████▓▒░ NANORENO 2015 ░▒▓████

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
agentyoda
Regular

Re: ████▓▒░ NANORENO 2015 ░▒▓████

#16 Post by agentyoda »

Fungii wrote:Oh man I got an idea for a nano today on my way to work, thing is how do you get a writer on board when you're an artist, haha
It seems like there's a lot more writers than artists looking for groups; you can look in the Recruitment thread. You'll probably be able to find someone who's interested!

yoshibb
Veteran

#17 Post by yoshibb »

PyTom wrote:Traditionally, we've allowed fanfiction in NaNoRenO, although it's been somewhat rare. NaNoRenO is fairly rules light - if you think you're making a NaNoRenO game, and it it comes out within a few weeks of April 1, who are we to argue?

You'd have to ask Spring Thing for their rules, if you're going to participate there.
I was kind of wondering about this too. I was thinking about doing a Legend of Zelda otome but I was a little afraid that I would get in trouble for copyrights or something. I could always go back and make it all original fiction, but I think it would be more fun to leave it LoZ.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#18 Post by PyTom »

The unofficial forum policy on fanfic is we allow it until the copyright holder complains, then we'll comply with their wishes. We'll cave like an unreinforced mine shaft, or something.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

#19 Post by Fungii »

agentyoda wrote:
Fungii wrote:Oh man I got an idea for a nano today on my way to work, thing is how do you get a writer on board when you're an artist, haha
It seems like there's a lot more writers than artists looking for groups; you can look in the Recruitment thread. You'll probably be able to find someone who's interested!
Oh true! Another question is how do you work with a writer?? Tell them key points you want to happen and then read+review what they make? This probably sounds like super obvious questions but I'm from the other side of the field here, haha.

agentyoda
Regular

#20 Post by agentyoda »

Fungii wrote:Oh true! Another question is how do you work with a writer?? Tell them key points you want to happen and then read+review what they make? This probably sounds like super obvious questions but I'm from the other side of the field here, haha.
Well, you'll probably want to view writing samples to see how the writer writes scenes; if you're accepting someone as a writer, it's difficult to try to make them write in a different style. So you're probably going to get the writing style that you choose.

Besides that, you'll need to establish their role in the chain of command when you recruit them. Do you have a plot outline already, or do you want their help to come up with one? Will you be taking on other writers or editors? Address those points when you are recruiting; otherwise, you might get writers applying who have different expectations than you.

VAPMichaelaLaws
Regular
Completed: Check Signature!
Projects: Check Signature!
Organization: Seraphim Entertainment
Tumblr: thebunnyofevil

#21 Post by VAPMichaelaLaws »

This'll be after SM, so I'm excited to join the jam fray =3 <3 -So many ideas already!!- Can't wait to see other people's entry creations!
Voice Actress | Singer | Writer | Producer | Director
http://www.michaelaamandalaws.com/
--------
Completed Projects: My Teacher (NaNoReno2013), Pizz'Amore, My Lady, Our School Love (Otome Audio CD), Our Honeymoon (Otome Audio CD), Seduce Me, Maid With Perfection (NaNoReno2015), Blind Love (ILUjam 2015), Love And Romance: A Study Of Intimacy, Seduce Me 2: The Demon War, Remember, Remember
Projects Still In Production: All For You

Shaples
Regular
Completed: Christmas Sweaters
Projects: White Lie, Tropichu!

#22 Post by Shaples »

Fungii wrote:Another question is how do you work with a writer??
Very carefully. We're fragile flowers. :lol: Seriously, though, I'm going to give you a way-too-long answer, because I think starting out on the right foot is the best way to ensure that a project actually works and everyone is happy.

1. Pitch your idea and see who bites - this will give you a baseline group of people who are enthusiastic for your project.

2. Ask for writing samples - this will whittle the group down to the people whose work YOU like.

3. Chat with your top candidates about their ideas for your project, their work habits, and communication style. Even when working with someone else's idea, most writers need a little creative wiggle room, so you want to find someone whose vision matches yours (better yet: someone whose ideas make yours even better), not to mention someone you feel like you can talk to and rely on. I kind of hate the idea of a chain of command in a small team, but like agentyoda said, be upfront about how much creative control the writer will have. Ideally, flexibility on your part is better (for the writer, at least!), but either way make expectations clear. Talking about these things early on should ping any red flags and (hopefully) make one person stand out as a good fit.

4. Once you settle on a writer, start talking specifics: go over your outline or any specific details that are important to you, have them help you flesh out the details that are missing, and start working on the big picture of the project (detailed outlines, character profiles, etc). Also talk about non writing/art responsibilities, like coding and music, and figure out who will handle them if it's just going to be the two of you. Figure out together how and how often you want to communicate: do you want to see new writing scene by scene, once a week, something else? Do they want to see sketches, finished work, have short daily check-ins? Clarity here will save you both a lot of needless misery if you aren't on the same wavelength; don't assume anything. For something like NaNo in particular, it's also important to talk scope: how many words will they realistically be able to write in a month, and what sort of art assets will you be able to give them to work with? If your limit is two sprites and two BGs (or whatever), it's important to know that at the start, because it will definitely shape the story. (Hint: most writers have no concept at all of the amount of time/effort that goes into making art, so shut down any "maybe we could add just one more sprite/pose/outfit/bg/cg" talk as early as possible).

