mode) wrote:Just a note about silkroad.. I tried that game but I never got into any of the servers since there were way too many people on.. so if you dislike to re-open the client every time you can't connect I don't advise that one.
Yeah that's something I forgot to mention... well at least the old version worked like that ^^; I dunno now since it's a recent build. Still it was a bit a pain in the neck trying to connect and getting kicked off for a bit since the servers where too populated... they did add new servers recently for the new build so I dunno. That's why I said I would pick it up on the side if it wasn't picked up xD

Still my sights are on trickster so far.. I'll check the others when i can :)

Lucifiel
Regular

#39 Post by Lucifiel »

Mmorpgs, eh?

At the moment, they don't interest me any longer since the first Mmorpg I played was back in 1998(The Realms by Sierra Online) and have tried various Mmos on and off along the years. And despite all the touted "innovations", many mmorpgs have not really evolved much from "dungeon crawls", "inventory hoarding", "item crafting" or basically using combat(aka violence) to resolve almost everything. Let's face it: the earliest dungeon crawl non-mmorpg games were created in the what? 70s or was it the 80s? That's not much of an innovation then, eh?

And let's not talk about social interaction: until mmorpgs can effectively deal with the issue of players acting like spoilt kids and bots and other elements destructive to interaction, "social interaction" is a pain in online games since players are often forced to form tightly knit groups to ward against such issues. And that sorta puts a stinker in "social interaction" and gameplay since there's little fun in dealing with being PKed, stolen loot, etc. And this means dealing with other players requires a lot of caution and sometimes even a large degree of suspicion. Where's the fun in that, though?

To me, role-playing is defined as a series of actions you can choose from as a fictional character and a great mmorpg would be a game where an event is treated like a puzzle where there're multiple solutions like combat, negotiation, or even a duel via a mini-game like chess or something else. The trick would be, as the player, to find out what works and what doesn't for a particular npc.

Even then, would it be really worth it to implement all these? For npcs to have a really dynamic AI system would probably mean something along the lines of Witcher, Mass Effect, etc.(haven't played either of these but well, I've heard quite a bit about the AI). And for players to use such options against or with other players would mean a lot of work which means a higher development cost.

In the end, I'll just opt for a normal game until technology makes such options feasible at a reasonable cost.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#40 Post by lordcloudx »

Umm... yeah, everything you said is relatively true, but in my case, I just wanted to have some light interactive gaming fun with some of the forum members here since I find that none of them really act like spoiled kids. If we have any differences of opinion, we tend to settle them in a polite, educated manner from my experience.

So there's the problem of these so-called "destructive elements" to social interaction. I believe that these elements, albeit in slightly different forms, will always exist in any environment where a society of intelligent beings is created. That aside, there are many mmorpgs where pk-ing is not possible such as Ragnarok Online. There are even non-violent mmo games like Pangya and Audition Dance Battle Online. It doesn't have to be a dungeon-crawl... but then again, there's nothing wrong with dungeon-crawlers as long as you have fun and don't take it too seriously.

But anyway, if it doesn't work out, there's always always the "log out and uninstall the game" option.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Ren

#41 Post by Ren »

But anyway, if it doesn't work out, there's always always the "log out and uninstall the game" option.
Haha, for me that doesn't seem to work:P
Playing with this forum's members huh?that would be quite interesting.

Lucifiel
Regular

#42 Post by Lucifiel »

lordcloudx wrote:Umm... yeah, everything you said is relatively true, but in my case, I just wanted to have some light interactive gaming fun with some of the forum members here since I find that none of them really act like spoiled kids. If we have any differences of opinion, we tend to settle them in a polite, educated manner from my experience.
Ahh... that's great. :)
So there's the problem of these so-called "destructive elements" to social interaction. I believe that these elements, albeit in slightly different forms, will always exist in any environment where a society of intelligent beings is created. That aside, there are many mmorpgs where pk-ing is not possible such as Ragnarok Online. There are even non-violent mmo games like Pangya and Audition Dance Battle Online. It doesn't have to be a dungeon-crawl... but then again, there's nothing wrong with dungeon-crawlers as long as you have fun and don't take it too seriously.
Hmmm... well, having played tons of dungeon crawlers for years, I'm tired of them now.

Actually, I should've been more exact in my usage of words. These days, there've been various incidents where players use hacks or even scripts or some other method to bypass bot/etc. protection.

It's pretty extreme, I admit, but there've also been an increasing number of cases of players enacting "sexual assault", "simulated rape", "blackmail", etc. on another player(s). For example: player B tells player A:"If you don't do as I say, I'll find your family and this (while pointing to his guild members/friends/scripts enacting out a murder or rape) will happen to them and you".

In such a case, the player will need sound evidence in order to prove his case should he feel threatened enough to approach the game moderators or even the police. Even then, the concerned parties might not really take you seriously or it might be too late for them to take an action by the time they learn about it. And I don't think there's any kinda safeguard against this, is there?

And about bot protection, that's kinda true about RO though the protection can only go so far. There're new scripts and methods being invented every now and then. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if someone invents a hardware which is used for carrying out for botting(like what hackers use) in order to simulate various behaviours like DDOS.

To me: people having quarrels and fighting is common but when does "something" get "too far"?
Quite true. :) Although some stalkers take things really far. They'll spend their time tracking and following you. By which time, you might have to rely on local law enforcement. And the big question is: what kind of laws do they have regarding cyber harrassment and will they do anything about it?

Lucifiel
Regular

#43 Post by Lucifiel »

Ren wrote:
Haha, for me that doesn't seem to work:P
Playing with this forum's members huh?that would be quite interesting.

Hmmm... am I wrong or is that the rabbit from Sam and Max in your avatar? (I never found the games to my taste but hey... I do recognise him!) :)

Ren

#44 Post by Ren »

Sam!Yup yup!That's him :3
XD I'm a huge fan of this kind of game(Lucasarts stuff)

Lucifiel
Regular

#45 Post by Lucifiel »

Ren wrote:Sam!Yup yup!That's him :3
XD I'm a huge fan of this kind of game(Lucasarts stuff)
Ooh... I've played Monkey's Island 1 and 2(need to finish MI3), Maniac Mansion and Day of the Tentacle, etc.

But I'm also a fan of Quest for Glory(awesome series for its' time), Gabriel Knight and a few other Sierra games. They were annoying 'cos you could fail to complete a puzzle and as a result, lose the game but the puzzles were rather practical: the items/pieces can be found and with a bit of logic, you could solve them.

In contrast, Lucasarts' puzzles tend to confuse the heck out of me as they'd so many inventory items you could use for other puzzles as well(but you weren't permitted to). So I'd spend hours getting stumped and resort to random clicking or to walkthroughs.