What Are Some Common Visual Novel Clichés?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Rossfellow
Veteran
Projects: Sedatophobia
Organization: Team 3Edgy
Deviantart: l-rossfellow

Re: What Are Some Common Visual Novel Clichés?

#31 Post by Rossfellow »

Perhaps the most common cliché in visual novels or any story game in general is the concept of True End/Noncanon End.

It's nice to see on a one-shot story, but when it comes to a bigger, continuing universe with sequels and the whatnot, invalidating the conclusion you've reached is quite a funny, not necessarily nice feeling.

Dammit, the 90 hours I spent as Hamuko from Persona 3 Portable were all canon! ALL CANON! SHE LIVES IN MY HEEEAAART!

Of course, not every story-driven game has to be like Telltale Games or The Secret World, where instead of changing an outcome, it changes your journey towards it. I sure want more of them, though.

Edit: I like bad ends. They can be entertaining. Ever looked forward to catching this screen?

Case-by-case basis, I guess.
ImageImage
Sedatophobia (latin SedatoPhobia)
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.
______Related: Madness, Paranoia, Despair