5. Communicate as planned. Exchange work and feedback, fixing problems with writing/art as you go. Ideally, with the right pre-planning, things will go smoothly, but if something isn't working, speak up. It's important not to be overly precious about your work, but a lot of writers struggle with this. Sandwich criticism with compliments, and if there's a major problem, be firm but kind about it. (This is also a reason to be on the lookout for insecurity in stages 1-3: it will only get worse). If you run into any major delays, talk about it. If you're loving the way things are going, talk about it. If you don't have time to talk about it, TALK ABOUT IT. Being afraid to communicate, or putting off communicating, is basically the worst thing you can do for a project. Agreed upon radio silence is fine; biting your tongue and bottling is toxic.

6. Repeat #5 until complete.

7. High five, you made a game!

TL;DR: TALK TO EACH OTHER

Also, bonus tip: writers are going to show up because they love your art, and showing them art will make them SO HAPPY. That crappy sketch you're probably going to redraw? They want to cuddle it. Seriously. Collectively, we writers can barely finger paint, so what you do seems like magic. We hope you feel the same way about what we do, but - LOOK! ART! *Points! Sparkles! Pets!*

potouto
Veteran
Projects: (งツ)ว
Organization: MOONBBIT☆

#23 Post by potouto »

I hope I can join.
Man, I want to join but do you scout an artist out of the blue. I'm pretty much up for anything since big break is coming. But what about the senior year. I still haven't gotten any idea, may be I will jump in to help someone with writing or GUI.

yeah well | commission | website

Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

#24 Post by Fungii »

Josie wrote:I hope I can join.
Man, I want to join but do you scout an artist out of the blue. I'm pretty much up for anything since big break is coming. But what about the senior year. I still haven't gotten any idea, may be I will jump in to help someone with writing or GUI.
Last time there was a NaNo recruitment thread, I don't know if another one will pop up this year, or if THIS is technically the recruitment thread, but hopefully a new one will show up soon enough.

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#25 Post by Hazel-Bun »

I think it's reasonable to just make this the recruitment thread! Recruitment/I'm super excited to (maybe/defiantly) join haha
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#26 Post by Deji »

I was thinking about a recruitment tread this morning, since we may need some help with stuff :'3
I think a couple of threads on the recruitment section (one for solos looking to join a team and one for teams looking for extra members) or just one would do :3
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Akai85
Regular
Projects: Dawn of the Humans(WWIP), The Diamond Man(WWIP)
Organization: ermineSt.
Deviantart: ermineSt.

#27 Post by Akai85 »

I really want to do a game for Valentines Day (timing????) and a kinetic novel for this. We'll see how it goes what with classes starting in three days. *hyperventilates*

The good thing is I already have the ideas. The bad things is assets and programming since as a writer (and sort of artist) I haven't delved into that yet. Yikes...

(Also as for the writing thing I make a document with important notes on the characters like their hair and stuff so I don't forget and I work off outlines asking for clarification when needed and refining the writing into something both parties are happy with. Communication is pretty Important. In terms of working with someone it might also help you to look for a character writer if you have strict outlines because then their writing will be focused on the characters inter-relationships and such, which is easier to work in genres where prose changes dramatically as opposed to someone who has a very distinct style of writing - action (short sentences, less introspection), romance, etc. So looking for someone who writes in your style/genre and/or concentrates on character (which usually takes precedence in a short game though not always) should make collaboration a little easier IMO. Hope this helps! :))
I did nothing. And still I rise.
And still I rise.

Kinjo
Veteran
Completed: When the Seacats Cry
Projects: Detective Butler
Organization: Goldbar Games
Tumblr: kinjo-goldbar
Deviantart: Kinjo-Goldbar
Github: GoldbarGames
itch: goldbargames

#28 Post by Kinjo »

If you're an artist looking to join a project, my team and I have made a recruitment thread for our idea.

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#29 Post by Godline »

Would love to take part. But it depends what comes along. :)
I still do have other projects to complete. BUTTTT there are a couple of people I wouldn't mind working with. So if something works out before then, it does. If not - hopefully that'll mean Kaitlyn in Chinaland will be out sooner than expected. ;) Haha.

potouto
Veteran
Projects: (งツ)ว
Organization: MOONBBIT☆

#30 Post by potouto »

@Fungii: Oh a recruitment thread would be very convenient, yes. And just may be, there will be chances for people to find their suiting teammate, yeah, I hope people will open one soon. I'm really excited!!

yeah well | commission | website